Supermarket Frustration

Options
Just had a walk around a small Sainsbury supermarket. I am on low carb and wanted something snackish for the train home. Walked up and down the aisles reading sugar and carb levels. Ended up walking out with nothing. Not good for the morale

Replies

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What about jerky/biltong?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to get familiar with what you can grab in a hurry, but I now know I can head to the jerky, cheese, or fruit in just about any convenience store and get something off the shelf that won't kill my eating plan
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    String cheese? Deli meat? Beef jerky? Pork rinds?
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No "health food" section? Or Deli? Usually a supermarket will have some low carb bars hidden away near the protein powder. If not, that's pretty sad =(. I sometimes go buy some meat from the deli, even cheese, which stops sweet cravings for me. Mmmmm shredded beef and if they sell small tubs of full fat greek yogurt, I'll dive into that but lately so many have been selling the low fat garbage. Yuck.

Oh yeah and sometimes I'll indulge on some pork crackle or beef jerky =D

Hopefully that gives you some ideas on what to look at for next time.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Too late now I know but if you go again.
    I find these pretty good, from Sainsburys - Taste Original Mini Chicken Satay x12. 10 mini sticks have 4.4g of carbs. They're fairly filling for their size.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Pepperami? Plus they might have Atkins bars/snacks too.
  • cgstitch
    cgstitch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you made a great choice!!! It may not have felt too good at the time, but you made a choice for health! You are better off not snacking anyway, and keeping your appetite until you can get a proper meal! Well done!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    no lunch meat?
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    "Full Fat Cubed Cheese, Pork Rinds, Jerky(Plain, Minimal Additives, No Flavoring), Nuts & Seeds, Veggies & Dips(Primarily Veggie Dip Packs in this specific case), Sugar-Free Jello."
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Cooked meats, including chicken and satay sticks and Pepperami in the fridge. Snack cheeses also in the fridge.

In the health/pharmacy area you might find Atkins bars, there are certainly protein products.

Biltong/jerky/scratchings.

There are plenty of options I can come up with and I'm not even low carb.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nuts? Meat? Cheese?
    All those things are available in snack portions.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For a low carb snack, I'd think meat and/or cheese. So an ounce of cheese, some sliced turkey or ham. Here in the US I can find packs that have a little cheese, nuts and dried fruit. Small amounts of each, for about 170-210 cals total.
    Just had a walk around a small Sainsbury supermarket. I am on low carb and wanted something snackish for the train home. Walked up and down the aisles reading sugar and carb levels. Ended up walking out with nothing. Not good for the morale

• LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Low carb on the go can be tricky - ready cooked sliced meats are a good choice, as are individual cheeses (babybel etc), the packs of nuts are a good option too (as long as you can portion control if you end up buying the 100g bags!). Co-Op do a boiled egg with mustard mayo snack pack as well as a pack of carrots and houmous which are my go to options on the way into work.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Cooked meats, including chicken and satay sticks and Pepperami in the fridge. Snack cheeses also in the fridge.

In the health/pharmacy area you might find Atkins bars, there are certainly protein products.

Biltong/jerky/scratchings.

There are plenty of options I can come up with and I'm not even low carb.

Scratchings!?!

I love this site! seriously, am really loving new mindset towards 'bad' foods and haven't even thought about scratchings for months cos they are 'sooooooooooo bad'

and now I'm telling myself - no, they are only so bad when you eat a kilo of them in an hour!

sorry, minor hijack- but yay scratchings are back on the menu!!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Scratching would just be pork rinds, right? Those are so dang good.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    ^ yep, the salty, yummy, crackly goodness!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Here's some ideas...

http://fedandfit.com/2013/04/15/paleo-off-the-shelf-kimberly-dunn/ (the eye candy on this site is not bad either!)

http://paleomagazine.com/list-of-the-best-paleo-snacks (just be aware that 'Paleo' may allow sweeteners that you don't want, like honey or maple syrup)

Nuts
    Jerky
    Epic bars
    Berries
    Frankfurters (if you can find decent ones without a lot of crap in them, and you have access to a microwave)
    Cut veggies
    Dark chocolate (>70% cacao)
    Eggs

My advice is to shop the store perimeter...produce, then seafood, then meat, then dairy (if using milk products), then 'specialty' or 'prepared foods' or deli, then get out!

I live in NYC, so really there is hardly a neighborhood where I can't find something to nosh, whether in a supermarket, a convenience store, a bodega, an ethnic specialty shop, a restaurant...never at a loss for something to eat!

Good luck! Accept my FR if you like...