walking

Options
hi im walking an hour sometimes more everyday, i enjoy it and dont like to miss a day, alot of it is uphill walking, some people have said im an addict as sometimes do 2 hours a day, its working on my weightloss so thats good, but is there such a thing as too much walking i hope not.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is it hurting you? Is it keeping you from meeting other obligations or goals?

If not, I don't see anything wrong with walking 1-2 hours a day. We all have hobbies that we enjoy. Yours happens to be an active one and that can be a good thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really...we're kinda evolved to pretty proficient.

I walk three miles per day most days and lift 2x per week and right now I'm cycling about 60 miles per week...I think you'll be ok.
  • 13kay13
    13kay13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks thats good as i love it
  • 13kay13
    Options
    no not hurting me im getting much better at it one route ive halved the time i could do it in since started losing weight.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I walk 40 minutes each way to do my grocery shopping once a week. The trip usually takes me over 2 hours (going in and out of stores and up and down aisles totally counts). Otherwise, I try to walk at least 30 minutes a day. If I can't/don't, then 30 minutes on the skier, but I prefer walking.
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am another walking freak, looking at your profile you are definitely doing something right so stay at it and celebrate the new you you are becoming!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you. Two hours shouldn't hurt.

I walk a lot in my job (4 hours per day 8 on Sunday) Then I will walk for an hour or two on my day off. Just make sure you have good footwear.

Remember though calorie intake has more to do with weight loss than exercise so as long as you are within your calorie goal it is all good.

Happy walking :)
  • 13kay13
    Options
    thankyou i must be doing something right been here 6 months and didnt even realise could talk to people and have friends or see what they are doing, you say you saw my profile so i hope ive done something right to make it be seen, bit of a tech idiot lol
  • 13kay13
    Options
    yes i walk all day here and there as i dont drive, i only track the walks i do for exercise tho.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have a dog, so we walk at least an hour a day. I also hike. I've been a long distance backpacker, walking 10 hours a day for five to six months at a time. So no, I don't think you can walk too much. It's only too much if it interferes with other things that you should be doing, and aren't.
  • SpoonInTheRoad
    SpoonInTheRoad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We are born to move. Moving won't hurt you if you're working up to it slowly, have great shoes, aren't hurting more than the occasional over-worked muscle, and it's helping you realize your goals. I try to do 4 miles at least every other day and more when I can and I'm working up to a consistent 5.5 miles as that's the nature trail hike near my home. It's my mental health saver! Walk on!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also, I meant to post this...

https://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/how-many-extra-miles-do-you-need-to-walk-a-day-to-lose-weight

I'd also recommend some resistance training of some kind
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's possible to do too much of anything. You can sleep too much, drink too much water, and likely walk too much. But you're probably not there. A few hours of walking a day is fine (unless there's pain, in which case consult a medical professional). You'd probably have to be walking for 10 hours a day before it became a medical (or perhaps psychological) concern.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you're an addict, I am two steps shy of needing an intervention. I clock between 10-18 miles per day.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Too much? There use to be such a thing as no transportation. Now ask yourself that same question.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,886 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Too much? There use to be such a thing as no transportation. Now ask yourself that same question.

This ... and ...

Some people, like my husband, have a physically active job where he is on his feet and walking most of the day. 1-2 hours of walking would be a rest day for him!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot it's my only form of exercise, I love it. I get a minimum of 15,000 everyday, around 12-15 kms.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You're walking too much when it is detracting from other areas of your life in a meaningful and significant way while not appreciably adding any benefit. Otherwise, carry on.