Vicious Cycle

Options
What to do to fight this vicious appetite 2 weeks out of the month? I am getting my cycle soon and I know because I want to take a bite of my desk right now. I don't track it at all but I know from the incredible overwhelming sensation of hunger I'm having. I feel out of control when this happens. I only have one normal week a month. One week of hunger followed by another week of hunger, headaches and cramps. Then the most horrible heavy period and it's over. The pain is horrible the hunger is horrific it is all a nightmare. Does anyone have any tips or trips to get through this a little better? Surgery is not an option. Something has to work besides Strawberry Ice Cream. I don't even want to log in this damn coca cola and doritos I'm eating. My husband wants to walk tonight and I want to hang on the couch. SMH :'( Also did I say that it takes away all my motivation to work out.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Does walking help?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Agree you should talk to your doctor. BC or a Mirena might help if they're options.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Controversial suggestion maybe, but have you considered getting medical help? If your period in one way or another affects 3 out of 4 weeks a month it might be worth going on the pill for example. That way you can reduce or completely get rid of the pain and definitely reduce the heaviness and duration of the period giving you more time to be you and stick to your routine.

Other than that exercise usually helps even though you have to force yourself to get started and drinking lots of water and staying away from sodium will help to not feel so bloated.

I was going to recommend something like this too. I'm so incredibly fortunate that i might get a little more peckish a day or two before mine arrive, and not every month either. But other than that i get zero pms symptoms.

If this was affecting my quality of life like it is yours, then I'd be going to a doctor and get put on some kind of birth control that would hopefully blunt or eradicate the symptoms.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear it's that rough. When I had PMS hunger/cravings, I tried to not give in to the cravings for sweets, (because I couldn't moderate), but ate as much nutrient dense food as I wanted so that I didn't go mad with hunger. I still lost. I've heard it said that your metabolism increases when you're PMSing. You're problems seem a lot more involved, apologies if my response sounds like "it's easy".
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Controversial suggestion maybe, but have you considered getting medical help? If your period in one way or another affects 3 out of 4 weeks a month it might be worth going on the pill for example. That way you can reduce or completely get rid of the pain and definitely reduce the heaviness and duration of the period giving you more time to be you and stick to your routine.

Other than that exercise usually helps even though you have to force yourself to get started and drinking lots of water and staying away from sodium will help to not feel so bloated.

I'll third this. I had horrendous, heavy, godawful periods before birth control. Now I don't. If you're already on one kind, try another.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Also wanted to suggest/ask about BC, the Pill took care of most of my extreme PMS, and shortened and lessened my TOM. Some brands can increase your appetite or have their own side effects, but it sounds like it can't be worse than you are experiencing. I also had a doctor before I decided on BC that suggested a calcium/magnesium supplement, though I admit I don't remember why/how that would help.

I also agree with the previous posters that exercise and hydration help too. The thing with exercise is you have to remember how you feel when you are done, as opposed to how you feel when you start. I find when I feel crampy and grumpy, I never feel like moving, but a brisk walk leaves me feeling much better.

ALWAYS log, even if it looks awful, sometimes we don't realize how much of what we think we have no control over is actually just habit. Sometimes seeing it in writing helps motivate you to at least make better choices in comfort eating LOL.

I don't mean this as an insult, but just wanted to add, do a gut check and make sure it really is that bad, and not just something you have gotten used to using as a crutch. I'm not saying you are, I completely relate to what you are going through, but I've also known some people who get great comfort from convincing themselves they are in too much pain/too many cravings/etc to lose weight.

In all seriousness, if you are legit struggling through three weeks every month, and all your current doctor can suggest is surgery, get a second opinion. A lot of women have to deal with a few days a month of discomfort/pain and cravings, but what you are describing is not normal. Good luck :drinker:

I often wonder how much of some women's pms symptoms is mental. .. Not saying this is you OP, not at all!

They know tom is approaching and the panic sets in, they resign themselves to the fact that they are going to eat the house down, not exercise etc etc Do this for enough years and it becomes an auto pilot thing. The mind is powerful and mysterious, what will happen is what you expect to happen.

• SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My GYN put me on Yaz because it helped with PMDD which is basically a more severe form of PMS and it took away all of my PMS symptoms. It did such a good job that when I finally got off of it, I didn't even recognize or know how to cope with the real deal PMS when it hit. I track my cycle with an app called Clue so I always know when I'm getting close to my PMS time or if I am feeling a little extra hungry I know why. I now know how to handle it but maybe you can try out Yaz, I loved it. And like some others have said, you may just have to buckle down and get through it. Maybe you can work out to help with extra calories you're eating. I know that when I exercise, it tends to be an appetite suppressant for me. And coffee, coffee in the mid afternoon always keeps me from rummaging in the pantry during that time of the month.
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sounds good ladies. Thank you for the suggestions. First let me say I am 45...of course I have seen the doctor about this and have had many forms of birth control. Never a good reaction to any of them. So I just deal with it. I promise, the pain, the cramps the appetite is not in my head. It is all very real. I can go through almost a whole bag of napkins in one cycle. I will say this. If I work out it is not as heavy but I do still get every thing else. I think the suggestion about drinking a lot of water is one that I will try. Honestly I don't drink a lot of water. I am not using this as an excuse or a crutch of any sort. You all are right I have to keep pushing through. So that is what I intend on doing. I just can't with another birth control. Nothing good ever comes from it for me.
  • msc4124
    msc4124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For the pain ibuprofen and chamomile tea and maybe son cinnamon. The tea will help with the cramps and ibuprofen too, take it maybe 30 mins. Before any exercise.
    Hunger, green bell peppers, or anything that has water. Tons of water. I know is hard n I experience the same thing too foe 2 wks. Out of the month.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oh you're so not alone. You described me completely. It's awful and unfortunately a lot of people really don't get it... And the last few months my cycles have one lasted 3 weeks, so it's pretty much non stop hell.

First, medicate. I pretty much have to alternate Advil and Tylenol (or store brands, but it has to be soft gels or it takes too long to work) every 2-3 hours for days. I start as soon as I get up. Once the pain is gone, it's much easier to get moving.

Exercise more. Seriously. My last bad PMS day was bad, but I try to stay active and end up burning off a big chunk of the surplus (I laugh at the 'eat at maintenance' posts. Maintenance doesn't even get close to cutting it for me). I've increased my activity and walk whenever I have 30 minutes to kill (instead of just sitting down and watching TV or browsing the web or something - exceptions being in the morning while I drink my coffee and at night when the kids are in bed).

Find what foods REALLY satisfy you. That horrible hunger feeling... what can you eat in reasonable quantities to make it go away? For me, I've found that just a plain English muffin will work much better than ice cream or cookies (I might crave them but they really don't satisfy me and I can't stop eating them if I start at that time). The key is to eat as little as possible of the thing that will satisfy you, and avoid the stuff that won't, no matter how tempting.

The whole mental thing... I know it's not it for me because sometimes I skip a period and it doesn't happen to me at all. I always kinda feel insulted when people suggest it though! And yeah, some cycles it doesn't happen more than maybe a day and I'm so grateful.

And my best advice if you don't want to gain weight from that - eat less on the easier days. It sucks, but that's pretty much how I've managed not to gain back the weight in 2.5 years (I've gained back a couple pounds when Holidays and special events fell on usually 'normal' days and I wasn't able to keep a deficit that 'easy' week, but that's pretty much it and my clothes still fit the same).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Another question for your doc: what hormone(s) specifically cause the intolerable symptoms and are there other ways to moderate them (without BC)?

For example, I've read up a bit on prostaglandin because I've experienced a problem. It's locally produced (vs. by the pituitary or another gland carried by bloodstream) and it makes smooth muscles contract and swell. I.e. cramps. In excess it can cause an explosive situation for the bowels (smooth muscle) plus nausea, fainting and a whopper headache. Taking a fast acting NSAID (ibuprofen) right at onset can blunt the local production of prostaglandin and save you from a whole bunch of headache (figuratively and literally). Knowing exactly when you expect shark week to start (vs. waiting for symptoms to develop) helps this approach. That's the limit of my knowledge and experience.

