The big 21.

Options
I turn 21 this weekend! I used to drink alot (sounds bad considering my age) but this past year it has only been every few months. Since I've been on my weight loss journey I have barely had any drinks and now that I am going to be legal I have to say, I am pretty nervous about having self control since most of my friends go out to the bars frequently. Has drinking alcohol stopped weight loss for anyone and has it caused you to gain a significant amount? What types of alcohol have the least calories? I am already fearing the beer and cake !

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. Drinking it without 'watering' it down with other caloric beverages would reduce your total calorie count but might burn a bit, lol.
  • Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No thank you! Lol
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    First, remember that just one day of overindulgence isn't going to ruin you. It's how we eat in the long-term, not how we eat at an occasional party, that affects how we put on or lose weight.

Second, there's another thread around here somewhere with a discussion of how alcohol affects our weight loss. The answer is that as long as we're still running a calorie deficit, it doesn't. If you want to have a drink at the end of the day, as long as it fits into your calorie goals that's perfectly fine. And at special occasions, moderation is the key. Just because you're drinking, that doesn't mean you have to get drunk.

As for what kind of alcohol has the least calories, it depends on what you're doing. If you want to know what has the fewest calories with the most alcohol, that would be anything distilled. A glass of wine generally has about 125 calories. Beer varies quite a lot, especially if you're drinking craft brews. You'll need to look them up individually.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You can also pace yourself by alternating an alcoholic beverage with a glass of water. Helps you stay hydrated as well.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Molly_234 wrote: »
    I turn 21 this weekend! I used to drink alot (sounds bad considering my age) but this past year it has only been every few months. Since I've been on my weight loss journey I have barely had any drinks and now that I am going to be legal I have to say, I am pretty nervous about having self control since most of my friends go out to the bars frequently. Has drinking alcohol stopped weight loss for anyone and has it caused you to gain a significant amount? What types of alcohol have the least calories? I am already fearing the beer and cake !

Empty calories. I gave up alcohol completely when I lost weight back in my 20's. And yes, I went out to the bars with my friends, all the time. I simply drank water. And I still had a blast. :) I will have an occasional drink now - maybe once a month. When I do, it's something like a mojito, or rum and diet coke.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Light. Beer. ;)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can also pace yourself by alternating an alcoholic beverage with a glass of water. Helps you stay hydrated as well.

^^Amazing what a difference this can make when out with friends. Nominally, an average body metabolizes one drink an hour, so it helps to be aware of your pace.

I can gain weight from alcohol. I normally drink wine on weekends only, and save calories during the week for that, but on vacation DH and I easily put down a bottle every day. That's 300 extra calories a day, or two pounds/month just from what I consider to be pretty moderate alcohol. The real danger for me, though, is IDGAF if I have more than 2 drinks. there's always unplanned eating if I have more than 2. Always.
  • Molly_234
    Options
    Light. Beer. ;)

Not enough flavor :/
  • Molly_234
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

^^Amazing what a difference this can make when out with friends. Nominally, an average body metabolizes one drink an hour, so it helps to be aware of your pace.

I can gain weight from alcohol. I normally drink wine on weekends only, and save calories during the week for that, but on vacation DH and I easily put down a bottle every day. That's 300 extra calories a day, or two pounds/month just from what I consider to be pretty moderate alcohol. The real danger for me, though, is IDGAF if I have more than 2 drinks. there's always unplanned eating if I have more than 2. Always.

Yes I prefer wine and beer. My problem is that if I choose to drink that evening its never going to be just a couple drinks. It's usually much more and it always leads to bad food choices later to "absorb the alcohol."
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, by the way!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday. Before I was 21, I didn't drink alcohol. After I was 21, I didn't drink alcohol. I even tried once before and once after. Bleh.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Molly_234 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Yes I prefer wine and beer. My problem is that if I choose to drink that evening its never going to be just a couple drinks. It's usually much more and it always leads to bad food choices later to "absorb the alcohol."

This is me too. When I overdo it, I eat like crazy. It becomes a no holds barred eating fest.

It's your 21st birthday...have your beer or wine, eat something beforehand because drinking on an empty stomach is never fun, and get a safe ride home. Maybe have a bottle of water by your bed handy because when I wake up from a night of heavy drinking, my mouth is crazy dry and I feel gross.

Happy birthday!
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. It doesn't hurt to go out an indulge on occasion. Back when I turned 21, I found that it wasn't a big deal to go out drinking because I could do it any time I wanted. Hopefully it doesn't become the norm.

Someone on here posted this site. It shows how to get the best bang for your caloric buck out of alcohol.
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I drank alcohol daily while losing weight. Back when I was your age I drank quite a bit more than now, and went out to bars every weekend. Yet I was very thin back then. My advice is to dance.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have consumed wine and lost weight. However, I have a hard time not eating everything when drinking.

So for now, I have given up all spirits and wine until. It's been 2 months. The weight loss has been easier for the simple fact that I have more calories to spend on food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I never got into going to bars or drinking alcohol regularly. I drink alcohol maybe once a year. I just like other drinks better. No one ever dumped me as a friend over it.
    Expand your friendships, hobbies and interests so you can socialize in other ways.
    You don't have to drink as much alcohol as your friends even if you go to a bar. Decide your limit and stick to it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    OK, here's another thought. Maybe it's crazy. But JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE TURNING 21 DOESN'T MEAN THE CELEBRATION HAS TO BE ALL ABOUT ALCOHOL. When eating out in general, ordering alcohol is an easy way to bomb your calories for the day...that's true for anyone.

But if you have any say in your celebration, just pick a venue that isn't all about the alcohol. Seriously, you can go to the movies or a basketball game or whatever and just not have that be the focus of the party.
  • Molly_234
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes and advice!
  • marrrisa
    marrrisa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1. Happy birthday! Turning 21 is so fun.
    2. OMG TOTALLY GO BANANAS (safely) FOR YOUR 21st. You only get to turn 21 once, and the fun of drinking and partying with your friends will only decrease with each year (from what I've experienced). A year or two from now you won't look back on your birthday and think 'man if only I hadn't gone 1,000 calories over for one day' but instead you'll think 'what an amazing time I had with all my friends' (hopefully it is amazing at least!)
    3. Don't be worried about calories at all for your birthday. As my mom says, 'calories don't count on your birthday.. or any holiday' ;) because seriously, one day doesn't matter.
    4. BUT, wine is 600ish calories a bottle, and you can get drunk off of a bottle. In my opinion, going 5-600 over your daily intake goal is not a big deal at all if infrequent. Just walk 2k steps each day extra the next week if you're super worried about it. And as far as hard alcohol goes, they do have some vodkas that are considered 'light' and are 60-80 calories per shot (oz). Just be sure not to mix them with sugary, high-calorie beverages! And try to stay away from beer - some cans can have around 200 calories, and usually you need 3-4 to be having a 'great' time. Adds up and makes you really bloated/full (at least for me)

I personally indulge in wine during the week. Never has stopped my progress, nor do I care really. I'll just work out a little bit harder if unwinding with a glass of wine makes me happy :)

Obviously, all of these are of my opinion, others may not agree.

Anyway, have so much fun!!