Angel Food Cake - need reciepe

Options
atynk
atynk Posts: 400 Member
Hey all,
just wondering if anyone has a really healthy angel food cake reciepe made with egg whites. Trying to keep as healthy as possible!

Thanks

Replies

• atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'd actually like to put these in cupcakes so I dont eat the whole cake lol
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The one step box mixes work really well and are pretty "healthy" as far as cake goes. A homemade angle food cake tends to be really senstitive while baking where as the box has more stability.
  • shellymallon
    Options
    Here is a recipe that is in the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook.

Blueberry Angel Cupcakes

11 egg white
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
    1 1/2 cups suger, divided
    1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

GLAZE:
    1 cup confectioner's sugar
    3 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar three times; set aside.

2. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel.

3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375 degrees for 14-17 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

4. In a small bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Brush over cupcakes. Let stand until set.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen

Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.

Nutrition Info per cupcake:
    calories: 76
    cholesterol: 0
    sodium: 60mg
    carbs: 18g
    protein: 2g
    trace fat
    trace fiber

*If you make these without the glaze, they are only 60 calories each
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    Here is a recipe that is in the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook.

Blueberry Angel Cupcakes

11 egg white
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
    1 1/2 cups suger, divided
    1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

GLAZE:
    1 cup confectioner's sugar
    3 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar three times; set aside.

2. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel.

3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375 degrees for 14-17 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

4. In a small bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Brush over cupcakes. Let stand until set.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen

Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.

Nutrition Info per cupcake:
    calories: 76
    cholesterol: 0
    sodium: 60mg
    carbs: 18g
    protein: 2g
    trace fat
    trace fiber

*If you make these without the glaze, they are only 60 calories each

YUM, these sound delish!
  • shellymallon
    Options
    They are! Haven't made them in a while, but I think I might have to now :smile:
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    The blueberry angel cupcakes sound wonderful. I will have to try them out this weekend. Just remember not to use a plastic bowl when mixing the angel food cake mix. Very clean glass or metal only or your cake won't rise well.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I love making this one, it's chocolate and vanilla.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-white-angel-food-cake-10000001599622/

Stick with homemade ones, the box ones are chemical tasting. Angel food also freezes really good so even if you make the cake instead of the cupcakes you can slice it up, wrap, and freeze. Google angel food and you'll find lots of recipes for different flavors, orange, lemon...
    Happy Baking!
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    The blueberry angel cupcakes sound wonderful. I will have to try them out this weekend. Just remember not to use a plastic bowl when mixing the angel food cake mix. Very clean glass or metal only or your cake won't rise well.

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard that before!!! :)
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells a sugar free strawberry angel food cake that is low in calories and simply delicious.
  • Pattywack74
    Options
    bump for later...thank you
  • xcmom
    xcmom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I take a 1 step angel food cake box mix and a lemon cake box mix and mix the dry mixes together well either in a ziploc bag or a storage container. And then when you want some cake you take 1/3 cup of the mix & 3 tablespoons of water and mix in a mug or I use a glass bowl and put in microwave. I start at 30 seconds & just keep adding time until it is cooked, I think it's around 2 minutes, I haven't made it for awhile. You can use any flavor cake mix you want.