13»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    tapwaters wrote: »
    I'm much more active and my fundamental underlying habits are changed and are incapable of cropping up on me again.

The notion that bad habits are "incapable of cropping up again" sounds very naive & dangerous to me. :(

No. They're really not here, I mean impossible literally. It is incapable of repetition.

Maybe a situation or condition that gave rise to your bad habits is gone, but life always holds new challenges.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I've lost significant weight a couple of times with Atkins, but the low carb eating wasn't sustainable long term for me. I kept most of it off for a long time by living an active (hiking) lifestyle, but eventually the pounds would creep back either because I became less active for a while or because I allowed the occasional treat to become a daily occurrence. I wasn't tracking and I wasn't weighing myself often, so it was easy to pretend that I wasn't actually gaining much weight.

When my husband retired, we did a lot of travelling, which meant eating out a lot more often, which meant weight gain. After a few years, we settled down again and I lost 50 pounds by becoming more active (running and walking) and doing my own cooking. I kept most of it off for 5 years, but went up and down within about 10 pounds whenever we would go on another long trip. As long as I'm running regularly (5 days a week) and limiting my treats, I am fine. But sometimes that isn't possible.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I say running, but I mostly walked with intermittent sprints.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds counting calories then doing WW. That took nearly 2 years. Then, I went on Medifast and lost 70 pounds in 6 months, for a total loss of 105 pounds. Over the past 3 years, I've gained 30 back.

I think my weight gain came from not knowing how to feel as a thin person, previously having worn a size 24W and getting down to a 6. I felt elated but very uncomfortable at the same time and mentally, it was just easier to go back to the way I was for 30 years.

So, I slipped back into old eating habits (too many carbs, too many calories) and it's been a battle since. The reason I've only gained 30 vs. the entire 105 pounds back is due to constantly thinking about my weight and food. It's not a healthy mental process but to me, it's loads better than gaining it all back. I used to cover my feelings with food CONSTANTLY and now I do that far less but still do it sometimes. It's about progress, not perfection. I'm tons better mentally and physically than I was just 4 years ago when I started losing weight. So, I'm still a little weird about my weight and diet but we all have issues, this is mine.
  • chrismansa
    chrismansa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs and gained it all back plus about 5 lbs. more. January 2016 I was determined to get disciplined -- make myself go to the gym, practiced portion control, and logged all the calories and food I was eating. That's how I lost the weight. But in August 2016 I had an accident and fractured my foot. My primary exercise was walking 3.6 mph with a 13% incline (it kept going up higher as my cardio got better) for an hour every other day. Also I did the couch to 5K program. Finished that and continued with the Bridge to 10K program. I think fracturing my foot really took a toll on me. Not only did I lose motivation, I got depressed over the whole thing. It took until October 2016 when I finally got cleared to exercise. But by then I had no motivation, no control, no care. So I gained all the weight back. I realize, at least for me, I need the control. I need to go to the gym daily, I need to practice portion and food control. It is the control that is the key for me. This time around I started the same goal in January 2017, but I got too aggressive at the gym and re-injured myself. I have a fractured foot again. But I am still maintaining control. I still log everything I eat and I practice portion control. I still go to the gym and I see a trainer who can help me exercise without using my feet (I have to wear a big medical boot for 4 weeks). I am confident that I will lose the weight again (this month (January) I have already lost 22 lbs. and yes I know a lot of it is water weight). But again, I realize as long as I maintain control, I'll be OK.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For me, the following link rings pretty true having lost my weight and more or less maintained that loss for going on 4 years...

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-22368/12-habits-of-people-who-reach-maintain-their-ideal-weight.html

That was a good article. Thanks for posting it.

All of those things are helpful not only at maintenance but also during your weight loss. The only thing I don't adhere to is the meal planning. That's kind of hit or miss depending on if I want to drive to town to buy food or not. I try to plan, but that's where all the other items come into play.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I've yoyo'd for 20 something years. Each time putting on additional pounds than I started with.

My problem was two-fold...

I didn't know about my TDEE - so I never knew how much less to eat after weight loss and I gradually ate like I did when I gained the weight.

AND

I always did overly restrictive "diets" (no sugar, no whites, very low carb, cabbage soup etc) - which is not how I want or normally eat and I would overeat those restricted foods once I hit desired weight.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    An emotional journey, at the end of last year, I had to undergo 6 weeks of radiation therapy for skin cancer...in the middle of that, my husband fell and broke his femur! So there was never any time to plan meals, I was eating fast food or whatever friends provided. Not a great ending to 2016, or a great start to 2017! But it's a new time, and I have a new outlook, so with MFP, which was so successful in the past, I'll reach my goal before the end of 2017! One day at a time!!!

Off topic but I wish you good health for 2017 x
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I got married , changed jobs, moved house, moved the kids school, had to quit my gym and change my routine due to new commitments, oh, and had a miscarraige. The stress and emotional trauma of that over 6 months sent me into food meltdown. Depressing, but back on track now.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot of wisdom in these answers! Thanks for sharing!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    IMO, people regain because they use artificiality (for lack of words on my part) to lose in the first place. The more forced something is, the more work there is. And the less sustainable it is. We all have a breaking point.

