Healthy nibbly snack ideas...

Options
I like to nibble on bits when I'm bored or a bit hungry so I'm looking for healthy food ideas. It must be something I can pick at , taste good and of course low calorie. I'm not afraid to make or bake but the snack must be several portions and have a good few days shelf life. As an example a bar of chocolate would fit the bill if it was not so unhealthy lol, it tastes good and comes in lots of little squares and keeps for days :D
I'm currently doing strength training and not sure if proteiny snacks would be a good idea but if you think so then please post below!
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on pickles and olives. Low calorie, but high in sodium if that's something you need to be mindful of for a medical reason.

And there's nothing wrong with chocolate if you're able to fit it in your calories. It's not "unhealthy".
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Grape tomatoes, cucumbers, celery stalks. I love their natural flavors but you can dip them in salsa if they're too bland for you.
  • Ejm189x
    Ejm189x Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies...the chocolate fits in with my calories I just feel like I'm being naughty lol...olives are a good shout I love olives!
    Cloverdaisy they're all good suggestions too actually...I haven't had celery for years as I wasn't keen unless it was plastered in a tonne of cheese but my baby has just started weaning and I did him some celery sticks and had one for myself and realllllly enjoyed it, just plain! Goes to show your tastebuds really do change!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Dip veggies in hummus. I also love nuts and seeds, granola(homemade or watch for ones with too much added sugar) string cheese, Larabars. A little more expensive but for easy snacks on the go that are portion controlled you can try Graze for snack delivery. There is usually a deal for new users so might be worth at least trying them out.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    When I'm home for the day with potential grazing, I will make a snack platter. Thinly sliced apples, veggies that I like (celery, cucumber) and some light salami and cheese. I can make it last all day with only about 200 calories spent.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For crunch, we discovered Wasabi Peas, baked peas, and corn nuts.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    blueberries. popcorn. carrot/celery and hummus dip. apples. laughing cow cheese/crackers.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    veggies dipped in hummus, or for even lower calories I use cottage cheese or salsa.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For what you're looking for, popcorn sounds like it might work. Baby carrots, cut up celery, cucumber slices... most veggies really. Grapes, apples. This may be weird, but I also like frozen peas!

I don't know how well this might work for you, but I really enjoy cashews. If I weigh out a portion or half a portion (28g for 170cal, 14g for 85 cal) and take my time and savor them, that's a great and kind of indulgent-feeling snack I like.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    I'm quite fond of bombay mix or wasabi cracker mix, pre-portioned into 25g tupperware boxes.
  • rainbowyeager
    rainbowyeager Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like the complete protein cookies by Lenny and Larry. They are big and chewy so I can tear of a little piece at a time and nom nom nom while watching a fave tv show. When I have extra calories and can get away with it I like to add a scoop of Halo ice cream and make a sandwich out of it. One cookie really is enough though and most flavors are around 180 calories with 8 grams of protein.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I snack on almonds, prunes, grapes, apples, peanut butter on apples, toast or crackers, popcorn, raw veggies, cheese sticks, yogurt.
  • Ejm189x
    Ejm189x Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow so many great ideas here thank you! And some new things for me to try to. Id forgotten things like cottage cheese!

Is bombay mix quite healthy then? Its something I love but assumed it was unhealthy lol

Cashews are really yummy but I have to watch them as I could nail a whole big bag far too quickly :-o

I think a good suggestion above is pre preparing ahead as somethings (nuts ahem) I could eat too easily and rack up calories in no time :)
    Want to try those cookies too!
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I make apple "fries" out of a granny smith apple and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar. Visually it looks like a lot of food and they take a while to eat. Bonus that it tastes a bit like cold apple pie which is one of my favorite ways to eat apple pie... I think this is going to be my after dinner snack tonight!