Bikram Yoga

Options
I am trying Bikram Yoga aka Hot Yoga today for the first time and was wondering if anyone has entered this in their exercise. I found a website that says you can expect to burn anywhere from 700-1,000 calories during the hour and a half class. When entered as exercise, nothing pops us

Replies

• brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Heart rate monitor is the best way!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I did it this morning. I usually burn 600 calories in 90 minutes (from HRM). This site doesn't have it listed in the exercise listings. I'd go with what the website said if you don't have a HRM. Hydrate beforehand, you don't want to drink more than a couple sips while you're in the room. Good luck!
  • kayseebee
    kayseebee Posts: 3
    Options
    I've read several places that calorie burn for bikram is equal to that time spent running. But I don't buy that. I count it as equal to walking, although I know it's more than that. I'm afraid to take my heart rate monitor in because it's attached to my Garmin and I just know it would beep or something and I would be mortified.

Have fun! I am addicted!
  • davidb71
    davidb71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks-I don't have a heart rate monitor so I think I entered 700 but I will reduce it to 600. I am nervous about the class but I am giving it a go. Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks-I don't have a heart rate monitor so I think I entered 700 but I will reduce it to 600. I am nervous about the class but I am giving it a go. Have a great weekend everyone!!

That's OK--HRMs are useless for bikram yoga. Calorie claims for this type of workout are wildly exaggerated because thermal stress does not equal increased caloric expenditure. I would be extremely conservative about counting these calories.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do vinyasa (Power Yoga) at my size 6-2 215 I do burn 900+ calories in a 1-1/2 hour practice. Good luck, with time Yoga has become the best part of my day.
  • davidb71
    davidb71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I survived the class-it was very challenging and I did not think it was possible to sweat that much but I am here to type about it. Have a great weekend!!!
  • kuponokealoha
    kuponokealoha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Any advice or pointers? I'm going to my first class today.