Phentermine

Options
Hi there! I am a 25 year old mother of an almost 2 year old. Growing up, I was a "chubby" kid until high school and most of my adult life, averaging 130-140 pounds. I went to yoga/pilates four times a week, and did my best to eat healthy and clean. When I became pregnant, I completely lost control. I ended up delivering at 180 pounds! Two months ago my husband and I joined a gym, began eating healthy and clean, and so far he has lost almost 15 pounds. At 190 (my heaviest EVER thanks to birth control) I only lost about 4 pounds. On 1/15/17, I decided to talk to the doctor. I weighed 186 and began taking Phentermine 37.5 on 1/16/17. My goal is 135 pounds by May.

It is now 1/19/17, and I am down 5 pounds - water weight I am sure. I am not exceeding 1200 calories per day, and drinking about 96 ounces of water daily. I am doing 30 minutes of cardio/yoga each night. My side effects have been minimal - dry mouth and trouble falling asleep. But I do notice that I have began breaking out in cystic like acne all over, unusual for my generally clear skin.

Does anyone else use Phentermine, and are you having success? What works for you, and any eating/exercise tips for a beginner?

Replies

• 513csun
    513csun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby in August and gained almost 40lbs, I started Phentermine Dec 1st and at the weight of 176 and I'm now at 160lbs. I have now lost 16lbs. Definitely could have lost more but you know gotta love the holidays and their yummy foods lol. I have the same symptom as far as the dry mouth but that actually helps me drink a lot more water. I definitely do not feel hungry throughout the day until bout 11pm or 12pm but I should be in bed anyway. If I do feel hungry I just chug more water! My doctor gave me a diet sheet to go by, it's 1000 calories a day. Basically 2 boiled eggs for breakfast with a piece of whole wheat bread, mid morning snack which is a whole fruit, then lunch 4oz of lean meat and green leafy veggies, mid afternoon snack is some veggies, then dinner 4oz lean meat and more veggies. No starch & At least 64 oz of water a day. Oh and I could have probley lost a bit more but I do drink alcohol either on Fridays or Saturdays, so that does put me back a few days. I bought a food scale and that has helped a lot. I've also made a Crockpot cabbage soup a few times and add some chicken or lean turkey sausage to it and eat about 1&1/2 cups of that for dinner. It's very filling and full of low calorie veggies. 1&1/2 cups is only 91 calories. If I skip a snack I eat a piece or two of jerky, it's high in protein and pretty yummy! I do the Jessica Smith HIIT beginners work outs on YouTube. They are only 20 mins long, simple but gets you going and burns calories.
  • sweatin4me
    sweatin4me Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out why either of you would be on this....I had to google.ot and from all the medical articles that I read it is a very serious stimulant, which carries very serious risks. I also read that it should only be given to people who are seriously Obese and who have co-morbities, tht a describes neither of you!
    I would definitely ask for a second opinion.
  • tifsimmons91
    tifsimmons91 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A couple years back I was taking Phentermine to lose weight, and yes it certainly does work... But you have to remember to work with the pill and not Ryan on them to do all the work. I did that and as soon as I stopped taking it, I gained all my weight back... I am not against Phentermine I think it is a great boost to jump kick weight loss. I just failed because I didn't do my part to lose weight I let the pills do. all the work. I also never had bad side effects while taking them other than the dry mouth, but drinking lots of water helped.... I hope anyone else taking Phentermine has a successful experience ☺
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I took it years ago for a jumpstart, it was a great assist! you obviously have to be motivated as well since you technically can still eat as much as you want even if you don't feel hungry! One thing I did as I was starting to see success was to taper off to show myself I could do this without it. Switch to every other day or every third day...or if you are taking pills and not capsules, cut them in half. When I started I was at 224, my all time high...I got down to 170 and while I have gained some back and lost it again I have never gone back over 190. Good luck to you both!
  • Tylandonmama
    Tylandonmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's what I think people don't get sometimes, it's there to ASSIST! You still have to watch your intake and excersize! I've lost 60 lbs this past year on my own, but I've hit that dang plateau at 12 lbs to go:( so yesterday, my doctor prescribed me phentermine. I am super excited!
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Phentermine did nothing for me, it made me tired if anything. No heart palps, no dry mouth, no increased HR, even if I took it on an empty stomach instead of dinner it did nothing and I slept like a baby. I weighed 259, was prescribed the 37.5 and took it for one month.

ETA maybe worth noting in addition that Metformin made me gain weight- (was taking for prediabetes) so maybe I'm just weird.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have contemplated it so many times, but the possible side effects just isn't worth it to me. :-(