Inexpensive options for tracking running miles?

Options
Hello,

I want to start tracking how many miles I'm running outside. I have a Polar FT4 HRM and unfortunately that doesn't track miles. I also run with a pedometer but the one I have is not accurate. I don't have a smart phone (yea for real :embarassed: ) so I can't download any apps that will do this. I don't have an Ipod either. I just have an old MP3 player.

Edit: I can't change the title of my post and I now realize that I wasn't clear. I'm actually looking for something that will calculate and tell me how many miles I have ran and it would be nice to also know what my average pace was.

So, what are my options?

Thanks for your recommendations!

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    www.mapmyrun.com

it's freee!!!!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Google has an option called "trails" or something like that where you can trace your hike onto their map and they'll tell you how far you went. Pretty cool because you can go through yards and off-road and such. That's all I can think of...
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    www.mapmyrun.com

it's freee!!!!

I second that!
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    I love my Garmin ForeRunner 305
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i just wrote about this in the c25k group. im trying out sports-tracker.com its seems fun we can be friends and support each other on there. and its free!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/

I like this for mapping my running routes.
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    mapmyfitness.com is a good site also.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use geodistance.com
  • nlfrancis
    nlfrancis Posts: 35
    Options
    Runnersworld.com has a place where you can log your runs, make maps, and check out others maps in your area. Plus they have really great articles and support for new and experienced runners. By far my favorite
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like mapmywalk.com it has the option for walking, dog walking, run/jog and trails.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun.com for sure.

Also, idk if you have a smart phone, there's an app called run keeper. I use it everyday and I love it!
  • sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dailymile.com. It's amazing. It has better mapping software than MapMyRun and has a community, like MFP, if you want it. I can also track other kind of exercise.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    www.mapmyrun.com

it's freee!!!!

I always use this site to map out how far I want to go the night before a run. I love it cause the next day I have an "end point" to strive for!
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone that are a lot of different apps available. I have been using Runkeeper (http://runkeeper.com) and have enjoyed using it. Best part it is free!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Do you run with an iPod? You can get the Nike+ attachment for your iPod, and it will track your mileage and your splits. I think it was like 20 bucks!
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Options
    www.mapmyrun.com

it's freee!!!!

I second that!

^^^AGREE!!!
  • CDBrookins
    Options
    Love my Garmin 305 also.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When I didn't have a smartphone (I use RunKeeper now to track my miles, and really like it), or the internet (cheap college days), I used to just take my car back along my routes and drive them out so I knew how far it was. Didn't work on trails or things like that, but I used to be able to guesstimate my distance pretty well that way.
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you plan to get an iPhone/Android phone or GPS device like a Garmin, pick a website which will allow you to import the data from you device. That way you won't have to move or lose your running history.

I use runkeeper.com which allows me import data from my Garmin Forerunner 305. Runkeeper also has an app for iPhone and Android smartphones. You can also manually create routes/maps and enter your time and import your Polar heart rate data.

So runkeeper.com is pretty flexible and will fit with your growing needs.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If you plan to get an iPhone/Android phone or GPS device like a Garmin, pick a website which will allow you to import the data from you device. That way you won't have to move or lose your running history.

I use runkeeper.com which allows me import data from my Garmin Forerunner 305. Runkeeper also has an app for iPhone and Android smartphones. You can also manually create routes/maps and enter your time and import your Polar heart rate data.

So runkeeper.com is pretty flexible and will fit with your growing needs.

Jack I didnt know we could import Garmin data into runkeeper! Im stoked