Is 3 months (13 weeks) enough time to train for a 10-mile run? Starting from almost zero...

Options
As the title says, I'm wondering if 13 weeks is long enough to train to get up to a 10-mile run. I'm not starting from ZERO exactly, but pretty close.
I used to run fairly frequently several years ago, but stopped when I had a baby then switched over to strength training and don't run much at all anymore. My cardio endurance is pretty much gone. I can currently only manage about a mile before I need to stop and walk.
I would really just be looking to run for fun with friends and not "race", but I would want to be able to at least run most of it without stopping.
Thoughts?

Replies

• davepete57
    davepete57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    13 weeks should be plenty of time. You should also consider the run/walk method by Jeff Galloway. A lot of runners (me included) will often walk for periods during long runs. Good luck.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question but I do know that there are several sites out that have training schedules for runners. They build up distance each week. I follow one for walking a 10K and then will do one for a half marathon.

This site has schedules for walkers and runners...

This is a 15K runners schedule but can be modified for 10 miles. It also has multiple levels...novice, intermediate...etc

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51126/15K-10-mile-Training-Guide
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I can't answer your question but I do know that there are several sites out that have training schedules for runners. They build up distance each week. I follow one for walking a 10K and then will do one for a half marathon.

This is a 15K runners schedule but can be modified for 10 miles. It also has multiple levels...novice, intermediate...etc

Thanks! I didn't make the mental connection that 10 miles is right around 15k so I didn't think to look for that training plan. This is super helpful :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    C25k is 8 weeks. And for a beginner it can be hard, with some weeks needing to be repeat. I first started C25k a month into my weight loss and injured myself in week 3. Sidelined me for months. Gave it another go after losing 50 lbs and finished it. Ran a 5k shortly after. Did the program again a year after having my 2nd baby and ran a 5k a month after completing. Based on my own experience, coming from nothing, I'm going to say no. 13 weeks to train for 10 miles is a recipe for injury, let alone how hard it is. On top of that, you'd need to make sure you're getting enough calories to sustain your running and schedule. For a newbie, that's going to be tough.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    C25k is 8 weeks. And for a beginner it can be hard, with some weeks needing to be repeat. I first started C25k a month into my weight loss and injured myself in week 3. Sidelined me for months. Gave it another go after losing 50 lbs and finished it. Ran a 5k shortly after. Did the program again a year after having my 2nd baby and ran a 5k a month after completing. Based on my own experience, coming from nothing, I'm going to say no. 13 weeks to train for 10 miles is a recipe for injury, let alone how hard it is. On top of that, you'd need to make sure you're getting enough calories to sustain your running and schedule. For a newbie, that's going to be tough.

Yeah, I know, but perhaps I exaggerated with the "almost zero" starting point. Like I said, I can run a mile without stopping now, and probably about 3 miles if I do a 8:2 run/walk interval. So I wouldn't need to start with C25K. I've done that program in the past successfully and love it, though!
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    13 weeks and you can already do that? Yeah it'll be tough but you can do it. Just adding a mile a week on your longest run and you'll be getting there
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't starting with any injuries, I think you could do it. It probably won't be the most fun race you'll ever do, but physically it would be possible.

I'm currently doing the Hal Higdon 10 mile training plan (15K, actually) on the intermediate level for an upcoming race. I highly recommend his training plans -- they've got them for multiple levels and they're very practical to fit around daily life (at least for me). I did my first marathon last year following one of his plans.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It'll be tight, but if you go with a walk/run methodology you'll probably be ok
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C25k is 8 weeks, c210k is 16 weeks, I think. That gets you to 6 miles. So no, not really if you want to minimize injury. It depends on your starting fitness level also.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Thanks! I didn't make the mental connection that 10 miles is right around 15k so I didn't think to look for that training plan. This is super helpful :)

The Hal Higdon novice plan has it set to a 10 week training program. Since you you have 13 weeks to work with, you can repeat weeks or take breaks as needed. Plus you can already go ~3 miles, so I'd say you can totally do this.

I did the Hal Higdon half marathon plan from about the same place as you. I had been doing walk/run intervals up to 3 miles or so for awhile and wanted something more concrete to aim for. I had never done a race before. :smile: I gave myself 18 weeks to do the 12 week program, mostly because I had my best friend's wedding during that time so I knew there would be several weeks I wouldn't be able to get in a long run. I had a great time.

So make sure you have good shoes, stick to your plan, and keep in mind you can always walk. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it would be physically possible...probably not a lot of fun though, and you're most certainly putting yourself at a greater risk of injury considering little to no base going into what would have to be a rather aggressive training plan.

At least for myself, the race probably wouldn't be a whole lot of fun either...I don't run, but I participate in a handful of cycling events annually and I personally prefer to be challenged, but not to the point of it being no fun and just having to grind through something, but that's just me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Are the friends you plan to run with also beginners? Will they be willing to do a Galloway style race or will you be running alone? Do you just plan to just meet up at the beginning and the end? If so, then it doesn't matter if you end up walking more than you intend now.

Be careful to listen to your body. Doing too much too soon can lead to injury, so take your runs as slow and easy as you can and if you feel real pain, back off.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Super-duper unlikely, in my opinion. Remember, you are not just gradually increasing your mileage day after day, week after week. You are increasing the stress on your body, pretty rapidly.....which means.....you probably will get some kind of a repetitive stress injury at some point in those first 5-6 weeks. Shin splits or plantar fasciitis or something. That will set you back one, maybe two, weeks.
    I am pretty sure all new runners get an injury at some point, as they go from not running to running a fair distance. I know I did, and I was 20 years old and strong and pretty light (140-145 pounds).
    Plus, I always found that you can increase your mileage about every week. But not every run. That means you will be adding a full mile every week of this period. That is a lot.