To increase your chance of success, make your new, healthy eating habit as natural as possible.

For example I feel very familiar and natural that I fast with certain meals. I feel it's weird -- and my wife feels it's a lot of work -- to make elaborate dinners on Monday, Tues night.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've lost the weight forever this time, because I've learned how to lose it so slowly that I don't have to wait for a window of opportunity to go on a diet.

A big factor in my two most recent regains was digestive issues. Basically I feel better having just starchy carbs and fat when I'm having problems, which throws off my fullness signals, but worse yet, I feel better when I'm very full. Stress was in there too, but even with both of those problems I think I could have really minimized the damage if I'd been willing to aim for a small deficit on my good days (there were lots of them in between bad ones), instead of waiting to launch a full attack.
  • JenniK614
    JenniK614 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tend to get "addicted" to counting calories. I enjoy it like a hobby for a while, and enjoy seeing the weight come off. Once my interest wanes, the weight starts to come back. I have never been able to translate the hobby of counting calories in to an actual lifestyle change.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I reached goal in Jul 2015- 70 lbs lost. Then I went through a very difficult time and despite all the heartache, I kept my weight +/- 5lbs of goal... but when my partner and I got engaged in Mar 2016, I celebrated with cake! Lots of celebration dinners and drinks and cakes. My focus shifted from training and calorie counting to weddings. I moved house twice, with my scales packed away for a couple of months. I ordered my wedding dress too big by mistake, which meant losing weight for the wedding wasn't a pressure. Over all that, I gained 30 lbs back by Dec 2016.

I caught it just before Christmas and have lost about 10 lbs to now and am aiming for another 10, although probably not all before my wedding.

I loved being skinny, but I love all the other things in my life too- working on my relationships, planning my wedding, making a home. Those things took precedence, despite my solemn vow to myself that I would never gain more than 8 lbs above goal. I thought I'd be working out most days for life, but suddenly I had other stuff If rather do instead!

What did I learn (or TL:DR)- I need to pay attention to what I eat, or I will eat more than I need. I need to focus on maintaining a certain level of activity, or I will sit on the sofa. Maybe I need to use MFP forever; maybe I don't. Whatever happens, I know it will take longer than a few months of weight loss and 6 months of maintenance to overrule my innate preference for eating all the snacks in front of the TV and internalise better habits.

I am disappointed I didn't keep the weight off, but even when I was 30 lbs more than goal, I was still 40 lbs less than when I started. And though my 5k is now 4 mins off my best time, it's still 6 mins better than the first time I ever ran 5k in one go.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    JenniK614 wrote: »
    I tend to get "addicted" to counting calories. I enjoy it like a hobby for a while, and enjoy seeing the weight come off. Once my interest wanes, the weight starts to come back. I have never been able to translate the hobby of counting calories in to an actual lifestyle change.

You can develop other interests in the place of meal time. I very much like to go to tennis court during lunchtime than to food court.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I lost a little over 80lbs and maintained for about 3 years. I lost it through simple changes - smaller portions and working out. I didn't count anything and the loss took about a year.

I started gaining back when my life changed. I switched jobs dramatically affecting my activity level and moved in with my boyfriend so we were having larger meals together. I was so busy adapting to my new life I didnt notice at first. One day I went to put on my favorite jeans and they didn't fit so I weighed myself and had gained 30lb. I hadn't weighed myself in months before that day.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs over 2 years. I lost 50 lbs by cutting all processed food (no logging). When my weight loss slowed, I switched to MFP. I lost another 20 lbs. I was feeling good, super active. I thought "I got this". Then vacation, stopped logging that fall, Christmas and sadly the upward trend never stopped. I gained 40 lbs back.

Logging is painful, but, clearly, I am not a good judge of calories in/calories out. I am still quite active (especially in the summer), but not enough to do more than loose the fall/winter weight. So this January I went back to no process food and logging. I will either need to continue to always log or find enough check-ins to keep my on track.

Great threat.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I started taking the pill. It made me *insanely* hungry. My doctor was not receptive to the idea of trying other pills to fix that. I gained 20 pounds.

Then I stopped taking the pill and got pregnant twice in three years.

I have lost all the baby weight and am 5 pounds into that remaining 20 to get back to where I got before.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds slow and steady over 4 years (putting me about 15 pounds away from goal weight). And then February 2016 hit me with 10 months of terrible stuff, not limited to spending over half the year on various steroids and pain killers, going temporarily legally blind, found out my back was super messed up. I was unable to exercise and train like I was used to. Lack of exercise + stress + financial bills + drugs + pain = 30 pounds went back on in 3-4 months. It was heartbreaking and soul crushing. I managed to drop 15 pounds prior to the new year but have now been stuck due to stress at work. I have at least fixed my physical issues and am finally in a training program once again. But it is now time to get my nutrition back under control and drop 30 pounds. Would love to do that by end of year - and drop at least half that in the next few months.