Running shoes

Options
What do you mean by "proper running shoes".
How do you determine good shoes ?
When I go to the shop what should I look for ?
Thank you.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you go to a specialty running shop, they will tell you what you need after they analyze your feet, gait, stride, etc. Those are proper running shoes...going to a chain store and randomly picking a shoe is not (unless you get really really lucky and pick one that happens to be the right one for you).
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Proper running shoes are those designed specifically for running, rather than soccer/cross-training/fashion etc.

Examples:
    • Nike Jordans are for basket ball but wold be terrible for running
    • Nike Romaleos are for weightlifting (specifically squats and Olympic lifts), they are difficult to walk in, let alone run.
    • Nike SB range shoes are for skateboarding and again, would be terrible for most runners.

But the Nike Racer, Luna, AirMax, Pagasus, Free RN ranges (plus others) are designed specifically for running.

Edited to add - Go to a running shop and take some advice: When you first start it is really difficult to pick out the correct shoes without some help.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    azazel833 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "proper running shoes".

Shoes designed for running, and that you use only for running.
    How do you determine good shoes ?

Are they a good fit, appropriate to both your running style and the terrain you're running on?
    When I go to the shop what should I look for ?

Do they fit your budget, and are they comfortable.

Personally I'm not sold on gait analysis as a cure all. It's useful if you're having trouble but the value is oversold.
  • azazel833
    azazel833 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
    In my case Im not a runner, but obese 125kg/178sm.
    Im afraid that due to my heavy weight I can do some harm to my feet.
    Now I just walk with brisk pace - 10,5 min/km or 5,5km/h.
    I do 10km/sesion 4 times a week and 2 times jim.
    Im not gonna analise my feet, will buy something from chain sport shop
    As there are like hundreths of running shoes, should I consider:
    The thickness, softness, wildness, shape of the sole.
    Thank you.

P.S. Excuse my English, its not my native :smile:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Examples:

They do a lot of running in basketball. Just saying. :+1:
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Examples:

They do a lot of running in basketball. Just saying. :+1:

They do, that is true, but not so much in a straight line - running shoes have little lateral support. Basketball shoes have masses to (similar to tennis shoes) account for the sideways force of the sport but they are heavier and have less ventilation than running shoes.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you're set on not going anywhere but a chain shop then go and see which shoe you think you like then google it and see if it's considered a running shoe. Or go for Brooks because they only make running shoes. See if they will let you try them out around the store and/or outside. Some shoe websites will tell you which model is best for you if you take a quiz on the website (http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/ShoeFinder) and then you can look for those. But just going to a chain shop and picking something without having someone who knows what to look for is a real gamble.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    If you are just walking in your shoes, you might do better to look for a heavier walking or hiking shoe. it will last a bit longer than a running shoe. (i.e. 400 miles vs. 800 or more.) You'll want something with good padding that is comfortable. Good job on the 10k walks. That is a great place to start.

If you do eventually want to start running, go to a specialty store. Some people pronate or supinate (feet roll in or roll out as they walk - you can see by the wear in your shoes if you do that badly). They need more support than people whose feet are more neutral. People with a high arch or flat feet may want more or less support. People who are running on rocky trails will want a different kind of sole than people running on dirt tracks or asphalt.
  • seraphinelle
    seraphinelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've just taken up running, and the first week was so uncomfortable in my non running trainers. I had to take a week off.

I went to a running shop, spent more than what I have ever spent on a pair of trainers and my knees thank me for it. They are the ugliest pair of trainers I have ever owned.. But they are awesome. Well worth the investment. :)
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I go to a specialty running store for pair number one, I get expert advice and pay for it, when I pay more for the shoes than I could order them for. After that, I order them online until they are discontinued. I can still find my current shoes online, and they are a model from two years ago.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    azazel833 wrote: »
    Thank you all.
    In my case Im not a runner, but obese 125kg/178sm.
    Im afraid that due to my heavy weight I can do some harm to my feet.
    Now I just walk with brisk pace - 10,5 min/km or 5,5km/h.
    I do 10km/sesion 4 times a week and 2 times jim.
    Im not gonna analise my feet, will buy something from chain sport shop
    As there are like hundreths of running shoes, should I consider:
    The thickness, softness, wildness, shape of the sole.
    Thank you.

P.S. Excuse my English, its not my native :smile:

If you are just walking, you can go to a chain shop and try shoes that are comfortable for YOUR feet. Don't let anyone here give you a brand recommendation. What's good for their feet may hurt yours.

Also, people who aren't runners go to running shops too. They measure your feet, length and width, can have you stand on a scanner to determine your pressure points, etc. From there, they'll determine what shoes will most likely be comfortable for you, let you try them on, walk around or on a treadmill, etc...

As an example, I have very wide feet so there are only a few brands that work for me. Brooks, as mentioned by a previous poster, work great for some, but if I were to get them, I'd be in severe pain.
  • azazel833
    azazel833 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would just go find a pair that feel comfortable to you. If you are just walking, that is most important. I like New Balance shoes, but everyone has their preference. I would just go to a place and try on several different pairs until you find a shoe you like. Just stay away from the generic brands as the wear out quick.