Savory Oatmeal

JAG1224
JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
I just tried this recipe and was pleasantly surprised how yummy it was. I'm used to having my oatmeal with fruits and stuff so this was a nice change. I used regular mushrooms instead of shiitake and added a few chopped onions.. I plugged it in and it came out to 286 calories. I know it sounds weird but give it a try.. it's pretty good.

Asian-Inspired Savory Oatmeal
From Susannah Chen

Ingredients

1 cup water
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats, such as McCann's Irish Oatmeal
Cooking spray
1 extra-large egg
1/3 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, plus more for drizzling
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon chopped scallions, white and light green parts only

Directions

Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Stir in rolled oats and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until thickened and creamy, about 1-1/2 minutes. Cover oats; remove from heat.
Heat a small frying pan over medium heat; coat evenly with cooking spray. Crack egg into pan and fry about 3 minutes, or until whites become opaque and yolk is slightly set, but still runny.
Remove egg and set aside; add diced shiitake mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes until soft.
Add soy sauce and Sriracha to oatmeal; stir to combine. Transfer oats to a bowl and top with diced shiitake mushrooms and fried egg. Drizzle with sesame oil and soy sauce; top with chopped scallions.
Serves 1.

imag0266m.jpg
mine.. my egg is brown because i cooked it right after i sauteed the mushrooms! haha. still yummy.

d7892f03846959c4_IMG_1135.preview.JPG
picture from the website.

Replies

• greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Hmm... sounds very interesting! Might give that a try soon
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Wow, what a creative recipe! I need to try this- I love recipes that do the unexpected. Thanks for posting this!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    bump.
  • glenbea
    glenbea Posts: 6 Member
    thanks for this recipe. it sounds and looks so good. Saved it.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Bumping - sounds interesting!
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Wow this fills two of my common cravings: a hearty breakfast and asian food. Thanks!
  • dreabean81
    dreabean81 Posts: 3 Member
    Sounds like how different Asian cultures make rice porridge. I'm down to try it.