For the ladies who are afraid to lift weights...

Options

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yeah Carl - just show your wife my before and after pix, lol! :)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yeah Carl - just show your wife my before and after pix, lol! :)
    I will do that Diana! ;-)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Using weights doesnt mean becoming a body builder!!! Thanks for the post!
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    Just resumed lifting about a month ago - I never can understand why I let it lapse! Everything feels better. i can even work at my desk longer without fatigue. Deadlifts, back squats, pullups, pushups, lunges and step-ups rock.
    I've got my barbell back squat up to 65 pounds, starting to see some leveling off, so the improvement will be slower now. Last week there was a lovely slim young woman at the next rack, maybe 68 inches and 130 pounds, squatting 5 pounds more than I was, with good form. I want to be like she is when I grow up. :smile:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this,will have to have a read.

I have learnt since joining mfp abt weight lifting and muscle building and that women dont bulk up. I do find it quite intimidating wheni have to ask questions as you get some really patronising answers. I guess most women do want to know but are afraid to ask. Like say myself, I started circuit training and have worked myself up from there- small weights but the fact is im doing strength training.and that is an improvement over what I used to do. What im trying to say is that some of us are misinformed and tips wouldnt go amiss rather than pitying us for not lifting.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    ...weights that weigh less than their purse won't help them out much.

LOL! My friends always tell me they lift 5 lb dumbbells as if that's some kind of big accomplishment. I'm like, ".....seriously??" :laugh:

I'm starting to buy in to the heavy lifting thing a little bit. I don't have a permanent gym membership yet though (literally can't afford it), so I'll do the best I can with my 15 lb. dumbbell for now :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    on a side note, I just recently was certified by the US Olympic weight lifting team on Olympic lift coaching (I'm now a certified level 1 coach). I really always avoided these lifts because they are so technically challenging, but I forced myself to take the course because it is in SUPER high demand from athletes and that's what I like training, and nobody has this cert (like maybe 500 people have it in the whole country).

I'll tell ya what though, you want a FAST development, compound exercise that really works your core (I.E. abs and lower back), thighs, hami's, butt, traps, shoulders, and pectorals, this is the one for you. Yes, it's technically difficult to do right, but once you do, 3 sets of 4 twice a week and I guarantee that in 1 month you'll have strength increases in pretty much every other exercise you do, you will noticeably lift your butt, trim down your thighs, become faster, have better agility, better posture, and have better balance.

they are THAT good.

The two lifts I'm talking about are the clean and jerk and the snatch. And all the associated moves that go with them (they both have a 4 step technical progression, learning them takes 2 to 4 sessions before you really use weight and do it for real, form is really important).

side note, learning this will basically teach you the correct form for a lunge, back squat, front squat, overhead squat, Romanian dead lift, overhead press, all standard weight training techniques that should be part of your weight lifting anyway, and many people do them badly (which is dangerous).
  • nursegessica
    Options
    I don't get why other women are afraid. I love to lift. I don't try to "max out" or anything. I just do 30 - 60 lbs on some machines at my gym 2 - 3 days per week. I don't want to be one of those ladies who loses weight and has no muscle tone and flabby skin folds (yuck!). :wink:
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I'm one of the women who's scared to lift too much. I have lifted to failure in the past. My legs in particular put on unattractive bulky muscle super easy - I've seen it in person on my own body.

I lift my arms, back, chest, and abs, but I just do sprints, jog and walk for my legs. For my arms, back, chest, and abs, I lift heavy weights to create tension but low reps (5-6) and I don't lift to failure.

I think the biggest thing to realize is that every body is different.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Its almost impossible for a woman to get huge from lifting weights. First of all we aren't made to get big and we don't produce enough testosterone to. Those huge butch woman you see more than likely take testosterone (aka steriods) .. I lift as heavy as I can 6-8 reps and i'm no where near bulky.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    on a side note, I just recently was certified by the US Olympic weight lifting team on Olympic lift coaching (I'm now a certified level 1 coach). I really always avoided these lifts because they are so technically challenging, but I forced myself to take the course because it is in SUPER high demand from athletes and that's what I like training, and nobody has this cert (like maybe 500 people have it in the whole country).

I'll tell ya what though, you want a FAST development, compound exercise that really works your core (I.E. abs and lower back), thighs, hami's, butt, traps, shoulders, and pectorals, this is the one for you. Yes, it's technically difficult to do right, but once you do, 3 sets of 4 twice a week and I guarantee that in 1 month you'll have strength increases in pretty much every other exercise you do, you will noticeably lift your butt, trim down your thighs, become faster, have better agility, better posture, and have better balance.

they are THAT good.

