Fact or fiction: doomed to be fat forever?

Options
Hello, I have 40 lbs to lose to be back at a healthy weight and just began my endeavor this week. Therefore I have only seen a 0.2 weight reduction and will go to weekly weights thereafter to save my sanity. I have seen web based research that has said that once you are overweight or obese the likelihood of returning to a healthy weight despite diet changes and exercise is unlikely. This is very very deflating as I have gained about 50 lbs in 5 years

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs and have kept it off for years. It takes work and I have set backs but I refuse to give up. I'm normally leaner in the summer and then around November and December I take a break (little fluffier). I don't believe that once your obese that's it. I did plateau for several weeks but broke that last week. I hear you on the sanity weigh ins, and have decided to not step on the scale for all of February. I know I'm doing everything right so that little bit of less stress will help me. Hang in there and know that you will have good days and bad days.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I lost 60+ lbs a few years ago and gained 80+ after because I went back to what I had always done (over eating and not exercising).
    Since then, I am down 30 and have maintained this for about a year, and starting on losing another 30 now. I've realized that maintaining the loss is totally possible, it will just require some effort on my part, much like losing the weight. Regular exercise, changing my eating habits, and watching my portions sizes (or logging my food) will be necessary for me to continue to maintain my loss. As well as losing the weight with a method and intake that is reasonable to sustain.
    I think gaining weight back is often easier than the work it takes to keep it off, but after doing this a second time I've realized it will be totally worth it.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's habits. Bad food habits make you fat. More wholesome food habits AND exercise make you thin.

It's up to you.

Do you prefer a bag of chips and quart of ice cream or feeling good about looking in a mirror as you walk by or flipping through a photo album?

Yes. The choice is yours.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's totally your choice. Most people who are overweight will either remain overweight or lose weight and then regain it. But it's because they don't work at it. They either don't put in the work to lose weight, or they fail to continue to work at maintaining the loss.

It's not that they can't, it's that they don't. You control which group you'll be in.

This.

I don't think it qualifies as either a myth or a rule. But I do think there is a lot of truth to it in that most people who lose weight don't keep it off and end up heavier than they were before they lost.

I'm still losing and can't speak to how I will do long-term, but I think I have enough knowledge to know how to keep it off once it is gone. I guess only time will tell but I'm optimistic. I'm resigned to using a food scale and weighing at least weekly forever. Maybe I won't have to, but at this point I expect I will.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I lost over 70 pounds in 2007.

I'm still maintaining that weight loss.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

What did you do to lose the weight?

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    motiv8td18 wrote: »
    Hello, I have 40 lbs to lose to be back at a healthy weight and just began my endeavor this week. Therefore I have only seen a 0.2 weight reduction and will go to weekly weights thereafter to save my sanity. I have seen web based research that has said that once you are overweight or obese the likelihood of returning to a healthy weight despite diet changes and exercise is unlikely. This is very very deflating as I have gained about 50 lbs in 5 years

Absolutely untrue. I don't know what "web based research" is, but not everything you see on the internet is true. Most of it is not true. Please read the Success Stories forum here on MFP for hundreds of stories of people who've lost weight and kept it off. These are case studies, not scientific research studies, but they disprove your theory.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean you're doomed, but once you've been overweight, being a healthy weight is a lifetime commitment.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Some already said something like this .... the longer you have been overweight or obese, the harder it will be to lose a lot of weight and keep it off .... because of habits mostly. That said, I have read research (that has been discussed on these forums) about the body wanting to revert to it's status quo condition .... which, after many many years of a certain weight is the status quo. That's what I have also found to be true for myself ... but I also recognize that my brain and all it's secret hidden secrets are part of my body and that a lot of the walls I've hit in trying to lose and maintain that loss come from my personal preferences and habits.

Never give up! If you want to be thinner, you CAN DO IT ... it will take effort, it will take work, sometimes it will feel bad, other times it will be good.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    motiv8td18 wrote: »

It is unlikely because people don't want to do what they need to do to lose the weight and get healthy. But there's a big difference between unlikely and impossible. In fact, anyone can do it if they are willing to.