No Carb? Low Fat? Low Calorie? Which one?

Options
What is the most effective "diet" when it comes to significant weight loss? I've got about 100 pounds to lose and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. A friend at work does the no carb thing. I've thought perhaps I just need to keep under my allotted calories. I do not want to spend a bunch of money on diet trends either. What has worked for you?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Less calories than you burn, but as many as possible to maintain sanity and health. (ie too low is not better)

You don't need low carb or low fat - you may find one of these works for you in terms of food satisfaction, but not a requirement. I would make sure to eat minimum protein and fat requirements at least, then use up the rest of your calories in the way that works best for you.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Just eat less calories than you expend and you will lose weight.

Plug your data into MFP, set a weight loss target, eat the cals it allocates.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The most effective diet for weight loss is one that 1) provides a consistent calorie deficit and 2) you can stick to.

Eat food you like, get enough of all the nutrition you need (including appropriate amount of calories), not too much of anything (calories in particular), and don't bother with unnecessary stuff. You have to eat less and move more for a long time, so don't overcomplicate it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The most effective diet is one that introduces a calorie deficit, and is the easiest one for you to follow. Having a lot of weight to lose you are in it for the long haul, and making yourself as comfortable as reasonably possible is important.

Personally, none of the approaches you mentioned works for me so I do none of it. Low carb and low fat are too restrictive, and low calorie is not sustainable. For me, personally, a moderate calorie deficit and no food rules other than preference and my own "is it worth it" judgement is the best approach.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ask yourself, what foods fill you up the most? What plan can you stick with the longest? If anything, play around with your macros a bit to see what helps keep you on track. Largely for me, starches and carbs fill me up. I carb/calorie cycle, so I have 3 low carb days and 4 high carb days. My low carb days are the biggest trouble in terms of hunger (i also have a few hundred calories less on those days). My high carb days, i generally eat ice cream because all the carbs and protein fill me up very quickly and I want to ensure i have adequate calories for recovery.

Typically, protein and fiber has the greatest satiation ratings. Fats and carbs are more dependent on the person. So increasing protein and fiber will make this a bit easier.
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I prefer a calorie deficit, low carb etc, does not work for me. I also only look at my weekly deficit, so for example some days I eat more calories than other days. So if I have a birthday, dinner etc I can eat 'bad' food without gaining weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Less calories than you burn, but as many as possible to maintain sanity and health. (ie too low is not better)

You don't need low carb or low fat - you may find one of these works for you in terms of food satisfaction, but not a requirement. I would make sure to eat minimum protein and fat requirements at least, then use up the rest of your calories in the way that works best for you.

This.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    As others said,a calorie deficit. MFP figures that in for you so just eat to your goal calories. The most useful tool you'll find to accomplish this is a food scale. Don't rely on measuring cups/spoons/packaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    CICO
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The only money you should spend should be on a digital scale and food. Stick to a calorie deficit (in your case 1.5-2 pounds a week should be reasonable). Move more. Have patience. Losing weight shouldn't mean avoiding whole macros or foods you enjoy. It also shouldn't be about losing weight in your wallet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The best and most effective diet plan is one that you can follow without being so miserable that you give up. For me, that is moderate fat, moderate protein, slightly high carb, high fiber.

That doesn't mean this will be the best one for you though. People are different. Find what works best for you.