Am I getting this right?

Options
sarko15
sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I've done a little googling about this, but I still can't quite find a cut and dry answer, so maybe asking some knowledgeable humans that are good at math might help. :) Be kind, I'm still kind of learning this as I'm going along so I'm sorry if I'm getting some seemingly basic fact wrong.

Net calories = deficit, right?

For context: 5'3", 24 yr/o, female, SW 145lbs, CW 141lbs, GW 125-130lbs (15lb loss to get myself solidly in the "healthy weight" range, 5lb loss for vanity). Spin or TRX class 4-5x a week and I have a standing desk at my office job so I end up shifting and stretching pretty often throughout the day, and have my calorie burn set as "lightly active."

I've been trying to lose about 20lbs for about two months. I've averaged a sort of wonky 2lb loss a month so far. The first month I was pretty restrictive at about 1200 calories and now I've sort of settled in a 1300-1600 range (including eaten back some or all exercise calories). I'm okay with a slow loss considering I don't have much to lose, however, the math doesn't totally add up for me. I typically net about 750-1,000 calories a day, which if my math is correct, should be somewhere around 1.5lbs-2lbs loss a week, which obviously isn't happening. I always get above 1200 calories eaten, and I weigh my food when I cook it most of the time (I know, I know, the only way to ensure true accuracy is weighing every damn thing, but sometimes I don't feel like fussing around with weighing vegetables and I doubt I'm eating hundreds of calories in vegetables a day).

I know starvation mode is a myth, but is there any way I would be netting too much which would slow down the process a bit? Again, I'm in no rush to lose, but the numbers don't seem to add up.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I'm spitballing here, but my guess is you are still slightly over estimating calories burned and slightly under estimating calories eaten. That said, .5 per week seems perfect for your situation. I'm calling this a win for you, keep it up!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt be netting so little calories. your net should be the calories MFP gave you as a goal. since exercise calories can be overestimated,most people eat back 25-50% of those calories back. if you are not weighing everything with so little to lose, you cant be sure how much you are really eating. with so little to lose you do need to be more accurate.The less weight to lose the slower its going to be. you should be losing that much weight but your not, so I would say it could be youre eating more than you think,water retention,or a combo of the two. are you losing anything at all? if you do eat back exercise calories with you not weighing food you could be eating too much before and after exercise.that could stall your weight.how long has it been since you lost anything?
  • sarko15
    Options
    you shouldnt be netting so little calories. your net should be the calories MFP gave you as a goal. since exercise calories can be overestimated,most people eat back 25-50% of those calories back. if you are not weighing everything with so little to lose, you cant be sure how much you are really eating. with so little to lose you do need to be more accurate.The less weight to lose the slower its going to be. you should be losing that much weight but your not, so I would say it could be youre eating more than you think,water retention,or a combo of the two. are you losing anything at all? if you do eat back exercise calories with you not weighing food you could be eating too much before and after exercise.that could stall your weight.how long has it been since you lost anything?

So I really should be netting 1300-1600 calories a day? Dang, that sounds like a lot to me. I thought I was supposed to be eating that number, not netting. If net calories isn't my daily deficit, what does net calories mean? I'm a little confused and turned around about the whole thing.

I've lost about 4lbs total in two months. With work travel my weigh ins have been a little inconsistent so it's not been linear or steady at all (which I know is pretty typical), but there's definitely been a downward trend. I'm just still so new at this and the pounds will come off so slowly I'm not entirely sure if I know what's working for me yet.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    To clarify, non-linear weight loss isn't just "pretty typical", it's 100% normal.