The two lifts I'm talking about are the clean and jerk and the snatch. And all the associated moves that go with them (they both have a 4 step technical progression, learning them takes 2 to 4 sessions before you really use weight and do it for real, form is really important).

side note, learning this will basically teach you the correct form for a lunge, back squat, front squat, overhead squat, Romanian dead lift, overhead press, all standard weight training techniques that should be part of your weight lifting anyway, and many people do them badly (which is dangerous).

The struggle is finding someone that can show you proper form, as you said they're quite technically challenging and you can hurt yourself too easily to be throwing around a ton of weight :/
  • alexoftroy
    alexoftroy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I couldn't NOT lift. I do cardio every day and lift four times a week - I love it and know that I wouldn't be half as lean and toned as I am if all I did was cardio. Weights are our friends, ladies!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting heavy I got smaller and tighter, gained a little weight and lost inches. It works wonders! I am involved in Crossfit which we do all sorts of lifting, overhead squats, lunges with plates, snatch, clean and jerk, power cleans, push press you name it I've probably done it. It has literally changed my body composition and how I look and feel. I will never go back to the "cardio bunny" days.
  • trujillo68
    trujillo68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow. she looks awsome!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

they are THAT good.

The struggle is finding someone that can show you proper form, as you said they're quite technically challenging and you can hurt yourself too easily to be throwing around a ton of weight :/

Ironically, if you use correct form, it's very difficult to be hurt doing these lifts, it's far easier to hurt yourself with lighter weight actually, because people get lazy with light weight (or dumbbells and such), the incident of injury with Olympic weight lifting is really really low believe it or not. But yeah, if you don't do it right, it's easy to hurt your self, then again, that's true with any high weight lifting techniques. Course it's much easier to hurt yourself from endurance stuff than this, because the injuries are usually not sustained all at once, and are usually far more long term (I.E. chronic injuries, arthritis, bursitis...etc. that you get from cardio stuff, far more common and are actually not only harder to stop once started, but usually cannot be easily removed). Really it's all about perception. Because it LOOKS challenging, people think it's harder, but once you get the form down, it's really pretty simple, note, simple does NOT mean easy.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love lifting heavy!! It's working for me so far! Thanks for the link!
  • fit_chica69
    fit_chica69 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's how I want to look!! Thanks for posting!! :happy:

8644877.png
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

they are THAT good.

Ironically, if you use correct form, it's very difficult to be hurt doing these lifts, it's far easier to hurt yourself with lighter weight actually, because people get lazy with light weight (or dumbbells and such), the incident of injury with Olympic weight lifting is really really low believe it or not. But yeah, if you don't do it right, it's easy to hurt your self, then again, that's true with any high weight lifting techniques. Course it's much easier to hurt yourself from endurance stuff than this, because the injuries are usually not sustained all at once, and are usually far more long term (I.E. chronic injuries, arthritis, bursitis...etc. that you get from cardio stuff, far more common and are actually not only harder to stop once started, but usually cannot be easily removed). Really it's all about perception. Because it LOOKS challenging, people think it's harder, but once you get the form down, it's really pretty simple, note, simple does NOT mean easy.

I agree, when I started learning snatches (my Crossfit instructor is also a certified Olympic weightlifting trainer) she gave me a 45lb bar which I thought was way hard. I had only done one armed snatches in the past (which I find easier). It turns out once I added weight to that it was way easier, because I actually had to use the power jump and shrug instead of trying to make my shoulders bear/pull all of the weight up...once you "understand" the form it is easier to do more weight and they are pretty awesome! I'm up to 65lbs now.
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Lift like a man, LOOK like a woman....That's by Alicia Harris who is in the some of the same magazines as Jamie.

I can't see myself not doing WEIGHTS, they are a Godsent!
  • presariofaded
    Options
    great post! I have been lifting since I was 16 (18 now) and I'm not bulky at all. Although, I admit that I have done too many dumbbell pec flys so the muscle by my armpit is super toned. (A bit more than I would like but at least I look good in a tank top since it's better than flab haha)
    Also, don't judge us ladies with 5, 10 or 15 pound dumbbells! I'm using them because that's what I can currently lift not because I don't want to get "bulky" just sayin haha :P