Food ideas when working up to 14 hrs a day, 7 days a week

Options
beccalucy
beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
I'm really struggling at the moment to think of ideas of food to take when working such long hrs (between 2 jobs) everyday. This is leading to me not eating all day and snacking on rubbish at night. Using MFP app on my phone is sorta helping but it's resulting in me just not eating. Does anyone have any ideas of food I can easily take with me without needing a fridge?

Replies

• karikariboberry
    karikariboberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    almonds and apples!
    hummus and pita
    carrots always take the edge off
    drink water all day long
    crackers with peanut butter
    pb&j sandwich
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    fruits
    carrot sticks
    celery sticks
    protein bars
    nuts (raw)
    trail mix
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, fruit and veggies are all good. FYI Look for lower sodium lunch meat!!!

If you can do a little cooler then you can keep it cold and add greek yogurt, cottage cheese.

Almonds are great too and can be room temp.

Pure Portein bars also great!

Best of luck!
  • mitymex
    mitymex Posts: 10
    Options
    I would take some fruit to work, such as apples, banana's, oranges or grapes, easy to grab on the way out and not only good for you but low cal. Maybe even some Emerald Almond packages that 100 calories...
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fruit, could you take a small lunch cooler? If so you could do yogurt, string cheese, turkey etc. Tuna is good and the little lunch packs are not too bad calorie wise and do not need to be refridgerated.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem cause i go to work then bartend straight through the night so i'm on 16 hours and its hard...I usually bring a ton of raw veggies with me -=- they fill me up and aren't too high caloried
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation with being gone from 7:45 am until 11:30 pm M-F so I know how you feel. I pack my food eeryday! This includes my breakfast (orange and raw almonds) on the way to work, my lunch which could be a fat free turkey frank on a roll with webers mustard and banana peppers or a wrap (lettuce, tomatoes, oscar mayer low fat barbecued chicken slices, fat free cheese and banana peppers with webers mustard or light miracle whip). I put my snacks in zip loc baggies and rely on carrot sticks, raw almonds, fat free pretzels or special k chips. When the food is gone I am done for the day. I do not allow myself to buy food out or use a vending machine. It's whats packed or nothing at all.

Good luck!
  • knight_alex
    Options
    Deffo fruit. I bring Mangos, bananas, cherries, papaya. GOOD tasting fruit so you will want to eat it.
    Special K bars (yummy)
    Coco Almonds - can find at Wal-Mart. Lower Cal than any other flavor!
    Cheese strings
    Drink tea or coffee (takes the edge off)
    Pre packaged Tofu snacks
    Pre packaged Tuna and crackers

All delicious!!!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    raw almonds
    bell pepper or other fav. veggie with cottage cheese
    ham or turkey rollups with mustard or a little onion dip to hold it together
    V8 juice

Some of these are high in sodium so drink your water.

I agree tuna lunch packs re great.

for quick meals make whole wheat bagel pizzas with a little sauce , mozz cheese and veggies make 4 at time and put in teh fridge they microwave really well.

Grill chicken for salads, sandwichs or stir frys. Stir frys are great for qucik low cal meals and there are so many varities of stir fry veggie in teh freezer that already have sauces.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I find that prepping my food when I bring it home from the grocery store helps tremendously. I wash all of my fruits and veggies, and slice or dice most of them as well.. And I even wash my lettuce and put it in a zip-lock bag with a piece of damp paper towel. It keeps it from wilting and turning brown.

By doing this prep in advance, I find making a salad to go is so much easier. Sandwiches are too. If you can bring a small cooler or insulated lunch bag, you can keep these items cool until you have time to eat.

Michelle
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    fitnhealthyccthatsme Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    @beccalucy - do you have the option to take a cooler with a small ice pack inside? This will help with your options.

@missbp - thanks for sharing the tip about prepping fruits & veggies
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas, cooler is difficult as space is really, really limited in the van however may look around anyway. I try not to eat bread which makes sandwiches difficult though I've had another think (and I finished work early today =D)