can you help me choose the best one

Options
I am looking for a protein powder that I can drink in the mornings while im at work. being a single mom and always in a rush in the mornings I don't always have time to make breakfast. luckily the kids get a pretty good breakfast at school so they always eat but me...im either not eating at all or eating crap breakfast like chick fila, Panera or subway. I also eat the oatmeal that comes in the packs but I feel as though if I have a protein drink in the morning with some fruit it would fill me up until lunch time so any suggestions I would appreciate it. I am looking to buy this today. thanks

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    They all pretty much work the same. You have to find the one you like and tastes good to you. No point in having something that tastes horrible. Also nothing wrong with eating breakfast at those places you mentioned, they are not "crap", they are calories. You count them and fit them in. All of those places have lower calorie choices if that is what you want.
    I personally couldn't drink my breakfast and expect any sort of satiety. I would be gnawing my arm by 10AM. I need my food.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I typically order mine on Amazon in 5lb tubs, Optimum Nutrition. However, the local Wal-Mart carries several brands, and Sam's Club has a few more. I tend to buy Whey Isolate because it has almost no lactose and won't cause problems if you are lactose intolerant. Be wary of brands that don't list their ingredients in full on the label. Some will say "proprietary blend" or may contain other stuff like creatine, etc. Stay away from those. Just look for the protein levels. You should be getting between 22g to 24g protein per scoop. Most of the ones that I've found that say 30g/scoop are spiking their protein with other stuff. As far as flavors, I like the chocolate or vanilla. Anything strawberry always tasted too artificial for me. Grab a shaker bottle while you buy the protein, some of it is hard to mix with a spoon and will make a mess.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    lol sorry about calling those places crappy because they aren't but I should have said I order the crappy foods from there. this morning I had a bacon egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel from Panera and the sodium blew my mind. yea I could have opted to not get it with the bagel and not have cheese but I like all that stuff so yea my bad but I would like a protein shake for the mornings along with some fruit. I have a desk job so I really need to cut calories. I don't move around at all
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    lol sorry about calling those places crappy because they aren't but I should have said I order the crappy foods from there. this morning I had a bacon egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel from Panera and the sodium blew my mind. yea I could have opted to not get it with the bagel and not have cheese but I like all that stuff so yea my bad but I would like a protein shake for the mornings along with some fruit. I have a desk job so I really need to cut calories. I don't move around at all

Nothing wrong with fitting that in your day every now and again.
  • tevva
    tevva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use fitmiss powder they have some great flavors and have been working well for me for a while now. My personal favorites are banana cream, vanilla Chai and cookies & cream. I always put the banana cream into my fruit smoothies in the morning because it doesn't change the flavor too much and gives a nice sweetness to them. I get them off amazon or gnc usually carries a few flavors.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Alternate option: Overnight oats? You can make it in a jar the night before and take it to work with you. Faster than stopping for fast food. This is how I make it:

1c milk
    1/2c rolled/old fashioned oats
    1/4c blueberries
    1/2 tsp Truvia
    Dash of salt

The night before: Dump it in a 1 pint mason jar with lid, and stash in the fridge. Put 1 tbsp of sliced almonds in a baggie.

Grab it on the way to work, with a spoon, toss in the almonds, and eat. You can make a couple at time and eat it over two days.

My daughter likes hers with a little extra sweetness and some vanilla.

Just a thought. :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like the Kaizen chocolate I get at Costco. 35g protein for 150 calories means all but 10 cals from protein. Took a bit for me to get past the taste of the Stevia, but I'm fine with it. I'll often toss it in the blender with a banana.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have started to opt for protein powders that actually have a slightly higher carb count. They just taste better to me than those with 1-2 carbs per serving. I also mix with milk when I can for optimal milkshakey taste.

BSN Syntha-6 in any chocolate flavor is a favorite. Macros are around 6F/15C/22P per serving. (Going to turn a lot of people off with those macros, but holy smokes it's good. I can spare a few calories for good taste.)

MTS Nutrition Machine Whey is another favorite. I just finished up a 5 lb tub of cookies and cream and have never been so sad to be finished with a tub of whey. That one runs about 3.5F/6C/25P per serving.

