Vegan for 30 Days

Options
I have been researching a raw food diet. I want to try it for 30 days and see if my weight has any difference from it. I have had a lot of thought about becoming a vegan.

I would really love any recipes or advise on how to begin and continue. Are there any supplements I need to take for protein or other nutrients?

Any Vegans please advise on this :)

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I don't do raw, but I do know you will need to take a Vitamin B12 supplement if you remain vegan for years. Everything I've read leads me to believe that I need to start taking the supplement pretty soon. I'm a 5 year vegan.

https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/vitamins-minerals-and-nutrients/vitamin-b12-your-key-facts/what-every-vegan-should-know-about-vitamin-b12

• kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a little over 2 years now. I'm not a raw vegan, but have tried a few raw vegan recipes which are amazing - the only problem is that I don't have a dehydrator, nor do I want to buy one :)

I don't take any supplements, but recently started a heavy lifting program and so I do drink a protein shake daily (Vega brand Protein + Greens in vanilla flavor).

You may need a B12 supplement, or you may not. Nutritional yeast is a vegan pantry staple and is a great source of B12. Many people will also tell you that you'll need to supplement protein, calcium, and iron, among others. Dark leafy greens are a great source of iron and calcium, and most non-dairy milks are fortified with calcium, so that's usually not a problem. Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are all great sources of plant-based protein, as well as chia and hemp seeds if you'd rather opt for more natural, unprocessed proteins.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure you're getting probiotics from somewhere - either taking a daily supplement (careful, they're not all vegan - I buy RainbowLight ProbioActive from Amazon.com), or make fermented foods a part of your daily diet - kombucha is my favorite and I've recently just started brewing it on my own.

If you're in the market for non-raw vegan recipes, my go-to is minimalistbaker.com. I've made dozens of her recipes and each one is phenomenal. Nom Yourself, OhSheGlows, and Vegan Richa are also great blogs that are all over Pinterest, and most of them also have their own cookbooks out.

Have fun on your journey!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If it's purely for weight loss, why not eat how you like just at a calorie deficit?
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand what your aim is: you are wanting to be vegan for 30 days, or raw for 30 days? They are different. Oreos and spaghetti are vegan, for example, but not raw.

For cheese flavor, use nutritional yeast. To substitute eggs in baking use vinegar (no baking in raw diet). You can make your own mayonnaise (without eggs). For raw you will need to soak your grains, nuts, and beans, no cooking allowed. I've never done a raw diet, but I imagine you would need a food thermometer, a food processor, and maybe a dehydrator.

I'm sure you will lose weight on a raw diet- I know I would simply because it's too much trouble to make the food, I'd rather go hungry :P But vegan is easier.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand what your aim is: you are wanting to be vegan for 30 days, or raw for 30 days? They are different. Oreos and spaghetti are vegan, for example, but not raw.

For cheese flavor, use nutritional yeast. To substitute eggs in baking use vinegar (no baking in raw diet). You can make your own mayonnaise (without eggs). For raw you will need to soak your grains, nuts, and beans, no cooking allowed. I've never done a raw diet, but I imagine you would need a food thermometer, a food processor, and maybe a dehydrator.

I'm sure you will lose weight on a raw diet- I know I would simply because it's too much trouble to make the food, I'd rather go hungry :P But vegan is easier.

Weight loss isn't guaranteed on a raw diet. I know a few people who have done it who maintained their current weight and a couple of people who even gained weight.

Calorie-dense raw foods include fruits (avocado, coconut) and nuts. You can't be sure a random person will lose weight on a raw diet because it's all going to come down to how many calories they consume.

If you would rather go hungry than prepare raw food, you might lose weight (or you might have the budget to buy a bunch of tasty calorie-dense raw foods that don't require much prep). But what if I don't find it much trouble to make walnut "taco meat" and a coconut smoothie and raw seed crackers dipped in guacamole? If I don't monitor my calorie intake, I could easily end up weighing more than before.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just remember to still count your calories, because it doesn't matter that you are changing your diet if you eat to much!
  • mantramoon
    mantramoon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 20 years, and have been leaning more and more vegan. After all this time, I absolutely do not miss meat one bit! One thing you should know is that modern humans have evolved to eat cooked food (it's why our jaws and teeth are so small compared to other primates) so don't try to go all raw - at least half your food should still be cooked. Vegetable soups are a great option - filling without a ton of calories. I am working on eating more salad myself. There is a ton of great vegan cooking support online - I recommend the VeganGal.com and Forks over Knives websites. Good luck getting healthy!
  • xcheyxo18
    xcheyxo18 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :) I definitely appreciate the advice.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    lookup raw desserts... i could absolutely gain on that! i think what you want is a raw form of plant-based. like juicing and freelee the banana girl. just to warn you and don't say i didn't... you will bloat like a pregnant lady. consider yourself warned! have fun.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Take B12.
    Veggies - Kale, Romaine, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli Slaw, Cabbage are staples. Potatoes (or are they a grain? ) Also enjoy many other veggies.
    Also Quinoa, Lentils, Cous-Cous, Brown Rice. Oatmeal!
    I love to make a large romaine lettuce wrap and load it full of cold veggies.
    I take it easy on fruits due to the sweetness/sugar tends to drive more appetite - but still eat apples, halo oranges, blueberries, and a banana on marathon days.
    Love veggie soups, vegan chili, cabbage soup, and I eat tons of fresh raw veggies. I also run alot, and I would swear that a vegetarian diet helps my 50 year old legs recovery quickly.
    Do some research - lots of good info. I started that diet style for health, then adopted other reasons to continue.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It will really change the way you feel, if you go raw. My sugar cravings dissipate. I try to include as much raw veggies as possible into my daily meals. It is a challenge in winter, I enjoy going to a totally raw diet in the summer when the produce is so much fresher. My lunch today was a kale salad with quinoa, lots of fresh veggies, with cashews on top and a homemade sesame thai dressing. Good luck!
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm vegan for 6 years after being vegetarian, but i gained weight hence I'm here. There are way to many lovely raw and vegan baking recipes flying over the Internet.