Snacking on nuts? Good or bad!!

Options
I am a big fan of nuts - cashew pistachio walnuts. And like to snack on these (in moderation). However, it really bumps up the daily calorie intake. Plus it's good fat!! Not sure what to do as I then exceed my total goal!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    They provide for healthy fats...they are calorie dense. If you are exceeding your calorie targets, it doesn't matter if they're good fats.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have either almonds or pistachios daily I just make sure they fit in my daily allotment
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Eat less nuts. Weigh out a portion or portions that fit into your daily calorie goal and either commit to not eating more than that, or make room somewhere else in your day so you can fit them in.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat only the amount that fits in your calorie goal. If you need to you may need to remove something else to make room for them.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I follow the "one small handful a day rule". I worry less these days about my fat macro. I just make sure I get my protein and let carbs/fat fall where it may.

Nuts are one of the few things I religiously use the scales for though.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can't have them. Too calorie dense. They aren't even really a part of my maintenance diet.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I think nuts are a great snack, yeah they are calorie dense but they fill me up and give me energy. Of course if you're not hungry and/or they don't fit whatever your diet is then don't eat them or eat less, but they are a way better option than other snacks out there.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Context matters. E.g if your meals tend to be low fat and you struggle to hit your fat minimum, you need fat-rich snacks. I love nuts, too, and fit them in almost every day. I always weigh them, though. I amaze myself with how good I am at estimating food weights. Except nuts. I underestimate those. :s
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Make sure you eat unsalted. They pack so much salt into the salted brands.

I try to make room for nuts in my diet because they help raise your hdl
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nuts are one of natures' greatest sources of antioxidants! They also increase longevity! Don't cut them out, maybe just cut back to fit them in? There's tons of positive new research out there touting the benefits of daily nut consumption. Maybe pre-weigh/portion into snack baggies?
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I would avoid personally.. snacking suggests having quite a few
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Snacking on nuts is good.

Snacking on nuts handful by the handful by the handful by the handful until you realize you've eaten the whole can or bag and used up your calories for the whole week is....potentially bad. :)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat nuts as a snack. For me, if I just eat a serving size it doesn't satisfy me. Also I always go over on my fat macros for the day - and I know they're good fats but my body seems to show it. But if you love them, just portion them out for the day.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on nuts. But I portion them out into 1 oz servings and don't usually have them more than once a day. Don't just eat out of the container-too easy to eat more than you intend. I usually pair them with a piece of fruit or a piece of cheese.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Agreed - it's SO easy to overeat calories from nuts. I find Pistachios at least take a little longer to eat if you have to shell them. Be really careful to weigh out how many you're truly eating and fit them into your macros.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I love them, but they are calorie dense.

I don't eat them every day, but if I have them for a snack I portion them out and eat them with something else to fill me up.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, IMO it's very simple.

If they make you feel satiated and help you stay within your goals, then they're good for you.

If they're causing you to exceed your calorie goal, then they're bad for you.

Sounds like in your case, they are bad for you, unless you cut down on the amount and make them fit into your day without exceeding your calorie goal.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I can't have them. Too calorie dense. They aren't even really a part of my maintenance diet.

Me either. I don't want a serving size, I want the whole bag. They are a food I cannot moderate therefore do not buy.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use them as a garnish for salads and mains. Snacking on them, if I haven't pre-measured and hidden the rest away, makes it a challenge for me to stop before I go over my calories.