Back at it - this time with exercise! NO LOSS!? Help!

Options
(5'4" SW: 180, Got down to 150, CW: 160)
First, a year and a half ago I lost 30 pounds almost exclusively by changing my diet, with a few long weekend walks for good measure. About six months in I stopped losing, and knew I likely needed to include some exercise. Cut to now, I joined a local gym and have been using a weight-loss running interval app for the past two weeks, counting calories again, and working towards my ultimate goal of landing somewhere in the 130's.

What I know: CICO is key. I know this, I follow this, I do this, it's done. Please don't suggest there is an error in my counting ways.

What I don't understand: I'm gaining weight. And yes, it's a pound or so since I've started, but I've NEVER experienced this response with my body at the start of simply eating better. It's stressing me out, even though I know that weight loss is not linear. I watched my body do it's thing for a year and I never felt as confused as I do now.

So I've been feeding myself (except not ;P) a few of these explanations - Hey, self. You just started working out and sometimes your body reacts to that by not losing the weight right away. Also, I'm not always eating back all of my calories from working out, and have ended up with 500+ calories remaining on a least two days this week, could that be the problem? And finally - I must be doing something wrong. Right now I'm only running, but plan to include some weights and classes as I get more comfortable with the equipment and the gym, so maybe cardio just isn't working (I can barely type that because I just KNOW it isn't true).

SO I'm just looking for some feedback, some encouragement some "hey, that happened to be too" to be help me hang in through this transition that my body is going through. So, thanks.

Also, if someone posts that damn flow chart - so help me...

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Muscles and water weight from muscle recovery. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't gaining new muscle, you are since you are brand new at this. It's a little helpful at this point to go by your measurements and how your clothes fit. It took me a good month to start to see a loss on the scale after beginning to workout. And as I get more fit I keep changing up the workouts, so there is no real time to recover.

I do know from YEARS ago, when I wanted to be at my thinnest for a certain event, I would stop working out 3-4 days prior. This gave my body a chance to recover and release water.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Also, think about your goals. Do you want to be skinny, or do you want to be healthy? You're getting healthier and stronger and fitter with every workout. It's frustrating if it pauses your weight loss for a bit, but hang in there and it will work. And you'll be better with every bit of exercise you do. Get some non-scale records going so you can see your endurance and strength increasing.
  • Master_Butcher
    Master_Butcher Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Also, think about your goals. Do you want to be skinny, or do you want to be healthy? You're getting healthier and stronger and fitter with every workout. It's frustrating if it pauses your weight loss for a bit, but hang in there and it will work. And you'll be better with every bit of exercise you do. Get some non-scale records going so you can see your endurance and strength increasing.

This is the truth.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading right, 2 weeks ago you started running/working out and counting calories again? 2 weeks is too little time to judge, but a 1 pound gain could be a) tom/hormones water weight or b) muscle adjustment water weight or c) some other source of water weight like sodium, stress, sleep distruption, etc. etc. etc.

If you're confident you are accurately & honestly logging your calories in, then give it another 4-6 weeks. Patience. :)
    easybeezy wrote: »
    (5'4" SW: 180, Got down to 150, CW: 160)
    First, a year and a half ago I lost 30 pounds almost exclusively by changing my diet, with a few long weekend walks for good measure. About six months in I stopped losing, and knew I likely needed to include some exercise. Cut to now, I joined a local gym and have been using a weight-loss running interval app for the past two weeks, counting calories again, and working towards my ultimate goal of landing somewhere in the 130's.

What I know: CICO is key. I know this, I follow this, I do this, it's done. Please don't suggest there is an error in my counting ways.

What I don't understand: I'm gaining weight. And yes, it's a pound or so since I've started, but I've NEVER experienced this response with my body at the start of simply eating better. It's stressing me out, even though I know that weight loss is not linear. I watched my body do it's thing for a year and I never felt as confused as I do now.