Good luck, OP. I hope there's a more manageable way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    Sounds good ladies. Thank you for the suggestions. First let me say I am 45...of course I have seen the doctor about this and have had many forms of birth control. Never a good reaction to any of them. So I just deal with it. I promise, the pain, the cramps the appetite is not in my head. It is all very real. I can go through almost a whole bag of napkins in one cycle. I will say this. If I work out it is not as heavy but I do still get every thing else. I think the suggestion about drinking a lot of water is one that I will try. Honestly I don't drink a lot of water. I am not using this as an excuse or a crutch of any sort. You all are right I have to keep pushing through. So that is what I intend on doing. I just can't with another birth control. Nothing good ever comes from it for me.

Sorry :(. You would be amazed how many people post on here that they are constipated for 3 weeks and can't get out of bed and there is yellow ooze leaking out of their eyes and they can't remember what number comes after 4 and ask for advice on what to eat. And people post Go To The Doctor! And they go, hmmm that might be a good idea I'll think about going to the doctor LOL.

I don't normally suggest "alternative" stuff, but meditation is often touted for chronic pain management. There are free apps you can download, maybe it would be worth trying as well.

Do you know around when your older female relatives started menopause? Maybe nature will give you some relief sooner rather than later.

Not sure if this applies, but I used to suffer from migraines. Once the pain hit, there was nothing that would do any good. But if I started taking ibuprofen on a schedule at the first sign the migraine was coming, the pain would never develop beyond some slight pressure. Perhaps try starting Midol etc before the symptoms really start? I know regular use of NSAIDS is troublesome, but knowing your age, there is a limited amount of time you would need to rely on them. (I'm 44 and I can't wait to have to stop dealing with this crap myself!)

Best of luck, and sorry you are going through this
  • cake91
    cake91 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor/ dietician but i heard once that bananna is meant to help with period cramps. Worth a try if you can have bananna xxx
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Also wanted to suggest/ask about BC, the Pill took care of most of my extreme PMS, and shortened and lessened my TOM. Some brands can increase your appetite or have their own side effects, but it sounds like it can't be worse than you are experiencing. I also had a doctor before I decided on BC that suggested a calcium/magnesium supplement, though I admit I don't remember why/how that would help.

I also agree with the previous posters that exercise and hydration help too. The thing with exercise is you have to remember how you feel when you are done, as opposed to how you feel when you start. I find when I feel crampy and grumpy, I never feel like moving, but a brisk walk leaves me feeling much better.

ALWAYS log, even if it looks awful, sometimes we don't realize how much of what we think we have no control over is actually just habit. Sometimes seeing it in writing helps motivate you to at least make better choices in comfort eating LOL.

I don't mean this as an insult, but just wanted to add, do a gut check and make sure it really is that bad, and not just something you have gotten used to using as a crutch. I'm not saying you are, I completely relate to what you are going through, but I've also known some people who get great comfort from convincing themselves they are in too much pain/too many cravings/etc to lose weight.

In all seriousness, if you are legit struggling through three weeks every month, and all your current doctor can suggest is surgery, get a second opinion. A lot of women have to deal with a few days a month of discomfort/pain and cravings, but what you are describing is not normal. Good luck :drinker:

I often wonder how much of some women's pms symptoms is mental. .. Not saying this is you OP, not at all!

They know tom is approaching and the panic sets in, they resign themselves to the fact that they are going to eat the house down, not exercise etc etc Do this for enough years and it becomes an auto pilot thing. The mind is powerful and mysterious, what will happen is what you expect to happen.

I did read something about this. There was some study that showed that women who reported the worst symptoms (without any medical explanation) tended to be the least busy. Literally, they had more time on their hands to think about it.
    Also pain is subjective. People have varying tolerances for it. Doctors say that period pains lessen after a woman has given birth. This is partly to do with the stretching of the uterus but also to do with perspective. The pain of labor far exceeds menstrual cramps and somehow that is remembered.
    OP forgot to say that often anti-depressants will help with this. If you can't take contraceptives you may want to look into it.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    9 out of the 10 times that I went off the track were right before my period started. I'm there with ya sistar! I started meal prep this past Sun & my period is coming in 5 days. I've been eating high protein diet for the past couple days and haven't had cravings (knock wood). If I still feel the same next month, I'd say high protein diet definitely helps because carbs, let's be honest, are addicting! So maybe try a higher protein (over 40%) diet to see how you feel.