Think I am developing a cold...to run or not

Options
Hope this is the right place to post. Would love to know what everyone thinks/does....

So I know we hear the story of 'if it's above your throat' it's okay. But I -*think* I have a cold developing, I can't tell by my nose as I tend to find it blocked/running whatever the season/weather/no cold or cold. I do however have that very slight, back of your throat/top of your lungs tickle that I suspect might be the start of a cold. I don't have any other signs or symptoms.

Should I even attempt a gentle and short run? Is there any exercise that is 'safe' to do with a cold? What the best way of getting rid of it!?

Thanks!

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Run! It doesn't sound like you are very sick so a run in the fresh air won't do any harm. If you develop a high temperature or severe cough then take a few days off. Nothing will help a cold clear up more quickly than nature intended- take paracetamol plus honey and lemon in hot water for symptom relief.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would go for the run and if you find yourself struggling, take it down to a walk instead. No point pushing yourself if you feel a bit off it. If it's just a cold you'll be fine. A bit of exercise always perks me up if I have a cold.
  • crazycat1977
    crazycat1977 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't push yourself. I'm getting over flu and a chest infection, once that's cleared I'll hit the gym. If you push yourself, you'll prolong recovery. Hope you feel better soon x
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, been helpful :-) I'll aim for a gentle run this evening after work so I'm not pushing it too much but at least keep the legs moving and fingers crossed it doesn't develop!
  • tallee
    tallee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya' my friend. I am walking with an incline versus running but I decided to work through it as long as I am able. Feeling a little better today than yesterday, but slept for 8.5 hours! I say, push the fluids and get more sleep. It's amazing what a good night's sleep will do!
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'd say attempt the run but don't be disheartened if it's not one of your best. I find that if I run when I've got a cold it actually helps to open my sinuses a little. Either that or I don't notice it so much because I'm concentrating on my breathing, posture, speed etc.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you feel like running, go for it, if you don't don't worry. I often still run when I'm ill, but only if I feel like I can.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you feel well enough to run, run. Trust your body to tell you what it is up for.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I find that sweating can help when I'm starting to come down with something. Also gargle with Listerine and get some zinc tablets. Unless you are feeling completely wiped out, I would run.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If it's just a cold you should be fine to run, you'll probably feel better afterwards.

If it's not too late you could try some 'Vicks First Defence' supposedly proven to stop a cold in its tracks if you use it at the first sign of symptoms developing. I can't speak from personal experience yet, but having just gone down with a cold I have bought some for next time.
  • porkchopss
    porkchopss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Run! :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Go run and if it just isn't working, walk back home.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a fundraiser 5k this Sunday and I have an awful head cold. I'm hoping it'll be better by the weekend,
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Don't push yourself. I'm getting over flu and a chest infection, once that's cleared I'll hit the gym. If you push yourself, you'll prolong recovery. Hope you feel better soon x

I second this. I'm going into week 6 of a chest infection that started just as you describe. Think if I'd nursed it a bit more at the beginning it might not have taken such a hold.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The general rule for exercising when sick is, if it's above the neck, you're good to go (ignoring the social aspect of infecting others if you train in a public gym etc..), if it's below the neck, rest up.

So above the neck, is just things like sore throat, runny nose, congestion etc..
    Below the neck, is stomach issues, coughing from lungs, this sort of thing.

In addition, if you regularly track hour resting heart rate, if it's elevated, give yourself some rest.
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies and advice. In the end I didn't go for a run. I did get a chesty cough and avoided exercise for two weeks (I really didn't feel like it!). Did a short run on Monday just gone and it was still feeling quit achy on my chest. Went out again today and things are much better. I still have congestion in my nose but lungs have cleared and I even got a PB on my 1 km and 1 mile fastest times! Happy days!