So I've been feeding myself (except not ;P) a few of these explanations - Hey, self. You just started working out and sometimes your body reacts to that by not losing the weight right away. Also, I'm not always eating back all of my calories from working out, and have ended up with 500+ calories remaining on a least two days this week, could that be the problem? And finally - I must be doing something wrong. Right now I'm only running, but plan to include some weights and classes as I get more comfortable with the equipment and the gym, so maybe cardio just isn't working (I can barely type that because I just KNOW it isn't true).

SO I'm just looking for some feedback, some encouragement some "hey, that happened to be too" to be help me hang in through this transition that my body is going through. So, thanks.

Also, if someone posts that damn flow chart - so help me...

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Water retention to aid in muscle repair...
    Muscles and water weight from muscle recovery. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't gaining new muscle, you are since you are brand new at this. It's a little helpful at this point to go by your measurements and how your clothes fit. It took me a good month to start to see a loss on the scale after beginning to workout. And as I get more fit I keep changing up the workouts, so there is no real time to recover.

I do know from YEARS ago, when I wanted to be at my thinnest for a certain event, I would stop working out 3-4 days prior. This gave my body a chance to recover and release water.

You aren't really going to gain any significant muscle mass running...and certainly not in a mere two weeks.

I wish running built muscle. I'd love to skip the resistance training (I don't, I know it's important).
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

You aren't really going to gain any significant muscle mass running...and certainly not in a mere two weeks.

Agree.
    You won't even gain significant muscle mass with heavy lifting in two weeks.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You don't mention what your calorie goal is or if you use a food scale. If you are not weighing all your food, you are likely eating more than you think.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

I really wish people would stop saying that. If one goes from nothing to something, its something. I'm not talking about going from something to stronger something.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates up to 4lbs a day depending on the time I weigh in. It's a normal fluctuation. I'm up 1.4lbs since bedtime last night and have only had coffee today. I didn't gain. You probably didn't either. It's likely water. It's also very common to retain more water for muscle repair when you start a new routine.

If I weight myself when I arrive at the gym and when I'm leaving there is always a slight increase. Don't sweat it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I really wish people would stop saying that. If one goes from nothing to something, its something. I'm not talking about going from something to stronger something.

Muscle gains from cardiovascular exercise are very minimal...and they don't happen in a couple of weeks...you don't put on significant muscle mass in two weeks...certainly not enough to mask weight loss. I'm just being real here.

A male hitting the weight room with a bodybuilding program with good genetics and eating a 500 calorie per day surplus might put on 2 Lbs of muscle in a months time as a novice lifter.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Who is this person who is beginning a running routine yet has absolutely no muscle?

Nobody is going from nothing to something when it comes to muscle development. We all start with some muscle.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple more weeks and it should kick in gear. It's harder now than before because you're closer to goal.

And I totally agree about that darn flow chart. Ha!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Congrats on running already! Many of us have to walk first, then incorporate running in little bits and pieces, so you're doing well. I want to encourage you to follow your plan and incorporate weights too. I hope you can shrug off the water weight changes on the scales. You are totally going at this the right way.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for 5 years, and a long or hard run will still make me retain water. I can tell by the fit of my wedding ring. I learned to weigh myself on days following a rest day (as long as I didn't go out to eat the previous night.)
  • easybeezy
    easybeezy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats on running already! Many of us have to walk first, then incorporate running in little bits and pieces, so you're doing well. I want to encourage you to follow your plan and incorporate weights too. I hope you can shrug off the water weight changes on the scales. You are totally going at this the right way.

It is interval running, so it's a walk/run combo. But I did race back with a student quickly today and I was so pleased with how my body felt as opposed to just a week ago. So, thanks! I'm pretty excited about all this.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I experience this whenever I go from being sedentary to a relatively intense exercise routine. For me, it's water retention from the exercise and tends to last anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Then when the weight starts to drop, it drops far and fast.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What's with all the hate for the flow chart? It literally answers your question. In your case, water weight due to new exercise. It's simple.