Anyone have weight loss success not counting calories? New Rules of Marathon Nutrition...

Options
I know that the key to weight loss is typically CICO, but after years of counting calories, I'm just tired of it.

I recently picked up the new rules of marathon and half marathon nutrition and have been following the recommended diet in that book for two weeks. I have some big running goals this year so I thought it would be a good place to start. Basically, the plan suggests that about 50% of my calories should come from carbs to fuel my workouts. But they are supposed to be good carbs. The diet is based on 10 categories of foods that are supposed to balance in ratios at the end of the week. So assume you eat 55 servings in a week (obviously you're going to eat more but just assume), 10 should be vegetables, 9 should be fruit, 8 should be seeds and nuts, 7 should be lean meats and eggs, and 6 should be whole grains. Then if you want you can have 5 servings of dairy, 4 servings of refined grains, 3 servings of unhealthy meats, 2 of sweets, and 1 fried food.

I've never been a big vegetable eater so this has been a challenge, but I'm working hard to get in my veggies and I must say I'm feeling pretty good. I feel full throughout the day eating this way and in a typical day after 3 meals and 1 or 2 snax I'm around 1500 - 1700 calories. I also feel that eating this way with a performance goal in mind instead of weight loss has been a lot more motivating.

Has anyone followed a similar diet or a plan without counting calories and seen success?

Replies

• Master_Butcher
    Master_Butcher Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yep and it's much simpler than the way you've outlined. Baring in mind I've been counting cals for at least a decade, like you I pretty much know the calorie content of any given food give or take. I eat 3 meals a day so I split my macros into 3 then I plate up accordingly. It's pretty easy gauging what 60g worth of meat looks like. Carbs is even easier as I have the sizes stored internally. The fats usually fall in. I'm not too fussed if I don't hit them to a tee. I'm usually just shy.