Can't Stop eating in the middle of the night.

Options
As long as I can I remember I have always woke up in the middle of the night craving a snack. Most of the time it will be a low crab tortilla with a table spoon of honey and almond butter (sometimes x 2). There has been times where I have had a quaker chocolate peanut butter granola bar and almond milk, which is a lot better than what I use to have.
I just want to stop eating at night period and I don't know what to do about curbing that midnight craving for something sweet.
Any ideas on what to do?

Replies

• emeraldbullsnake
    emeraldbullsnake Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try a hot cup of tea
    It works for me
    Something with no caffeine like camomile or mint i dont do this un the middle of the night but i do it before bed because i try to stop eating 4 hours before bed
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it's like to want to eat at night (I'm lazy.. I'm enjoy sleeping to much), but I have changed my mornings. When I was overweight at 21, I would get up at 6am with my stomach burning and clawing. It was so bad I couldnt move right away. It was agony. Then I had to grab SOMETHING, even a handful of cereal, just to get it to stop. I couldn't function until I did. I hated it. It wasn't fair. So.. I decided to suffer with that agony to punish my system for trying to dictate to me when it was going to eat. I starved myself until noon. It hurt. I won't lie. I couldn't move for several hours. But after several weeks passed, the pain became less and less frequent. Now, I don't feel hungry at all until noon.
  • melaniefay82
    melaniefay82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have similar habits. I'm truly surprised that nobody has yet told you to just drink some water and go back to bed and get over it. That doesn't work for me though. Especially on higher millage weeks. I do try to stick to liquids though so it does not disturb my sleep and nutrition plan much. Slamming a glass of cold almond milk really helps the midnight munchies for me; chocolate or plain. Most of the time that's enough to satisfy, but every once in a while I will have a spoonful or two of nut butter. No big deal. I don't care to beat myself up over eating when hungry (no matter what time it is) as long as I'm choosing nutrient dense foods.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As odd as it sounds, cheese always cures my midnight sweet tooth. I only eat a little as I'm lactose intolerant... like quarter a coon tasty cheese slice. Ends up being around 20-22cals but always makes me happy.

Sometimes it will cause issues, as my stomach will go a little nutts but I still really enjoy it and it helps my cravings. =) Another thing if you're still dead set on sweets, make a cup of tea with stevia. I have a strawberry stevia drink i use in tea. Makes all my tea taste like strawberries. I also add a little almond milk as i like my tea milky. All up 0-1gm carbs =)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    plan an evening snack prior to bed - I eat a small bowl of cereal every night as I'm reading in bed
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Or you could keep your late snack and just save the calories for it.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I always preplan my night snack. I may even exchange out my daytime snacks so I can have a larger night time snack...that's how necessary a night snack is for me, haha! I tried to just not have a night time snack and led me to bingeing or when one of my kids would wake me up in the middle of night, it would be super hard not to go grab something out of the kitchen. So I now have a single serve bag of popcorn and a fanta zero and it works out perfectly!
  • jamierobinson12
    jamierobinson12 Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Try and consume a big portion of your carbs at night it may help you sleep through.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would just plan a snack for that time that fit my goals personally and not fight it.

If you don't want to eat then get a drink and go back to bed.
    Eat something right before going to bed.
    Don't get up and go to the kitchen during the night.
    It will probably take a month or so to change your habit.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    mcs_runner wrote: »
    As long as I can I remember I have always woke up in the middle of the night craving a snack. Most of the time it will be a low crab tortilla with a table spoon of honey and almond butter (sometimes x 2). There has been times where I have had a quaker chocolate peanut butter granola bar and almond milk, which is a lot better than what I use to have.
    I just want to stop eating at night period and I don't know what to do about curbing that midnight craving for something sweet.
    Any ideas on what to do?

You literally wake up in the middle of the night, to eat?? I've never heard of such a thing. (What the heck is a "low crab tortilla? That sounds gross! :s )
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've heard this is a side effect of some sleep meds. Do you take any?
  • vsevertson
    vsevertson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You literally wake up in the middle of the night, to eat?? I've never heard of such a thing. (What the heck is a "low crab tortilla? That sounds gross! :s )[/quote]

I am pretty sure that he meant low "carb" tortilla. You can find them in the tortilla section. They are more like a wrap. Way less calories than a regular tortilla.

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Seems like a pretty calorie dense snack!
    As long as you're counting that as part of your daily calories, you should be okay. However if that's in addition TO what you're eating, you're going to probably find your progress lacking sooner than later.

Are you purposefully avoiding food for X time before bed?
    Ideally I wouldn't want to be eating in the middle of the night, or have fractured sleep.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

This is what I do. I have a yogurt or a piece of cheese nearly every night in bed before I go to sleep. Works for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

I agree with this. Sometimes it's best not to fight your body and just work your diet around your quirks.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Eat more during the day. Focus on protein, carbs and fiber.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    vsevertson wrote: »

You literally wake up in the middle of the night, to eat?? I've never heard of such a thing. (What the heck is a "low crab tortilla? That sounds gross! :s )[/quote]

I am pretty sure that he meant low "carb" tortilla. You can find them in the tortilla section. They are more like a wrap. Way less calories than a regular tortilla.

[/quote]

LOL!!!! I can't believe I didn't catch that. :* DOH! (Seriously I was thinking that had to be disgusting... :p )
  • olyamhc
    olyamhc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's a habit and just needs to be broken. It will be uncomfortable, but possible. Likely you need to pay attention to your thoughts and feelings and learn how to tolerate hunger and cravings. Both do go away and don't last for very long.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this and I really need to cut it out. My sleep pattern is shot anyway and this doesn't help.