Anyone else been diagnosed with fatty liver?

Options
I was diagnosed less than a week ago with fatty liver and I'm really struggling with it. My doctor said eat healthy and lose weight (easy for him to say). I was already working on losing weight but now adding this to the mix has me confused because there is so much conflicting information about fatty liver and diet on the internet. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and would love to have some support and talk to someone who has or is dealing with this diagnosis.

Replies

• momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am diagnosed with fatty liver and there can be a number of causes including: alcohol, high cholesterol (not just from eating but liver producing it), medications, etc., etc. First thing is to see if you have any medications that are metabolized by the liver and change that medication. Then cut down on alcohol or eliminate completely. Then also cut down on your fat intake. A sudden weight gain can also increase your liver function tests or LFTs.

Keep in mind cutting out alcohol or fat may not bring it down to normal, but you are basically in the process of elimination.

The other thing is to do make sure that you don't have hepatitis, I had a blood test done to eliminate Hep A, B & C. I also had a liver sonogram done - this ultimately revealed steatohepatitis or fatty liver.

Lastly, some of us just have a fatty liver which is a result of inflammation from some sort so reducing inflammation by limiting or reducing processed foods can help.

My LFTs are still high, but I am doing all of the above including weight loss.
  • MBmira1922
    MBmira1922 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have recently been put on high cholesterol medication due to how high it is. I workout everyday but not knowing good food nutrition has hurt my health. I'm using this app to help me to know what is good and bad for me.
  • almeyer2013
    almeyer2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fatty liver in July. My liver enzymes were elevated and I was pre diabetic. In 3 months between blood work, I lost 10% of my body fat. My liver enzymes were back to normal and my glyco A1c went down 3 points.
    It is possible!!
    I cut alcohol almost completely, not because it's the reason for my fatty liver, but because it was easy to eliminate. I still have an occasional glass of wine or beer, but nothing in excess.
    I used MyFitnessPal to cut calories and I joined a gym. My weight loss journey is far from over, but It is that easy.
  • DC_United216
    DC_United216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing about a year just got my numbers rechecked all is well now.. I made some big changes to my lifestyle and started working out more.
  • LeslieW77
    LeslieW77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with fatty liver myself, and was told the same thing by my doctor. I've noticed that my hands and feet are itching more frequently in a painful, non-rash way, which may be a sign of the damage spreading to NASH a bit. So, it's time to get the weight off and the better nutrition in! Feel free to add me as a friend to stay on track with this if you wish.
  • SandraMGP
    SandraMGP Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fatty liver on 22nd December. I immediately moved my pledge to lose weight starting from 1st Jan 2017 to 23rd December. I dont drink alcohol, well maybe 4 drinks a year so it doesn't really count. I juice carrots, beetroot and apples and half a lemon juice which are good for cleansing the liver, I drink this every day, I add celery, kale or spinach as I have them. I eat low fat, only eat brown rice, noodles and pasta. I have fat free yoghurt and make sure I eat as much veg with every meal as I can. I substitute anything high in fat with a low fat. Everything is fresh and homemade from scratch, processed food is a no no. Dont crash diet it can shock the liver. This is reversible and I intend to reverse it whilst getting to a new slimmer me. I have lost a stone, mainly due to my husband cooking the foods I can eat and using a lot herbs and chinese recipes for full flavour. I walk as much as I can as I'm not a fan of the gym. I plan to go back to the doctor in June to see how I'm progressing. I know the pain I had has eased considerably and the juice is definitely effective, I can almost feel it working. In short you need to change your lifestyle. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.