I AM ABOUT TO GIVE UP!

Options
2»

Replies

• domesticlydiva
    domesticlydiva Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Please do not give up. You've done it before & will again. All the above is good advice & I have nothing to add. I am disappointed in myself also because I regained lost weight, but remember you are worth it. You and I both deserve to be healthy. SO, get back up & dust yourself off. Today is a new day....my goal is to remember I only have make good food choices for one day....maybe even meal by meal. I would like to add you as a friend & we could encourage each other to keep going in the right direction. I hope you have been encouraged by all the comments you have received in response to your cry for help. <3
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Setting unrealistic and overly aggressive weight loss goals that have a deadline is sure fire way to make you more discouraged. You've received a lot of great advice in this thread. Some of the people chiming in have been successfully maintaining a healthy weight for years now. Follow their advice, particularly with regards to slowing down and embracing the fact that weight loss is a long process. Slow and steady wins the race - it's also a much more sustainable approach in the long run. Best of luck to you.
  • kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm not going to pretend to know you or your situation at all, but for most people that is a pretty aggressive goal. My hope for you is that you take your revitalized energy and determination to lose weight as an opportunity to make a lifestyle change. Doing too much of anything can lead a lot of people to burn out and overcome to frustration which is counterproductive to accomplishing their long term goal. Setting goals is great, and there is nothing wrong with setting a weight loss goal - heck most of us on MFP did just that. But ultimately losing weight and keeping it off is about a lifestyle change and for a lot of folks that is the overarching goal in losing weight. So if at the end of this week you were not able to lose 7lbs I hope you will stick with it and not give up as the heading of your post says. Log everything you eat and drink, be as accurate as possible, do not go over your calorie allowance, and even without exercise you will ultimately lose weight. Best of luck to you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am back into losing the weight and being health conscious. 2 years ago I lost almost 80 pounds. Now 2 years later, I gained that and more back. I currently weigh 322lbs!!!! 2 weeks or maybe a week ago I weighed 330lbs!. My goal at the end of this week to be at least 315, but a lot of unexpected things are going on where it is hard for me to workout this week. My job is 45 mins away and when I get home I usually do 30mins to an hour workout. Today I have to stay over later and will not be home until late tonight. I will not have time to workout because I will make it home around bedtime. Whenever I do not workout I do not lose any weight!

Today I ate a green smoothie for breakfast and a Double chicken Salad for lunch

Set a realistic reasonable goal of not more than 2 lbs a week. Expecting to drop 15 lbs in a week- or even a month- is not realistic, sustainable weight loss.
    Weight loss is about calories. Eat the calories MFP tells you eat. This gives you a calorie deficit already without any exercise.
    Log your food and drinks as accurately as you can. Use a digital food scale. Choose correct database entries.
    If you do exercise then log it and eat some of those calories.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OP stated she wants to lose 7lbs in the first week. Granted she has a lot of weight to lose, but 7lbs is an overly aggressive approach and signals that she has an unrealistic expectation of how quickly she can lose weight.

I thought OP said she already lost 8 pounds in the first week or two (not sure why she doesn't know how long it's been). The 7 pounds was her goal for this week (week 2 or 3).
  • millcreekr
    millcreekr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The dietician from our group told us to put in as a goal to lose a half a pound a week. That doesn't sound like much and is very intimidating, but that way you have more flexibility in what you eat, don't have to starve, don't have to feel unfulfilled in your eating. I just started this journey and have a long way to go, and a half a pound a week doesn't sound like much, but I'm at least not starving.
  • millcreekr
    millcreekr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also find that excuses don't help at all. I had to face myself head on, no more excuses! It's scary, I know, but I finally had to look myself in the eye and stop my excuses.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    OP stated she wants to lose 7lbs in the first week. Granted she has a lot of weight to lose, but 7lbs is an overly aggressive approach and signals that she has an unrealistic expectation of how quickly she can lose weight.

I thought OP said she already lost 8 pounds in the first week or two (not sure why she doesn't know how long it's been). The 7 pounds was her goal for this week (week 2 or 3).

1. The OP didn't know exactly how long it took for her to lose that first 8 lbs, she said "two weeks or maybe one week ago..."
    2. The a good portion of the 8lbs she was referring to was more than likely water weight. My post is about fat loss, not losing water weight.
    3. Regardless of how much she's lost in the past week or two (or whatever the real number is), a goal to lose 7lb/week of fat is unrealistic and unnecessarily aggressive, IMHO.