Mini-success

Options
I've always been active all my life, being a swimmer in high school (50+ years ago), a hiker and a triathlete, finishing the Ironman 3 times, the last at age 59. Then in my mid 60's I started having some problems with not being able to sleep, intense night sweating, no energy, etc. After a number of doctor exams, it was finally suggested that I needed to have my digestive system looked at. Turned out I had both kidney stones and a lot of stones in my gall bladder. Well a 45 minute laparoscopic surgery would surely fix that. And then the surgery turned into a 3+ hour ordeal when the doctor said my gall bladder was the worst he'd ever seen. It was solid like a bag of cement, rotting away, and stuck to my liver, which he was lucky to not damage during the bladder removal. I had ballooned up to 220 lbs from my normal 180. I'm now doing much better with a lot more energy. Since January 1st, I've dropped 17 lbs. with a strict diet and intense exercise program. I went on an 8 mile hike this weekend in the snow, and other days I've been doing spin classes and treadmill workouts. As I get close to 69 years of age (in July) I feel better than I have in the last 5 years. Weighed 203 this morning and hoping to reach my goal of 175.

Replies

• Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I'd say it is more than a mini-success. I admire your dedication. I'm 61 and know that this stuff (eating properly, exercising, etc.) does not get easier as we age. I know you got this and will reach that goal!
  • judydj1220
    judydj1220 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's great news! This is a great reminder for us to pay attention to our body and when something is not in our norm (weight, activity or other), we should seek medical advise. So often we dismiss it as "getting older", so I'm glad you sought out help. Good luck to you on your journey to health!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!