Best Milk Substitute for TEA?

Options
I drink so much tea. I just love a standard mug of 'builders tea' with no sugar but I've found I'm adding almost 200 calories in milk every day. I would also like to cut down on my dairy intake so anyone have any suggestions for a milk that is neutral enough and not sweet?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk (either vanilla or plain), perhaps?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I add unflavored whey isolate to my coffee and it gives a milk like texture. Not sure if it would work with tea...
  • blondecitygurl
    blondecitygurl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy ohsykxynxyam.jpg

I really enjoy this or the almond hazelnut flavour for my coffees. Hope this would be a good substitute for tea as well!

Cheers!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond or coconut milks are my favorites. They only have 25-30 calories a cup, but you also don't get nearly as much protein as milk if that is something that is important to you.

Watch the calories on those almond or coconut creamers- most of them have as many calories as regular creamers and way more calories than regular milk.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Tea is such a tricky one! I found giving up milk in my tea difficult and swapped over to herbal teas. After a while ordinary tea didn't seem that bad. But a habit was broken and I now find myself drinking more sparkling water than tea!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love my tea and milk. Could use all my calories here. I've just added more herbal teas to cut back. I really could not imagine using something like almond milk, it would just totally change the taste. Would love a solution that allows me to drink more black tea though, with milk.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go through 550ml of milk a day in my cups of tea. I cut down on the calories by making up a measuring cup in the morning of 200ml unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 350ml cows milk. I don't want to cut down too much on the regular milk, as it gives me 21g of Protein and 12g of fat which goes a long way in keeping me full, as it's all i have til lunchtime.
  • slinkyreptile
    slinkyreptile Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of tea as well, so I use unsweetened almond milk which is 13 kcals for each cup of tea except when I'm at work and I only have access to normal milk. It takes a while of getting used to initially but like everything else once you make it a habit you don't think nothing of it
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    300mls of skimmed milk is 105 cals. Not sure what milk you already use or how much of it?
  • annabee88
    annabee88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It seems I'm not the only tea addict here! Thanks for all the suggestions! I currently use 100ml semi skimmed milk per cup and have about 4 big mugs a day. I'm thinking I'm gonna try half almond / half dairy milk so as not to change the flavour / consistency too much .. Will let you know how I get on!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    annabee88 wrote: »
    It seems I'm not the only tea addict here! Thanks for all the suggestions! I currently use 100ml semi skimmed milk per cup and have about 4 big mugs a day. I'm thinking I'm gonna try half almond / half dairy milk so as not to change the flavour / consistency too much .. Will let you know how I get on!

I used to to drink skim milk, and i had to add double the amount than i do of full cream milk. Skim milk = dishwater blah tea.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I used to to drink skim milk, and i had to add double the amount than i do of full cream milk. Skim milk = dishwater blah tea.

I couldn't agree more. I would prefer a full fat milk, but use the 2% to save on calories. If I used skim, well then I might as well just not use milk at all.
  • cowgrl08642
    cowgrl08642 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ripple Milk (made from yellow peas) is amazing - its available at Whole Foods, Target, and Sprouts (here in CO). Super creamy and delicious! I have never liked cow milk so I can't say how it compares... but it is more rich than Almond Milk (another favorite).
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Let me know if you find anything. I've tried them all and they make my tea taste "off." I used 1% milk in my tea. I usually brew about a 16oz mug and then use 1/8th cup milk in that (not enough but it will do). I've just faced the fact that tea is my one pleasure in life and it's one that no amount of adjusting helps, so I just factor everything in my calorie count.
  • Haniejane89
    Haniejane89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and find cashew milk best for tea x
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

You must like your tea really milky because that's quite a lot! Maybe cut down on the amount of milk you use rather than substituting it? You could probably use half that amount and not notice a difference in taste.
  • annabee88
    annabee88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like my tea strong but milky! I drink HUGE mugs of it! Made it with half semi skimmed milk, half unsweetened almond milk and it was pretty good!
  • jraper78
    jraper78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I drink flaxseed milk. It has no sugar, no fat, no cholesterol, and like 80mg of sodium. It also has 1200 mg Omega-3's. Great stuff. Look up the brand called, Good Karma. It's the brand I buy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jraper78 wrote: »
    I drink flaxseed milk. It has no sugar, no fat, no cholesterol, and like 80mg of sodium. It also has 1200 mg Omega-3's. Great stuff. Look up the brand called, Good Karma. It's the brand I buy.

Omega 3s *are* fat.

If you mean this milk, it actually has 2.5 grams of fat per serving. http://goodkarmafoods.com/product/unsweetened-flaxmilk/