Relentless shin splints

Options
I get shin splints more often than not and I'm at a loss to prevent them! I went to a running store and got shoes based off my foot and pronation. I'm not doing any more than a mile at a time. I'm trying to run 3 times a week but sometimes one run gives me shin splints and I have to stop training. I'm doing 1min walk/jog intervals no faster than a 9ish min pace. So I doubt I'm doing too much too fast. I also think I'm mostly a mid foot striker.

I just want to train regularly and become a strong runner but these relentless shin splints are really killing my goals. I can't get good at running without running regularly, but I can't run regularly if one run gives me shin splints. It's been a vicious cycle for months! I ordered some compression sleeves and they're my last hope. I'll update when I get them but in the mean time, does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• FFeric
    FFeric Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    http://www.active.com/running/articles/shin-splints-here-s-10-tips-for-staying-pain-free

I found the best cure for mine was to stop running altogether and walk on an incline on the treadmill. Then as i felt better I would start doing 10 minute intervals on the treadmill...1 minute walk, 9 minute run for an hour. The next month I went to 2 minute run and 8 minute walk. Every month I bumped up the run by a minute as long as I was pain free. If you have access to diving gloves or booties you can cut them so that they cover your toes and then soak your feet in ice water after your workouts. 5 gallon buckets work awesome because they go right up your calves. And the calf raises and tracing the alphabet are good ways to build up your lower leg muscles.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Shin splints occur because you're body is adjusting to the new sudden pounding it's taking. You're right, it is a vicious circle, you need to run in order to get used to it, but you need to stop running to recover! When you go out and run, run really slowly, slower than you would normally, and don't go too far to start with. When you get back from your run, really stretch out your calf muscles, I find that helps massively. Heel drop stretches on the edge of a step especially help.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You are working too hard for what your body is accustomed to doing. Slow down and shorten the run portions of your workout. I had them so bad that I stopped running completely and switched over to indoor workout videos. I found that doing T25 has built up the muscle in my shin so when I run now, I don't get shin splints. Granted, I'm only running like 1 time a week and I'm a slow runner, but even this would have caused shin splints in the past.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds like exactly what I went through with shin splints. I tried everything that was recommended but nothing helped and I just knew that there had to be a way that I could run without pain. Finally out of desperation I tried barefoot running (there's a lot of info online) and I have been running 600+ miles/year for the past 3 years pain-free! I realize it might not be for everyone but it works for me. You could maybe try looking up Chi running or the Pose method to improve your form since good form is the number 1 thing you can do to prevent injuries. Perhaps try zero-drop shoes so that they interfere less with your form, and C25K program is a must to ease into gradually increasing your distance and stamina. Good luck! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest till they're better, then introduce running more gradually... twice a week, a slower pace and less distance, build up sloooooowly and make sure you stretch loads afterwards
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice you've been giving about resting to recover and then working up more gradually.

That being said, how are your Vitamin D levels? There's a link between D deficiency and shin splints.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A physio I was seeing a few years ago got me to run on the front of my foot - i.e. not putting my heel down and that works to stop my shin splints but everyone is different. I'd recommend the C25k programme as well
  • jwebb949
    jwebb949 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with shin splints, anything over a brisk walk would give me pain. After a few weeks of using a foam roller on my shins they subsided...
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I get horrible shinsplints too. To the point where I can barely walk for up to a week. Tried it all, shoes, compression socks, taping, starting slow and working my way up, all the stretching, and strength building, nothing worked for me. After a few days of trying, I would have to stop for the pain, and by the time my shinsplints stopped hurting I felt like I was starting all over again. It wouldn't take me more than three weeks before I absndoned my fitness routine all together. I have high arches and plantar fasciitis issues as well, so I finally gave up on running several years ago and now stick to low impact cardio options like bikes and ellipticals. By doing so I was finally able to build some real endurance and keep it as part of my routine long term. I have no regrets and I'm currently hoping to get a rowing machine for my basement some day in the distant future.

I have recently started to reconsider my no running stance. I'm in much better overall shape than I was last time I tried, but then I remember that the last time I sprinted for 30 seconds across a parking lot just to catch up to someone, I was limping and regretting it for a week. In a lot of ways running would be so much easier, my husband wants a treadmill, and I want something nicer than my cheap squeaky yard sale elliptical, and a treadmill is a heck of a lot cheaper than a rowing machine. We live in a cold climate where running outside isn't possible 6 months out of the year. Plus being able to run outside when it is nice out would be amazing. I just don't know if it's something I can ever feasibly do.

Running is great, and I wish I could do it, but there are plenty of other great cardio options out there too if you decide the shinsplints are too much of an obstacle to your overall fitness goals.
  • deucemon69
    deucemon69 Posts: 647 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ran my first half-marathon with shin splints and it sucked so bad I stopped running for about year. After that I was taught how to run with a front to mid foot strike and that fixed the problem. As suggested above, look at Chi Running as well as the Pose method of running. Barefoot running will also help teach these forms naturally, but just don't over do it because your feet don't have the strength to run 5 miles with no shoes. Just take it slow and steady. Also add ankle rolls to your warm up. Do like 15 clockwise and then 15 counter-clockwise. that will help build some strength in your shins and calves.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If your running shoes are nice and light make sure your laces are not tight only snug up the top two eyelets but not to tight
  • aleerichardson
    aleerichardson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I think I've solved my problem though! Turns out, I'm more of a heel planter than I thought. I found a warm up exercise that seemed funny at first but it's been helping me a ton. Small jumping in place, followed by jumping on alternate feet, then jump skips, then start jogging. It's really helped me figure out exactly how to run mid foot, especially when I thought I was already doing that. Currently doing 1-2 mile intervals a few times a week and having no more shin problems. Focused stretching before and after, foam rolling and icing have been helping a lot too.