Lunch Ideas for work

Options
Hello Everyone,
I am having trouble coming up with healthier lunch ideas to bring to work. I recently got a Bento box to help with portion control but you can only eat so much peanut butter and jelly before you get sick of it lol. so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the bento box thread? Lots of great suggestions in there.

Leftovers is always a great option. I also make large batches of soup on the weekend, divide it into individual servings, and freeze. I freeze them in Ziploc bags so they'll thaw more quickly and they're usually thawed enough to pop straight into the microwave come lunch time.

You can also roast a whole chicken on the weekend (or buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store) and portion out the leftovers for chicken salad, chicken tacos, chicken sandwiches, etc.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I generally do leftovers from the previous night's dinner, but in a more calorie-friendly portion size. It doesn't require much thought in the morning when only 2 synapses are firing... and it doesn't usually require much work to prepare when all I have access to is a microwave, toaster oven, and fridge.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maybe not the best for your sodium intake, but I tend to bring a can of soup (usually Progresso or Campbell's - whatever's on sale). I buy in bulk, and keep it in my office drawer. It's saved my life (and probably a few relationships... I get hangry) on more than one occassion.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Do you have restrictions?
    My lunches are mostly leftovers kept in the freezer for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I like to have choices and not eat the same thing a few times in a row. But if hot meals isn't an options try to get creative making sandwich.
    I quite like make chickpea salad (smashed chickpea with very small cubes of veggies like celery, bell pepper, etc, with seasoning, mayo and/or plain yogurt) instead of cold cuts.
    Leftover chicken breast makes a great lunch! Sandwich, salad, plain cold with fun sides like a bean salad, some yogurt dip, cheese, fruits, etc.
    Hard boiled egg is a good protein too! I love making a toast with some smashed Avocado and a sliced hard boiled egg on top.
    Get creative with salads, my favorite is quinoa with greek style topping, feta cheese, cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, dried oregano and a few squeeze of lemon juice. Nowadays it's very easy to find original salad that will make it less boring and that are very filling!
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do meal prep on the weekends. And a major part of that is proteins that I cook (chicken, beef, pork) and then portion and freeze. I can then add to a salad or on a sandwich for my lunches. My favorite is ground turkey with taco seasoning. I put this on salad with salsa and Greek yogurt as a healthy version of a taco salad.
  • DawnUrbanski
    DawnUrbanski Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love Starkist tuna salad pouches and fresh veggies or P3 meals. Easy!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Single serve rice
    Single serve steamed veggies
    Tin of chicken

All acquired in my local grocery store.

Sometimes I change it out and get a single serve soup ... my favourite being LaZuppa's Spiced Red Lentil.

Sometimes I'll use a Mug Shot instead of the rice.

Occasionally I'll go with tuna and crackers.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that brings a big salad for lunch? I add in some low fat cheese and roast or grilled chicken. Add in a homemade vinaigrette dressing.

In the past I would bring leftovers, but the son is now an eating machine, so there's rarely ever leftovers anymore.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Big salads with whatever you want, turkey and veggie wraps (avocado and cheese optional), Tuna with Hot sauce mixed with 1/2 a rice pouch, leftovers, frozen bag of soup. All good options.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I bring shrimp cocktail a couple of times a week. I just portion out frozen cooked shrimp the night before, leave it in the fridge at work and it's defrosted by lunchtime. I also make my own cocktail sauce with reduced sugar ketchup. It's easy, high protein/low carb and my coworkers think I'm fancy. B)

Tuna pouches are great, as are deli meat/string cheese rollups. Today, though, I have taco salad on the menu, which is last night's leftovers.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't bring a set lunch. I bring little snacks for all day. Boiled eggs, baby carrots, olives, grapefruit, an orange, an apple, almonds....
    And I keep a protein shake and shaker in my desk just in case :)
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have done salads with egg or chicken, tuna salad and celery, rotisserie chicken with vegetables or soup. I can't stand eating the same thing week after week so I get a lot of ideas from Pinterest.
  • JerrysGirl2015
    JerrysGirl2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check out you tube. Mind over munch just did a 30 day series with a new bento box lunch each day of january. Simple, delicious and healthy recipes. Greatest part of all is that each meal is balanced with a main dish, a veggies, fruit, grain and either a snack/sweet. I got some great ideas on there. Good luck.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    A couple of vodka martinis sounds good for work.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My lunch this week had been, green salad with 2 ounces of lunch meat, yogurt dressing, bell peppers with hummus, and a low carb yogurt. About 300 calories and pretty filling. Though I have planned mid morning and mid afternoon snacks so the smaller lunch works for me. My diary is public if you care to peruse.