And as stated, the less you have to lose, the more accurate your logging needs to be, because the margin for error is really small. As you start to approach your goal weight, you'll likely need to start weighing those vegetables, along with any other food items that you've been lax with so far. You might as well start building the habit of weighing everything now because you'll have to do it eventually. ;)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Actually, net calories is the negative of your deficit. But you're on the wrong site to ask about it because net means something different here. Here it means the number of calories you consumed minus your exercise calories. Outside of MFP, calories in minus calories out should equal a negative number to lose weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Actually, net calories is the negative of your deficit. But you're on the wrong site to ask about it because net means something different here. Here it means the number of calories you consumed minus your exercise calories. Outside of MFP, calories in minus calories out should equal a negative number to lose weight.

because MFP goes by the NEAT method and your deficit is built in,but your exercise is not. other sites go by TDEE method and your deficit isnt built in, but your exercise is. @sarko15. the way MFP works if it gives you say 1500 calories, (your deficit is built in,its determined by weight,height and activity level(non exercise activities),and what how much you tell it you want to lose. so if you burn say 400 calories from exercise, that gives you 1100 calories, you are supposed to eat those 400 calories back to net the 1500 calories because your deficit is built in,if you dont eat them back that would make a bigger deficit and for some they would be netting too low calories,

so most people only eat 25-50% of the calories they burned back to make up for a lack of being able to determine exactly how many calories you burned,since most things estimate burns(some high,some low).so yeah you should be netting that number.some people can eat all their exercise calories back and not have an issue.

so if you are not weighing your food and not weighing any food from exercise your burn off back you could be eating more than you think ,but if you are losing 4 lbs in 2 months thats 1/2 a lb a week loss,which is where you should be at.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »

So I really should be netting 1300-1600 calories a day? Dang, that sounds like a lot to me. I thought I was supposed to be eating that number, not netting. If net calories isn't my daily deficit, what does net calories mean? I'm a little confused and turned around about the whole thing.

I've lost about 4lbs total in two months. With work travel my weigh ins have been a little inconsistent so it's not been linear or steady at all (which I know is pretty typical), but there's definitely been a downward trend. I'm just still so new at this and the pounds will come off so slowly I'm not entirely sure if I know what's working for me yet.

You do realize that whatever MFP is giving you for calories to eat for the day, that that already includes the deficit? You don't then subtract more calories. It's already figured based on the activity level you put in when you set up your profile. You should be netting the number of calories MFP tells you to.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    another way to do it is if you are given 1500 calories,you could eat 1900 and burn off the 400 calories and you would have your 1500 net calories. you have to fuel your workouts and make sure you get enough nutrients. if you burn most of it off you are left with basically nothing so its pretty much just like not eating enough calories.you dont want a negative net number, it doesnt work that way,I know its confusing it was to me too but it does get easier to figure out. Im sure someone else will have a different way of explaining it in case you are still confused.
  • sarko15
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    sarko15 wrote: »

You do realize that whatever MFP is giving you for calories to eat for the day, that that already includes the deficit? You don't then subtract more calories. It's already figured based on the activity level you put in when you set up your profile. You should be netting the number of calories MFP tells you to.

I see. I was focused on the number given to me in that equation (that tells me how many I have left) and just recently did I just notice there was a net calorie measurement. I always assumed if I wasn't eating all my calories back, or hitting my goal but still over 1200, I was doing it okay. From what it seems like I need to either eat more calories to achieve the net or just not exercise as much. And get better at the scale too-for the record, I do weigh most of what I eat, but I definitely haven't been vigilant (partially because I'm just learning how to weigh recipes, instead of individual foods). Thanks for your input!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    You're losing half a pound a week, with only 20 pounds to lose. That's a good result. Don't worry about the math.

If you're still worried about the math:

You're not weighing everything, so unless you're an outlier from the rest of the world, you're probably undercounting calories consumed. You don't say how you're coming up with your exercise burns, but the difference between the calorie-intake that you're logging and what MFP counts as your net suggests you're logging about 900 calories per workout* for what I assume is an hour class. That's not impossible, but it implies going pretty much all-out intensity for the full hour. Unless you're very fit and about ready to collapse when class is over, 900 calories for an hour-long class is likely an overestimate of your calorie burns. Put together undercounting calories consumed and overcounting calories burned, plus the pretty powerful evidence that you're only losing a half pound per week over two months, and I think we can safely conclude you are not really "netting" 750 - 1000 calories a day (in the MFP sense of "netting").

