Teachers

Options
hbrewer8497
hbrewer8497 Posts: 4 Member
Any other teachers finding themselves exhausted, unable to work up the energy to exercise? Especially after school. Advice?

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm not a teacher, but have you thought about going before work?
    I start work at 6am and I go to the gym at 4.30am. This way I don't have to worry about getting the energy to workout afterwards :smile:
  • itsy_bitsy_spider
    itsy_bitsy_spider Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was going after work, but in the winter I get the blahs--after all our faculty/grade level/RtI meetings and stuff, it's dark and gloomy and I just want to go home. Soooo, I've just recently started going to the gym before work. I get up at 4, leave the apt @ 4:30, and get a workout in from like 5:00-6:15. Then I shower there & head to work. I am NOT a morning person, so I never thought I'd be able to do it, but I'm actually liking it a lot; the gym is fairly empty, and it feels good getting a workout in before a long day! Plus i now have time to appreciate the sunrise :) My only issue is I'm a terrible night owl, so I'm having one hell of a time carrying my butt to bed early. Conditioning though, so I think eventually this piece will fall into place. Also, I attend a yoga class on Thursday nights with a friend, and the whole buddy system thing really helps keep me accountable. Maybe there's a colleague at work or a friend you could rope into being your gym buddy? Or attend a class with you? Good luck!

*I do realize when report cards are due or an observation is coming, all bets are off! LOL
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 am for work, get to school and 6:30 am, and I am required to be at school until 4:30 pm. I work at in a rough neighborhood in Brooklyn. Every day is a struggle. I never miss a training session. This fall I even spent some evenings in the gym in tears because my day was so horrific. But I didn't skip.
  • sammieb1228
    sammieb1228 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I try to make it something to look forward to all day and make it my de-stress time for the day. I live/work in a very small town so the gym is not an option. I usually go for a walk/run after work with my dog. He helps to keep me motivated to go each day because he gets super excited. Maybe you can get a buddy to check with you and make sure you're accountable for your workout.
  • Autie625
    Autie625 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that if you'll force yourself to get through the toughest part, lacing up those shoes and actually getting to the gym, whether morning or evening, in a relatively short period of time you will feel less stress and more energy throughout the day. Of course, life happens. Strive for little improvements at the margins. Park a little farther away. Take a short stroll at lunch. Move around while on duty. Then, when you do get that workout in, you'll really love the numbers. Best wishes!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I teach, and have kids. I get up at 3am (ish) get to gym by 4am, lift, run, cycle,

Then rush home, get up kids, make breakfast and lunch, get kids on bus, myself off to school, pick them up from school, dinner and cleaning. Could not work out after working.
  • Chad2244
    Chad2244 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a coach and have practice early in the mornings and after school on the weekdays. Not to mention all the games we play. Finding time to exercise is difficult. I'm not a morning person by any means. Any one else out there in the same boat?
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    School administrator....yes, I find it very hard in the winter! I have started using the school as my gym for cardio. I park as far away from the door as possible so I have a longer walk to/from the building. I start at the first floor and zip up to the third floor 2-3x in a row; do this as many times as possible throughout the day and it starts to add up. If I see a small delivery (like the book order boxes), I deliver them to the classroom. It's not optimal, but it's something! Climbing stairs in heels is hell lol.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Chad2244 wrote: »
    I am a coach and have practice early in the mornings and after school on the weekdays. Not to mention all the games we play. Finding time to exercise is difficult. I'm not a morning person by any means. Any one else out there in the same boat?

I loath mornings! I could do night school and be happy!
  • shortgirlsneedlovetoo
    shortgirlsneedlovetoo Posts: 4,592 Member
    Options
    I decided to retire ( so to speak ) from 17 years of elementary teaching. Now I can workout when I choose. And I get to pee when I choose and don't have to wait for someone to come and relieve me. Lol
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I coach so I try to work out with the team to just be able to do something but that's not always exactly what I need.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Any other teachers finding themselves exhausted, unable to work up the energy to exercise? Especially after school. Advice?

I work at a college and have a very busy schedule. Part of my change to a healthier lifestyle has been to flip my attitude towards calling a long day exhausting to seeing it a positive challenge. Even so, If I can't get a few miles in during the day I tend to have to force myself to get out after work, least I just fall asleep on the couch. I feel ya.
  • kmk1447
    kmk1447 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I cannot find the energy to wake up early to work out either! It is so hard! I already wake up at 6 for work. There is. I way I'm getting up earlier but then I'm
    So tired after work. I work with autistic preschoolers (8 boys in my class).
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I know a teacher. You guys are pretty much on your feet all day.

When my friend used a Fitbit, she would rack 18k steps like nothing. She tries to run a once or twice during the week and on the weekends.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I know a teacher. You guys are pretty much on your feet all day.

When my friend used a Fitbit, she would rack 18k steps like nothing. She tries to run a once or twice during the week and on the weekends.

Meh. I teach and get 12000. It's not a ridiculous amount. I live in NYC too...I could technically get more if I walked home but after 10 hours at that school I just want a ride home.
  • Chad2244
    Options

I loath mornings! I could do night school and be happy!

I agree completely! I absolutely HATE waking up early. I have practice every morning at 7 and games almost every night. Leaves little time for everything I need to get done!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I got up at 4 am today to work out. Fixed a hot breakfast and got two kids ready and out the door. Arrived at school at 7 am. I have after-school tutoring, a dinner for my niece and kids' activities after school, so morning is the only choice. It was a priority for me, so I made it happen.
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it being dual contract. Morning practices and after school practices kill me. By the time I am done, I am ready for bed.
  • Chad2244
    Options
    I struggle with it being dual contract. Morning practices and after school practices kill me. By the time I am done, I am ready for bed.

I know exactly how you feel. We are a non-football school, so basketball goes from October until March. Plus, driving the bus to and from every game. It's rough!