How long does water weight last?

Options
I know there won't be a specific answer to this question so just a general idea would be good. Over the weekend I went on a food tour of NYC and ate a lot more than usual. Sunday I went to soul cycle and I've been eating pretty clean since, but today I measured up two pounds from my maintenance weight. I know two pounds isn't a big deal it's just a little frustrating because I know I didn't eat 7000 calories extra...maybe I had 400 extra calories. It just feels like my water weight is lasting longer than normal and I want to know when I should expect it to go down and tips for getting it down

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Mine can take 10ish days to go away.
  • springerm80
    springerm80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good question I like to know about that myself
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Drop your carbs and salt for a day whilst increasing fluids. That should sort it for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is really a range, not a specific weight for starters.
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Drop your carbs and salt for a day whilst increasing fluids. That should sort it for you.

What are some samples of low carb meals? I feel like carbs are in everything haha
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

What are some samples of low carb meals? I feel like carbs are in everything haha

A pan full of green veggies with chicken, eggs, tuna, salmon etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Last night my wife and I had steak and large portions of sauteed green beans and mushrooms...not much carbs except for what's in the veg.

I had leftover steak today with my lunch and a large salad...pretty low carb.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Really depends on how much sodium/extra food you had. For me personally, if it was just a little overeating it can be 2 to 3 days. If it was a full day or 2 of completely stuffing myself it can take a week for me to get the water weight/food weight off.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 2-3 days to drop the water weight. I normally keep my carbs at 25% of my daily calories. A weekend of higher carbs + higher sodium can put me up 4 pounds from water retention on Monday weigh in. Usually by Wed or Thursday I'm back at my maintenance weight if I eat my norm and drink a bit extra water.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It can be different for everyone, and the circumstances. You already said it's lasted longer than usual for you, so that would be your answer. I've seen responses before that range from 2 days to 3 weeks.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is causing it. Some people take medicine that causes them to retain water for years. But when it is caused by overeating it is probably because the digestive system is overwhelmed. I would think 3 or 4 days at the most. It seems like there is usually a unpleasant experience in the restroom involved.

After some people overeat they choose to skip a meal or two until they experience hunger again. Doing that might reduce the water weight gain and maybe the unpleasant experience as well.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I know there won't be a specific answer to this question

You said it yourself..................

Sometimes it's days, sometimes it's weeks.
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It went back to normal today! :)
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This is sort of dependant on what else you're putting in your body, your current health status and conditions. If your bodies water usage is unmanipulated then it will prioritize your consumption to do what it needs; flush out foreign bodies, maintain hydration, etc. Common ways water weight is lost; Excretion of Foreign Bodies, Objects & Substances, General Urination, Exercise. If water weight needs to be lost in a hurry, usually people throw on their sweat suits, perform HIIT Cardio, etc. Two other ways you release water retention are by using specific Plastic Sweat Suits meant to be worn and used in this specific fashion. Coffee or caffeine, is the second but its result is slight compared to other more successful approaches; excretion can be expected by consuming 1 cup of coffee if your consuming 16-24 or more ounces of water, before or after, and if your body has no higher reason to hold that water.

A common scheme/hoax now is that 'water makes you fat', this is obviously an untrue statement, the inflammatory effect that water has on our bodies comes from our bodies utilizing the water we give it to rehydrate our cells. This is partly why some people who consume a lot of water may look 'heavier' or 'puffier' than the average person, while at the same time feeling better and healthier. Lastly, always make sure you're rehydrating even after losing the water weight for whatever purpose.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It went back to normal today! :)

To answer your original question; about 2 days ;)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's great!
    It usually takes me 2-3 days but sometimes it's 1-2 weeks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    usually for me 4 to 5 days, sometimes it can hang around as much as 10 days.