Protein - how much is too much?

Options
I always thought that more protein is best and since tracking on this app, I always go way over my daily limit of protein. Can anyone provide some advice on this? Is it wrong to go over? am I eating too much protein? How much protein should be consumed based on weight, height?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Going over MFP's suggested amount of protein is not too much.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". 150lbs and take in 125g of protein a day (for a reference point)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I look at MFP's number for protein as an absolute minimum to reach.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MFP's suggested amount is really low...if you are getting more than one gram of protein per pound of body weight, that is probably over kill.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP's default for protein is pretty much the bare minimum if you're basically sedentary and trying to lose weight...it is slightly higher than the RDA as it is beneficial to consume more protein during weight loss to help preserve muscle mass, but it's still pretty stinkin' low, particularly if you're active.

The RDA itself is a minimum for basic health...and it is woefully inadequate if you're an active person.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Kinda depends on your goals. I eat about .8 to 1g/lb of my weight. But I'm at my goal weight. So that's a pretty good rule of thumb for a guy, .8 to 1g/lb of your goal weight. However, for a girl it probably doesn't have to be that high, I'd guess .6g to 1g/lb of your goal weight depending on your goals. As far as I know there is no limit unless you have a reason to limit it (like a medical reason). Protein is the same amount of calories per gram as Carbohydrates (4 calories per gram). If you trust Bodybuilding.com they recommend 1g/lb for women:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/how-much-protein-do-women-really-need.html

I see no reason 1g/lb wouldn't be a good rule of thumb for anyone, male or female. I allow myself to go higher than that most days. Again, base it on your goal weight, not your current weight if you are still losing weight.
  • Master_Butcher
    Master_Butcher Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We're gonna need more info here. But generally 120g - 140g is more than OK.
  • kathykrupa297
    kathykrupa297 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer and checked the Keto diet app to see my minimum. I need to eat at least 100g. Your better off eating more protein then carbs as long as ur within ur calorie limit.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Funny how proteine amounts can vary. In the Netherlands we say 1 to 1.5 gram per kilo body weight. Not per pound.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I look at MFP's number for protein as an absolute minimum to reach.

This is what I do. As to how much is too much, I know it's time to dial back my protein intake when I start getting the meat sweats. ;)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I shoot for .8-1g of protein per pound of body weight.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I average between 350 and 500g/day. No real benefit, other than I like the protonz. No real detriment either, and idgaf about the cost.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer and checked the Keto diet app to see my minimum. I need to eat at least 100g. Your better off eating more protein then carbs as long as ur within ur calorie limit.

That sounds like a massive amount if you are trying to be in ketosis. Keto is normally protein at 20-30% of calorie intake.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mjffey wrote: »
    Funny how proteine amounts can vary. In the Netherlands we say 1 to 1.5 gram per kilo body weight. Not per pound.

its actually not that much different...

taking a 150lb woman (68kg)

using .8*150 = 120
    using 1.5*68 = 102

a difference of 18g (or 72cal) - which is basically a cup of greek yoghurt, or about 2oz of chicken
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options

That sounds like a massive amount if you are trying to be in ketosis. Keto is normally protein at 20-30% of calorie intake.

No it's not. Protein requirements are still based on lean body mass. The issue is my keto'ers are afraid of protein as it may theoretically kick them out of ketosis. But the studies don't support that ridiculous claim.

OP, there really is not limit to how high your protein can be. Excessive protein can be convertered to glucose through glucenogenesis. And if you are drinking enough water, there shouldn't be an impact on kidney function. Really, the only time to be concerned is when you have kidney issues.

And protein should be around 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight.