Exercising in the Heat?

Options
Hey! I was just wondering what every one does when it's wicked hot outside. I am not in a place where I can do a work out video inside right now and it's 93 degrees outside with high humidity :-( Any suggestions would be awesome!

Replies

• ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I actually ran yesterday in 96 degrees and humid. I just made sure to hydrate a lot throughout the day. Once you start sweating you forget about how hot it is. :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i use to run bleachers in the middle of the afternoon with a heat index of 100+ im a little bit older and out of shape now so if i tried now id probably pass out lol. take it easy, maybe just go for a brisk walk and take in lots of fluids!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've been running in the morning since it's been in the 90s for a while now and I can't stand it!!
  • knight_alex
    Options
    I wait until it is slightly cooler outside - say 8pm-ish - and then I go outside. My husband and I went for a 90 min walk last night. Still really sweaty of course, but it helped not to have the sun beating down on us. Just try not to go outside too late alone.
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You can go to a mall and just power walk there for a while. I just did strength training in the house with a fan pointed right at me. We have a heat index of 105 today (in Michigan, that's just not right), so I know where you're coming from.

Why do you say that you're not at a point where you can do videos, though?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    When I lived in idaho with really hot temperatures, I would run my shirt under water, and wear it wet when I ran, it kept me cool. I also made sure to drink lots of water so that you don't get dehydrated.
  • bostonbound85
    bostonbound85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I live in Vegas so I understand your issue! I TRY to wake up early and go running, if not, I opt for going to the gym later after work. I don't know if those are options for you or not. Hope it helps!
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I HATE running in the heat, and the heat index where I am is like 103 degrees right now. The humidity kills my lungs faster than freezing temps. I have to change my schedule and get up super early in the morning to run, which takes some getting used to, but it's better than the alternative.
  • ceciliaburts
    Options
    Hello, My name is Cecilia and I go walk in the mall when its to hot. I am not sure if you can get to one but thats just an idea. :smile:
  • terrisgoal
    Options
    Are you able to work out or take a walk in the mornings before the heat sets in or late in the evening after the sun goes down some? The heat can be your friend. Yes it is hot but with heat comes sweat which helps flush you out and helps detox you. Don't let the heat and sweat bother your. Don't wipe the sweat either, let it pour down. Sweat is the bodies way of keeping you cool.
    Do you have a small enough space inside to do Yoga? There are basic moves that don't take up a lot of space and you feel all over body better after. Good Luck.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My trainer just sent this out to all of her clients. If the heat index is over 105, we cancel boot camp, and all of us train indoors.

This summer has been a scorcher so far! But don't let that keep you inside watching reruns of Gilligan's Island - just be smart about getting out in the heat. Here are some pointers to keep yourself at your best:

With the high temperatures, your body tends to lose water and sodium in form of sweat. Hence, it is important for you to drink plenty of water. Make sure that you keep a bottle of water with you always, be it your work station, kitchen or car.

Include fruits and vegetables rich in water content like melons, oranges, lettuce, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions in your summer diet. These veggies and fruits will hydrate your body as well as drop your body temperature.

Avoid fast and junk foods as they are fat laden. The greasy and fried foods have a heated thermal effect on your body and make you feel sluggish.

It is advisable to avoid carbonated, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. They contain preservatives which add to your water loss through urine
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You can go to a mall and just power walk there for a while. I just did strength training in the house with a fan pointed right at me. We have a heat index of 105 today (in Michigan, that's just not right), so I know where you're coming from.

I also live in Michigan. I get up around 6 a.m. before work and take a nice long bike ride. It was sticky out this morning but not to bad because the sun was not up above yet!

I'd go to a shopping center and do a nice long hard walk.
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I usually wait til the sun starts to go down & it's a bit cooler.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I live in VA and I'm staying with my parents for another month. They have so much crap in the house I'm lucky I can get to my bed lol. Back in VA I was doing Jillian Michaels 30DS (which I finished before I came to NY) and 6week6pack. I LOVED those!!!
  • nastytater
    nastytater Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We are running about the same temp here in georgia also with a high humidity...Usually,I'll try to get outside sooner,and I also found a park that has a trail that runs through the woods(Shade)...Makes things alot easier while I'm riding my bike...There's one lady that visits the park I ride at that just sticks to the trail that's in the shade..
    Just for some exercise,My dad walks up and down our driveway...We measured it off,and a full trip up to the road and back down to the house,is 100 yards.Doing that 17 times is almost equal to 1 mile...But it's all shade and Dad has been doing it now for almost a year since his Quad Bypass heart surgery...Even when it's hot...I guess if things get too bad at the park,I'll try to stick closer to the house and maybe even ride up and down the driveway...
  • ladyluck4210
    Options

I live in VA and I'm staying with my parents for another month. They have so much crap in the house I'm lucky I can get to my bed lol. Back in VA I was doing Jillian Michaels 30DS (which I finished before I came to NY) and 6week6pack. I LOVED those!!!

My parents live in NY
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The last couple of weeks I have just been pushing through the heat. I am in mid-Missouri. Humidity is ridiculous. I run at 4pm after work. Its been in the mid-90's to over 100. The key is to stay hydrated! I bring a bunch of water with me. I enjoy the extra sweat but the humidity makes it tough to breathe! Yuck! And your mouth can get so dry it starts to foam up! haha Need that water!!! My speed is slower but I just push on through. I was in Las Vegas on a business trip 2 weeks ago and it was 105, but felt like 80 compared to home in Missouri. The added humidity is really what makes a hot day hot, when ya can't breathe outdoors comfortably and you sweat buckets just walking to the car.

Suggestions to avoid exercising in the heat:
    - Walk or run early in the morning or late in the evening
    - Walk at the mall indoors
    - Get a couple of exercise dvds (like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or similar) They are really cheap, $6 on Amazon and you can get your exercise done in the comfort of your living room.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I live in Southeast Texas, so it gets in the high 90's over here. The more you walk or jog in the heat, the more your body gets adjusted to it. I have always hated the heat, but now I'm cold all the time! It sux but good too!
  • ladyluck4210
    Options
    We are running about the same temp here in georgia also with a high humidity...Usually,I'll try to get outside sooner,and I also found a park that has a trail that runs through the woods(Shade)...Makes things alot easier while I'm riding my bike...There's one lady that visits the park I ride at that just sticks to the trail that's in the shade..
    Just for some exercise,My dad walks up and down our driveway...We measured it off,and a full trip up to the road and back down to the house,is 100 yards.Doing that 17 times is almost equal to 1 mile...But it's all shade and Dad has been doing it now for almost a year since his Quad Bypass heart surgery...Even when it's hot...I guess if things get too bad at the park,I'll try to stick closer to the house and maybe even ride up and down the driveway...

I try to go walking/jogging in the morning if I can help it, but Monday's Tuesdays and Thursdays I have an 8am class. I have to get up at 5:30am just to be ready by 7 so I can drive to school. I don't think I could get up much earlier on those days! lol