Sorry to the fans, but Optimum Nutrition is like cocoa mixed with water to me after having these other brands. I just can't get down with it. :/
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

That's nothing.. I went to Subway last night, was hungry as hell and had a light lunch and tons of calories left for the day and was short on protein. So I ordered a 12" steak and cheese on wheat.. with bacon and pepperoni. When I got home and looked it up, the sodium on it was OVER 3k! I peeled off the bacon and pepperoni and ate it. I think all fast food restaurants keep their food preserved in tons of sodium so it lasts longer. Craziness.
  • porkchopss
    porkchopss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a good protein powder, but I love the ready drinks. My favorite is the lean body labrada shakes. All the flavors are good. You don't have any mixing hassles, just open and drink. I get mine from krogers. Hope that's helpful!
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use bodylogix. It has minimal ingredients, is very affordable. I get it on Amazon. Quest powder is good too with lots of flavor varieties.
  • chase8oliver
    chase8oliver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Quattro Protein Whey. It's lower in carbohydrates and sodium. Tastes good too! (Just remember whey blends aren't exactly chocolate milk or a smoothie. Lol.) Your best bet is to buy it online. I'm sure it's at bigger supplement stores, but online shopping makes life easier. Just my two cents! = )
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you eat at Chick Fila, get the egg white grill. It's only 300 calories and full of protein. I eat that probably 3 times a week!!!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do a protein shake and fruit, I'd recommend adding the fruit to your shake along with some greek yoghurt. I also make mine with almond milk so it's a bit more milkshakey but at the expense of very few calories (I use regular milk for everything else). I find a thick protein packed smoothie more filling than a protein shake on its own. Throw in a piece of cheese/cheesestring and it can actually keep me going for quite a while but this isn't true for everyone. It's also not often I do this, I only have a couple of small bags of protein powder as it takes me an age to get through it.

I'm in the UK so recommendations for brands is pointless.
  • prettigirl01
    Options
    If you eat at Chick Fila, get the egg white grill. It's only 300 calories and full of protein. I eat that probably 3 times a week!!!

you know I tried this once before and it was horrible. the English muffin was hard and dry so its definitely a better option but I didn't care for it

• prettigirl01
    Options
    tevva wrote: »
    I use fitmiss powder they have some great flavors and have been working well for me for a while now. My personal favorites are banana cream, vanilla Chai and cookies & cream. I always put the banana cream into my fruit smoothies in the morning because it doesn't change the flavor too much and gives a nice sweetness to them. I get them off amazon or gnc usually carries a few flavors.

I purchased this last night. got the chocolate one and had it for breakfast this morning with a banana. its really good but I need to incorporate more into it or have something extra on the side as I feel that alone does nothing to get me satisfied until lunch time but this is all trial and error

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have started to opt for protein powders that actually have a slightly higher carb count. They just taste better to me than those with 1-2 carbs per serving. I also mix with milk when I can for optimal milkshakey taste.

BSN Syntha-6 in any chocolate flavor is a favorite. Macros are around 6F/15C/22P per serving. (Going to turn a lot of people off with those macros, but holy smokes it's good. I can spare a few calories for good taste.)

MTS Nutrition Machine Whey is another favorite. I just finished up a 5 lb tub of cookies and cream and have never been so sad to be finished with a tub of whey. That one runs about 3.5F/6C/25P per serving.

Sorry to the fans, but Optimum Nutrition is like cocoa mixed with water to me after having these other brands. I just can't get down with it. :/

Mmmmm... I second the Syntha-6 Chocolate! I love this one! I also would rather spare some calories in order for it to really taste amazing!

I am a single mom of 3 kids and I get the rushed morning!!! I don't know what I would do without my protein shakes!! I realize a lot of people would rather chew their calories, but you gotta do what works for you! And for me, having a great tasting protein mixed with almond milk in the morning is like a great chocolate treat for me!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I love the Isagenix protein powder. It is tastes great and has 24g of high quality protein in their regular powder and 36g of protein if you purchase the isapro. What I love is you mix it with water and don't have to add anything to them, because they taste so good on their own. Their bars are great as well with 18g of protein.

Lots of good suggestions on here. Good luck!