"Not Diabetic" in 8 weeks.

I came back from Thanksgiving at a high weight (again) and said - no "one more 'happy meals' of wings, pizza, beer - starting now. I got back on MFP, got back on 'Runkeeper', got back on my scale - started a new spreadsheet.

Since Thanksgiving, I've been watching calories averaging 1300 per day, carbs - shooting for <100.

I started walking - 30 minutes at first. Now up to about 6+ miles per day, 80 min average.

Over Christmas, my 50th Birthday, New Years and a week vacation in Disney World - I've lost 43 pounds in 8 weeks, 3 days.

Today, I joined a gym with a staff and did a consult with the nurse who I discussed my diet and weight loss with. She's took my A1C (how diabetics track blood sugar over long periods). It went from 6.9 in November (diabetic - under control) to 5.2 (non-diabetic level)!!!

What has worked for me so far - average 1300 cal/day (man 5'10"), <100g carb avg., I don't worry about fat in food, avoid: diet drinks, beer, alcohol, anything sweet (no artificial sweeteners allowed), bread, pasta, rice, any form of potato, salt. Eat a lot of: veggies, black coffee (an allowed vice), water. Moderate fruit (within cal and carb limits), make an effort to eat protein and fiber.

I use: iPhone, MFP, Runkeeper, withings smart wifi scale and app, track everything in excel and make custom charts Witt trendlines, goal dates - provides positive feedback.

Things I've enjoyed and noticed: bend over easier with less gut, not such a chore up down stairs, walk strenuous to build a sweat, but not lose breath, buying smaller jeans, my ribs showing back up, being hungry, not being full, compliments and positive remarks.

Thanks to all my MFP friends! Keep at it! How do you lose the elephant? One less bite at a time!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    giphy.gif
  • tamera_g
    tamera_g Posts: 128 Member
    Wow good job!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    great post with lots of good advice. Can't wait to hear how it all ends. Post pics when you get to goal.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    One thing to note is that men arent recommended to go under 1500 calories, while your not the tallest bloke around you are def not a shortie.
  • Lioness_1978
    Lioness_1978 Posts: 3,938 Member
    Way to go! That's awesome
  • Mermaidtriathlete
    Mermaidtriathlete Posts: 18 Member
    Incredible progress! It took me (in the past, nearly 9 months to lose just 33 1/2 pounds.) I was in a plateau for 9 weeks. . . Before I hit goal. Your story gives me hope because I always hear that "once you get older, you can't get rid of it." Congratulations on your no nonsense driven progress!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    I'm at the doc right now, waiting to get blood sucked by the lab, to see if he wants to reduce meds.

I've been fasting since last night - and I worked out with weights and cardio this am, with no food - and am really feeling the hunger and weakness this morning waiting on lab work. Traditionally, after doctor visits, I'd treat myself to a Dunkin' Donuts next door. Now, I have a 200g apple waiting in the car!

I'll post lab results when I get them.
  • Pseudocyber
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    One thing to note is that men arent recommended to go under 1500 calories, while your not the tallest bloke around you are def not a shortie.
    Yep. MFP tells me when I go under, I talked to the nurse at gym about it, and will talk to doc about it.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Congratulations Op,,dedication brings about great results. What's your typical day like meal wise?
  • Pseudocyber
    I've been tracking in a spreadsheet, and my average for 9 weeks is 1350 cal. Sometimes I will fast, and eat near 0, sometimes I will be over and be near 2500. I shoot for 1000, which I already know people will say unhealthy. But my average has been 1350 cal, 80 min exercise. And about 95 g carbs. I'm shooting for <100g carbs.

Dr called me yesterday and said official A1C is 5.1, took me off one med, and said do 1/2 the other med and will reevaluate in 3 months. :)
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Congratulations, a job very well done!!

Just a word of caution here- be sure to do it in such a way so that you don't burn out. I'm 5'4'', female, 24 and very overweight (230lbs), but I eat 1500-1600 cals ( I average 10k-11k steps everyday).

Great job, though and all the best for the rest of your journey!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Op why I asked you what your meals are typically is because I can't seem to go below 100 carbs.
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Way to go!! You should be so proud of yourself!! Congrats!! :)
  • DaveDR7
    DaveDR7 Posts: 49 Member
    Well done PC
    They say if it's not broke don't change it, so as long as you're feeling good, then crack on fella.
    But, my only word of caution, you don't say what your original weight was, but assuming your like me at 250+, I'm doing HIIT and nearly 3 weeks in, I had to drop a training day (6 out 7 normally) purely because I didn't hit my BMR, 2 days running and felt quite drained, so if your body tells you to slow down (and as you get fitter, it might) don't try to push through, might take more than a day to recover.
    But after saying all that, if you're losing weight, happy and healthy, you've got to be doing something right, haven't you?
    I'll be checking out the "success stories" for you in a few months time!
  • grrrlwonder
    grrrlwonder Posts: 59 Member
    Congrats!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!