Apple Watch Calorie Adjustment Lower than Fitbit HR

I have searched for this question and found several threads where people have asked this question, but none with an adequate response.

The Fitbit HR would add about 200 calories for every 7,000 steps I walk; the Apple Watch adds around 30.

Have I made an error in one of the settings? I didn't change anything on MFP except choose to track steps with the Watch and connected to apple health kit.

I have checked the health kit to make sure it has the correct age, sex, weight, and height. I also gave it a week to "calibrate".

Or is it that Fitbit was overestimating my calorie burn all along? I had been nominally trying to loose about .4 lbs a week, with a goal set at 1200 and eating all exercise calories in an attempt to loose about 4 lbs. I've lost a couple of lbs in 6 months, but I have put on a lot of muscle and haven't been keeping to the calories perfectly.

I suppose it's not really a crisis. If I loose excessive weight with the Apple Watch adjustment, I'll just bump up my MFP calories a bit. Eventually I'll find the right formula.

I do miss seeing all those extra calories building up throughout the day, just waiting to be eaten. :(

Replies

• mariekmorts
    mariekmorts Posts: 4 Member
    Have the same issue. I just changed over the calories I used to earn from doing 10000 steps on Fitbit are way lower with my Apple Watch!
  • loub_81
    loub_81 Posts: 12 Member
    Apple Watch will measure your steps taken like the FitBit. But it will only give you calorie credit when it senses that you are exercising - meaning getting your HR jacked up over a certain amount. So you can walk 7000 steps, but never get your HR elevated enough for the Apple Watch to give you credit. So my belief is that FitBit was overestimating calories burned vastly.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Fitbit gives you total calories burned and this includes calories burned through just being alive.
    You get credit on fitbit for actual minutes and it tells you how many calories that you burn during that activity.
    However, I think that, as with MFP, Fitbit does overestimate the calories burned during the activity, at least for me. I don't eat back all of my calories burned anyway. Fitbit, MFP, and the machine all have different calories burns for me and I average them out.
    Fitbit still is my best motivator to get me to move more.