I'm not saying this applies to you, OP, but I find it odd that many people, when confronted with a disparity between their weight loss over a fairly long period and what the math based on their logging says they should be losing, want to question the way the calculations work, or wonder whether there is some special combination of food/macros/meal timing, etc., that they need to adopt, or even whether they've ruined their metabolism so that they can't lose weigh on anything close to what their current weight suggests they would need if they were in a coma, and how hard it is to get some people to consider the possibility that their data (calories in and calories out) is flawed.

* and here's the math:
    (1600 + 1300)/2 for avg gross calorie intake of 1450
    (1000 + 750)/2 for avg net calorie intake of 875
    1450 - 875 = 575 avg daily recorded exercise burn
    but OP says she's doing 4 -5 workouts a week, so let's avg workouts per week = 4.5
    575 X 7 for weekly recorded exercise burn of 4,025 calories
    4,025/4.5 workouts per week = avg burn per workout of 894 calories
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Net calories DOES NOT equal deficit. They are two completely different things.

In order to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight. The difference is your deficit. So suppose you need 2000 calories to maintain your current weight, but you only eat 1500 . That means you have a deficit of 500 calories and you will lose a pound a week.

Net calories is how many calories you eat, less the number you burn through purposeful exercise. So net calories is the amount of energy your body actually has available to live on. Your net calories should not be too low, or you are starving yourself and it is bad for your health. Generally we say your net calories should not be less than 1200 as an absolute minimum. Many people need more than this. Less than 1000 is very unhealthy unless for medical reasons and under medical supervision.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

because MFP goes by the NEAT method and your deficit is built in,but your exercise is not. other sites go by TDEE method and your deficit isnt built in, but your exercise is. @sarko15. the way MFP works if it gives you say 1500 calories, (your deficit is built in,its determined by weight,height and activity level(non exercise activities),and what how much you tell it you want to lose. so if you burn say 400 calories from exercise, that gives you 1100 calories, you are supposed to eat those 400 calories back to net the 1500 calories because your deficit is built in,if you dont eat them back that would make a bigger deficit and for some they would be netting too low calories,

so most people only eat 25-50% of the calories they burned back to make up for a lack of being able to determine exactly how many calories you burned,since most things estimate burns(some high,some low).so yeah you should be netting that number.some people can eat all their exercise calories back and not have an issue.

so if you are not weighing your food and not weighing any food from exercise your burn off back you could be eating more than you think ,but if you are losing 4 lbs in 2 months thats 1/2 a lb a week loss,which is where you should be at.

The way MFP does things doesn't change the meaning of "net." The reason the "MFP net" is the way it is has nothing to do with NEAT versus TDEE. MFP is just trying to give people a goal number that tells them how many calories they can eat. If you wanted, you could use the TDEE method on MFP by including your exercise when you choose your activity level and then not recording exercise. You would still have a number telling you how many calories you've eaten that you can compare to your goal.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This is how I think of it: When I setup my stats on MFP I asked for a calorie allowance that would give me a 1lb/week loss and for me that was 1550 calories per day.

In the absence of any exercise, if I eat 1550 calories each day, I will lose (on average) 1 lb/week.

If tonight I decide to do a few miles running on the treadmill, I will be burning off some of the calories I have already eaten. Say, after inputting my stats correctly into the treadmill, it says I burnt 300 calories, then I can replace those calories and still lose weight at 1lb/week. As others have noted, machines tend to overestimate calorie burn so I would only eat 50% (150 calories). If I did actually burn close to 300 calories then I'm ending the day with a net slightly under 1550 calories; if not then the most I'm going to be is 150 calories over my allowance. There's no way to be certain where the real number lies and sometimes it takes a few days to show up on the weigh scales.

It's all a bit trial and error and looking at the long term trends rather than day to day.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

The way MFP does things doesn't change the meaning of "net." The reason the "MFP net" is the way it is has nothing to do with NEAT versus TDEE. MFP is just trying to give people a goal number that tells them how many calories they can eat. If you wanted, you could use the TDEE method on MFP by including your exercise when you choose your activity level and then not recording exercise. You would still have a number telling you how many calories you've eaten that you can compare to your goal.

well yeah you could, but then you dont eat those calories back. Ive tried the TDEE method before and for me it seemed like it didnt work as well. maybe its just me lol