Sodium

Options
Does anyone else struggle to stay below 2,300mg of sodium? I do, and I'm on a 1,430calorie regimen- I can't imagine a higher calorie diet AND staying below 2,300.

What are your favorite low-sodium dishes?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I used to care about sodium. Realized i didnt need to i have no health problems thats really only reason youd need to. All it can do is make you retain water really, Which doesnt effect fat loss o_O Salt it up
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy when the majority of your diet is whole foods and you don't eat out much. Processed food goods, and in particular, highly processed food goods tend to have a lot of sodium as this preserves shelf life. Many minimally processed goods have lower sodium or no added sodium options.

Most people with sodium issues are eating a lot of processed food goods...I salt my food and have no issue.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's pretty easy when the majority of your diet is whole foods and you don't eat out much. Processed food goods, and in particular, highly processed food goods tend to have a lot of sodium as this preserves shelf life. Many minimally processed goods have lower sodium or no added sodium options.

Most people with sodium issues are eating a lot of processed food goods...I salt my food and have no issue.

I don't eat many processed foods- vegetarian "meat" and canned soup is about it (I only buy low-sodium brothy soups). Most of my sodium comes from using salt and eating pickled/brined vegetables. Surprisingly, when I DO eat out, the sodium in what I order is usually far less than what I make at home! :/ My sodium is usually around 2,500 a day on 1,430 calories. I'd like it to be around 2,000/day since heart disease runs in the family.
  • Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A few days a week I go over my sodium goal and afterwards I will have a lot of water retention which is fustrating! When I am low on sodium I feel a lot lighter and better. Staying away from processed food helps me.