PIGGING OUT IN THE EVENINGS.. Help!

Options
if anyone knows a way to stop being a pig in the evenings, let me know. I eat GREAT all day long and work out every day after work, but then I get home and binge. hardcore. like, what the ****? seriously? how stupid is that? it's like my brain is no longer anywhere NEAR my head, and I just forget about how hard I've worked all day for the pay-off. and then as soon as I'm full (which is generally like 3k calories later), I'm like.. wow, why did I even do that? what is UP, seriously?! I NEED TO BE SLAPPED REPEATEDLY. does anyone else have after work ****-ups? if so, how do I beat the **** out of them? because I am really making myself angry, and no matter how hard I work all day long, all bets are off as soon as I get home from work and the gym and sit down. I mean.. more protein during the day? eat a bunch in the car on the way home? haha, I have no idea. help, help, help!

Replies

• vyvrhovat
    vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    let me also just say that I was down 42lbs, and now I'm only down 31lbs. that is how terrible I am. like 11 pounds and counting in two and a half weeks or so. I need to trick myself out of my insane binge eating! it is destroying all my hard work!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Get the junk out of the house! If its not there, ya can't eat it.

Evenings are the toughest time for me too. I always want to snack and munch while watching tv or reading or using the computer. I am trying my best to be more active in the evenings to counteract the want to snack. I shoot hoops out on the driveway, go for a swim, workout (again for the day). The biggest thing that helped me was to remove the junk food from the house and then replace it with just a few healthy options: light popcorn, dry cereal, almonds, fresh fruit, carrot sticks, etc. Now if I absolutely need a snack I reach for one of these items, but more often than not now I no longer snack after dinner in the evenings.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Make sure your not limiting your calories too much in the mornings, and eating higher protein and carbs. also a afternoon snack high in both is awesome. The evening should be a lighter meal with a light snack later. I eat a banana and a protein shake about 4pm and eat supper at 6pm. At 2pm I will have a apple or carrots. Try drinking alot of water or I like that special K protein water I guzzle that before leaving work so that im not starving when I get home to avoid over eating. Hope this helps :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Since you have more problems at night, I would suggest eating very light during the day and saving more of your calories for at night. Obviously, you can't eat 3k cals at night, but eating a 1000 calorie meal at night is pretty satisfying.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't feel alone. I was going to post a topic for this same reason today. I am thinking that I am not getting enough protein later in the day. I was reading yesterday that a protein boost between 3-4pm is critical to sustaining the rest of the day. I know drinking water and staying full that way sure helps. I am up 7 lbs as of the last 3 weeks or so. It's really frustrating and this morning I even contemplated weight loss surgery - that's how frustrated I am..I am like WTF!
  • teerene
    teerene Posts: 16
    Options
    i HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH EVENING EATING TOO!! THE MORNING ARE FINE LOTS OF WILL POWER BUT IT ALL GOES OUT THE WINDOW WHEN THE SUN STARTS SETTING..
  • Ajessie
    Ajessie Posts: 54
    Options
    if anyone knows a way to stop being a pig in the evenings, let me know. I eat GREAT all day long and work out every day after work, but then I get home and binge. hardcore. like, what the ****? seriously? how stupid is that? it's like my brain is no longer anywhere NEAR my head, and I just forget about how hard I've worked all day for the pay-off. and then as soon as I'm full (which is generally like 3k calories later), I'm like.. wow, why did I even do that? what is UP, seriously?! I NEED TO BE SLAPPED REPEATEDLY. does anyone else have after work ****-ups? if so, how do I beat the **** out of them? because I am really making myself angry, and no matter how hard I work all day long, all bets are off as soon as I get home from work and the gym and sit down. I mean.. more protein during the day? eat a bunch in the car on the way home? haha, I have no idea. help, help, help!

I snack when I get bored... Try multi-tasking, instead of sitting and watching tv, maybe watch tv and work on a project or clean or something.... Also try brushing your teeth. It might just be a weird mental thing that I have going on, but whenever I brush my teeth I dont want to eat anything afterwards.
  • sarahlouisah
    sarahlouisah Posts: 116
    Options
    im the same but lost 33lb now im really good for 3-4 days then go on a food binge bender and wreck it all ive gained 5lb and feel a complete failure. I know im going to regret eating all the bad stuff but dont seem to have any willpower or self control i dont even enjoy it at the time why do we sabatage ourselves like this ???
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    stock salad items that are easy to pick up and eat like cellery and carrots.
    also when you get the urge to pig out try having some water and then cellery.
    apparently and i dont know how true this is, a lot of the time when we feel hungry we are actually thirsty, but the signals are being read wrong.

dont give up. treat yourself but keep it as part of your calorie count
  • krismar27
    krismar27 Posts: 1
    Options
    You could be starving your body during the day to the point where you just binge, or you just can't control yourself around stuff in your house.

