Turmeric

Options
I've been reading up on the properties of Turmeric & the good things it can do for us. Does anyone take it and can vouch for these claims? I suffer from an autoimmune condition & am hoping it can help with my joint pain.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I use it when I steam veggies, add it to rice etc.

I took it in tablet form last year for bone pains but found no benefit.
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We give it to my dog who has arthiritis. He is back to his bouncy self now who doesn't struggle to stand up or get on his chair. It's an anti inflammatory and anti bacterial. Personally just love the taste of it. Tumeric chicken is one of my fave things to take in a packed lunch to work when we have chicken breasts in the house <3
    Not many studies have been done in it and those that have havn't exactly produced results that would claim it works for anything other than a spice but it is part of the ginger family.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Just started taking it last week feel NO relief yet I 'll give it 90 days
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have taken it for arthritis pain and I find some relief when I take it routinely, every day. My right knee is problematic and definitely feels better when I am taking turmeric everyday. Usually between 500 and 1000 mg.

I also use the raw root in smoothies and grated into salads, eggs, etc.

There is another product that I've had stellar results with: New Chapter's Zyflamend.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    my dr suggested it about 4 months ago as perhaps a way to cut back on the nsaids and hydrocodone i was taking for osteoarthritis i take a 660mg capsule that is 600mg tumeric, 50mg cucuminoids, and 10mg bioperine. it took about 3 weeks to start noticing an effect... instead of taking naproxyn, aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen throughout the day ( a different type every 3-4 hours).. i now generally just take 400mg acetaminophen in the morning and that gets me through nearly everyday. in the same period of time i have lost 30 pounds so that might be helping as well. YMMV
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase of adding turmeric and black pepper to my stir-fry skillet of vegetables. I can't report anything special about it.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I drink turmeric tea and while I enjoy the flavor, I've not witnessed any anti-inflammatory benefit for my knee.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Nice to have some different experiences.
  • kytdkyt
    kytdkyt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am taking it for joint pain in my fingers and it seems to have helped some. A friend also recommended fish oil (the actual oil, not capsules or pills) and I have more relief when I take both the fish oil and the turmeric capsules at breakfast and dinner each day.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    jvcjim wrote: »
    my dr suggested it about 4 months ago as perhaps a way to cut back on the nsaids and hydrocodone i was taking for osteoarthritis i take a 660mg capsule that is 600mg tumeric, 50mg cucuminoids, and 10mg bioperine. it took about 3 weeks to start noticing an effect... instead of taking naproxyn, aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen throughout the day ( a different type every 3-4 hours).. i now generally just take 400mg acetaminophen in the morning and that gets me through nearly everyday. in the same period of time i have lost 30 pounds so that might be helping as well. YMMV

This surprises me. Is your doctor a naturopath?

• jasminelace
    jasminelace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make a curry powder with it and add a little to all my food for the health benefits, not the taste. Most say the pills are not as effective as the actual seasoning, so test each one to see what will work best for you. You can add a lil to your meat, veggies, or both, but having it in your system daily will help. (Curry powder recipe was from Dr. Oz show)
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I had taken it regularly a few years ago when I was treating Lyme disease. It seemed to help with the inflammation.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Every day in pill form for inflammation, run 60 miles plus a week. I would endorse it as a supplement.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I tried it for bone/joint pain. Took a whole bottle and no difference. Osteo Biflex on the other hand helps quite a bit for me (I have arthritis in my knees and spinal stenosis) so I take it daily without fail.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I regularly use turmeric in cooking, steep the root (plus ginger) for tea, and also take the capsules. Not all at the same time, just saying it's a part of my daily regimen for food and supplements. I have a lot of joint pain from both onset of osteoarthritis and a side effect of a required medication that I take. I'm not sure it has really relieved the inflammation all that much. However, if it helps even a little that a bonus. If I stopped using it would I feel worse? I do enjoy the taste, so it's not a hardship to continue making it a part of my daily life.

I also take fish oil and just started taking Hawaiin Astaxanthin, which I believe is derived from an algae specific to Hawaii. A friend reports improvement in her joint pain from taking this and it's also an antioxidant, so I'm giving it a try.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.
  • amy_x0
    amy_x0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it is not easily absorbed in the body. If you combine it with black pepper (which irritates the stomache lining), it is more easily absorbed. I found this info on WebMD.
  • seeker005
    seeker005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have started taking it a couple of weeks ago. I suspect it works but keep in mind you will not "see results for a while and even then because the effects of herbs as a rule are slow you may not even notice it... everything depends on dosages, frequency and duration the smaller and less frequent the longer it will take for any herb to work.