Macro help?

Options
Gaining too quickly for my last pregnancy and Dr has me restricting calories to 1700.

He wants me to be "low carb"... what does that mean exactly? Is 100g low?

Eating Whole Foods... just needing help with the split. Thanks guys!

5ft9 - 250 - 11weeks #3

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Low carb is generally recognized as anything under 140g. Do you know why he is suggesting that? Do you have blood glucose issues or insulin issues?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I'd suggest you ask him. He knows you, he made the recommendation... ask him for clarification.

I'm sure some people will chime in here with some generalized answers, which is fine, but generalized answers are called generalized for a reason.
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Low carb is generally recognized as anything under 140g. Do you know why he is suggesting that? Do you have blood glucose issues or insulin issues?

He doesn't want me gaining too fast, I have a tendency to put on weight pretty quickly with my previous pregnancies and he's worried about me developing GD (which I didn't have either time before)... I tried to ask him if I could just eat in deficit but he specifically asked me to try low carb and watch my sugars.
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I'd suggest you ask him. He knows you, he made the recommendation... ask him for clarification.

I'm sure some people will chime in here with some generalized answers, which is fine, but generalized answers are called generalized for a reason.

Yeah I called and he just said to not eat refined or processed food... which I really don't, but I do eat a lot of rice and potatos so I'm trying to figure out where to put my carbs at so that I can control the amount of carbs I guess? I'm honestly so confused because I've never had GD with my other two and I was overweight with my last child also
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That's fair.

At 1700 calories, I would do 25% carbs, 45% fats, 30% protein. You can increase fats and decrease carbs based on personal preference. Also, aim for 20-30g of fiber. And increase sodium to around 3k. When you go lower carb, you can deplete glycogen and electrolytes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Gaining too quickly for my last pregnancy and Dr has me restricting calories to 1700.

5ft9 - 250 - 11weeks #3

That's probably a question for him, not us.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BTW, shouldn't this be a concern for your obgyn instead of your GD?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

5ft9 - 250 - 11weeks #3

As psuLemon just mentioned - is this your OB/GYN saying this?

In any case, at 5'9" and 250 lb, I can't help but think you'll lose weight on 1700 Cals/day - not just lower the gain rate.
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options

5ft9 - 250 - 11weeks #3

As stated in previous comments, I have :) and he doesn't know how the macronutrients would look he gave me a general answer of low carb

• kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    BTW, shouldn't this be a concern for your obgyn instead of your GD?

GD is meant to be gestational diabetes sorry
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    That's fair.

At 1700 calories, I would do 25% carbs, 45% fats, 30% protein. You can increase fats and decrease carbs based on personal preference. Also, aim for 20-30g of fiber. And increase sodium to around 3k. When you go lower carb, you can deplete glycogen and electrolytes.

This is very helpful thank you!
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

5ft9 - 250 - 11weeks #3

As psuLemon just mentioned - is this your OB/GYN saying this?

In any case, at 5'9" and 250 lb, I can't help but think you'll lose weight on 1700 Cals/day - not just lower the gain rate.

Pre-baby I was eating 1900 and working out 30-40 mins a day and hadn't lost weight in a month ? If I lose weight I will definitely bump up the intake!
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Haha I didn't have problems with GD, but if my Dr told me to restrict calories I'd prolly switch doctors! I actually choose a midwife, for which I am glad. They treated pregnancy and birth as less of a condition to treat and more like a natural event to support you through.

I say, Focus on nutrition, like getting your recommended daily intake of vitamin c, calcium, folate, iron etc. Your body is working hard so help it out by giving yourself the nutrition you need. I gained 40 pounds during pregnancy, which was overkill, but no problems with labor or birth and baby was healthy. I was told the healthier food you eat, the easier the weight comes off. My baby weight took a full 9 months to come off, but it took 9 months to put on. Also, if you breastfeed exclusively you'll still be mega hungry after birth. You can burn up to 500 extra calories a day just from breastfeeding! I was always hungry while breastfeeding.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I dunno... granted I have no idea what being pregnant entails biochemically, but this whole conversation just feels wrong. What, you're growing a person inside you? Let's cut back your calories. And while we're at it... let's cut back on something that is demonized by media outlets and scammers - carbs.

This screams second opinion to me.

• psuLemon
    edited February 2017
    Options

5ft9 - 250 - 11weeks #3

As stated in previous comments, I have :) and he doesn't know how the macronutrients would look he gave me a general answer of low carb

If a doctor can't give tell you how to set up your profile to "avoid" GD, even though you historically haven't had it, I would question their advice. Don't get me wrong, I listen to doctors for a lot, I rarely to never listen to them for nutrition advice. Most doctors don't even have any formal education in diet. You can ask for a referral to a dietitian though.

If it was my wife, as long as she was eating mainly whole foods, trying to stay active and gaining at a moderate pace, I wouldn't limit food choices that much. My wife struggled a lot in the first and third trimesters and barely ate. So adding more restrictions would have been tough. Although, she only gained 20 lbs over her term.
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    I think asking for a dietician is a great idea... I really want to give my baby the best nutrition and carbs can carry a lot of great stuff... the weight gain doesn't bother me because it's not forever, so I think I'll give him another call and ask for a referral!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'd say just make sure your carbs are from wholesome sources, chose whole grains which sounds like you do. A baked potato is different than a plate of white pasta.

My doctor (not for pregnancy) told me to do low carbs too and I think it's just a go to suggestion to cut calories. I technically DO eat "low" carb but not because he said so, I just want to spend my calories on other things.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You will most likely be screened at a certain point during pregnancy for GD. You've probably done a GTT (glucose tolerance test) before. It's where you drink a bottle of sugar-water on an empty stomach then get your blood drawn 3 times. It's not a fun test, but the pancreas sometimes can't keep up with insulin production upon pregnancy weight gain. Try not to worry too much, that's what the test is for, to catch a problem, if it occurs. Also, google the percentage of women who develop GD... it's really not as high as you think. I'm guessing your doc is trying to gear you towards preventative medicine, which is a good thing. But if he suggested "low-carb" without really explaining why, I'd be asking some more questions. Good luck to you!