1. Start grazing throughout the day. Eat 6 -7 small meals. I am never hungry, and I'm down 60 pounds.
    2. Throw out all the crap in your house! That is always the first thing you must do when switching to a healthier lifestyle. There's no point in torturing yourself.
    3. Drink A LOT of water. Drink a big glass of water before you go into your "binge".
    4. Make sure you eat protein before and after your workout. It might be the leading cause on why you're binging when you get home at night straight after your workout.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    GET THE JUNK OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Its hard but throw it all out....even if its brand new!! Eat a snack before you leave work/in the car and have a dinner with some good fibre to it!

I still love to snack even though I know sometimes its bored eating, so my trick is to have fresh cut up veggies in a container in the fridge with a no fat tzatziki (pm me if you need a good recipe). Last night I wanted chips really bad so i went and got lentil chips, High fibre and low in calories but really tasty! I also made some kale chips! Ridiculously easy and tasty (i know I could hardly believe it either).

I also have single sugar free ice pops in my freezer in case I want a sweet treat!

Hope that helps!!!
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem. I started eating less for brkfast and lunch and saved it for dinner. I have gotten better and now spread my calories throughout. I still keep a snack for after dinner. Several small filling meals will help during the day. Just get focused on what you need to do in the evening and stick with it. Take it day by day. IT WILL GET EASIER! I'm proof :)
  • mlek13
    mlek13 Posts: 44
    Options
    This is my biggest problem, but I am working through it... no one thing works for everyone, but here are a couple tricks that have worked for me.

(1) Remove all junk / tempting items from your house...!
    (2) Try working out in the AM
    (3) Eat 6 small meals spread out over the day / night... I feel like I am always eating and never really get hungry
    (4) WATER - drink a glass before you go for the food, see if you are still hungry in a 1/2 hour
    (5) Eat! If you are really hungry, just busted your butt in a workout, you may need to eat quite a bit, just try and replace the junk with healthy options - I find that carrots and hummus do the trick
    (6) put a sticky note on your fridge / cabinet door with a list of reasons why you don't want to pig out

Hope some of these help! Good luck!
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    I do this myself, get hungry after I eat dinner. I started spending time cutting up things for my salad the the next day or two. and if I get hungry I eat carrots. Or some other low calorie snacks. I even picked up some skinny cow ice cream so that I could stop having the sweet cravings I was having. Now if I have one at least Iwill not be throwing away my whole day because some of thier ice cream is around 100 calories. Good luck with it!!
  • Ang5669
    Ang5669 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of the same behaviour....its weird. I work shift work and it seems no matter what time I have last eaten, as soon as I walk out the door at work, Im starving......and not for good stuff either. One thing I have found that seems to help, if I can get myself to do it, is have a huge mug of flavored green tea. I tell myself that if I still feel the cravings as bad after then I can have something, but honestly it works the majority of the time......anything else that I try to snack on just makes me want to eat more, until like you, I feel disgusting.
  • terrisgoal
    Options
    Instead of snacking after your workouts, try eating a meal at that time like a bowl of cereal or make an egg with a slice of toast. It's not too horribly bad to eat late in the evening, its what you choose to eat that late. For me, after a good workout, I am starving and fruit and veggies sound good but do nothing for me except make me even more hungry. Eat a moderate size meal, shower and slip into bed before your body tells you its hungry again.
    I hope some of the advise helps you. Try each one until you see what works for you. Good Luck!!
  • vyvrhovat
    vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Get the junk out of the house! If its not there, ya can't eat it.

INSANELY untrue. I only ever have healthy food in my house, for that exact reason. But if I want it, I find it. I will literally throw clothes on and drive out to get fast food or go to the 7-11 and get all kinds of terrible ****. Just not having it in the house isn't enough, even though I desperately wish it was. My job is very physical, a lot of running around and standing all day, and then I go to the gym afterward too. So when I get home, I am completely exhausted. I tried to go for walks or make my boyfriend just leave the house with me, but we are always both so tired that it never happens.
  • HighRearGisele
    Options
    I completely agree w/the guy who said to get it out of the house. That's the best trick I can think of. I have the same problem, and when it's out of the house, I may be irritated for a few minutes, angry that I can't get what I want in the moment, but then you find something else, like lemon water, hot decaf tea, or some snack that is not what you want, and it usually goes away. Another option is to try to get to bed. Just go to bed. When you lose control like that, it's because all your strength is down...called "ego strength" in psychology, it's renewable, so you have more control in the a.m., and most people screw up their goals (like tobacco, weight loss, etc.) at night, when the ego strength is low. You could go brush your teeth, watch a bit of tv or read, etc. to wind down, and get a good night's rest. Most people don't get enough rest, anyway, and it's really important that you do while trying to take on these kinds of life changes. Also, you could tell yourself that if you do eat, you have to eat at the table, and turn the tv off. That's not near as much fun as binging while doing something recreational. Congrats on all the weight loss! Don't give up on yourself!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Same probelm I have. When I first started losing weight a couple of years ago I would go to bed VERY EARLY just to get myself away from the food. And, I don't binge on junk - I binge on whatever is in the house - so getting rid of it wasn't an option (kids would complain a lot!!!) I'm a little better now but have to get myself out of the kitchen or I am eating mindlessly.
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but theres a group on here for binge eaters so its a real issue and especially if your hindering your progress maybe you should use the support of the group