Gallbladder Surgery....

Options
Has anybody else had to have thier gallbladder removed?!

Do you eat differently now? Or there side effects after certain things that you eat?!

I had mine removed a lil over a year ago and I didnt seem to have to change anything but my friends have been having trouble after thiers....

Replies

• LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in '04. I still have to be a little bit mindful when I eat things that are very greasy. I just need to remember to be close to a bathroom for a couple of hours right after eating.
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out 3 weeks after I had my daughter. The only issue i have now is certain foods dont tend to stay with me like they used to but that is a minimal price to pay compared to the pain i dealt with when i was pregnant.
  • alexandnickymom
    Options
    i had mine removed a little over 5 years ago and i have not had to change a thing. i don't feel any different either.
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out about 2 years ago.. I haven't really noticed a difference in eating either... however now that i've started eating better... i might notice that what i was 'used' to... wasn't normal..ha ha
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in March of 2010 and I'm the same as you...no difference with eating but I'm a little more regular.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Had mine out about 12 years ago. Didn't have to change anything about my diet. I'm one of those people that overproduces bile, which caused the gallstones. Those who underproduce bile can have some difficulty breaking down large quantities of fats.
  • iowaiceman
    iowaiceman Posts: 12
    Options
    I eat the same thing I always did.
  • Orska
    Orska Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Before I had my gallbladder out, I couldn't eat anything greasy. It came out 7 years ago and I haven't had any problems with food since.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed after my first daughter, exactly three months after.
    She is now 30 years old and I do have a little problem with fatty foods or
    greasy foods but all in all I feel good.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My husband had his out when he was 17, that was four years ago. He eats whatever he wants now... which is mostly Mountain Dew and In n Out Burger (I'm working on him).
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes, got mine yanked out ... literally saved my life.

As for the life change - yes, there are two changes you will notice immediately.

First, you will have energy like you've never had before. Your body has had to fight an ongoing infection and series of complications due to your bad gal-bladder. So, when it's gone - you will feel amazing.

But secondly - I had a digestive tract that could not deal with fatty foods. Eat something a little fatty (Chicken or beef fajita, McDonalds, Pizza) and you had best get out of my way. I would walk as quickly as I could (I did not dare run) to the restroom; and the experience was - well, enlightening. I quickly became aware of the restrooms in my immediate vicinity - at all times.

This 'side-effect' lasted about 6 months before it went away. But, those 6 months were full of sudden surprises, lots of urgency - but no calamities. Thank God!!
  • bcolburn289
    Options
    Mine came out almost 5 years ago and I haven't had any troubles at all since then. :)
  • abbysmommy1
    abbysmommy1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had mine out June 7th, and it has made a big difference in the way I feel. I feel a lot better than I did - more energy, less pain.

As for after effects, Like others have said, I have to be careful about eating too much fat per meal, and always stay near a bathroom for a few hours after eating. Although, in my case, whether or not I've eaten anything that would normally cause symptoms I still sometimes have digestive problems.
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 2.5 years ago.
    Haven't had to change my diet all that much. For some reason I have severe stomach cramps when I eat grapes. I don't understand that one. I am mindful of eating vast quantities of fat at once.
    But the surgery didn't get rid of my symptoms, so I'm currently trying to figure out what is actually wrong with me.
    Good luck.
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Had mine out about 3 years ago. The most common lasting issue I've had is with certain greases (don't know which) and I'm in the RR 10 mins after eating it. Seriously, I can do BK or McDs and no issue at all, then I'll eat eggs or bacon at a breakfast place and I'm having issues before we pay the bill.

As a runner I've noticed I can't process GU or gels or anything that isn't solid, some sports drinks upset me and I can't have anything dairy the day before a race. I'm lucky because really I consider these minor "issues" where I have friends on medicine and who had to totally change their diets. For me I sum it up as anything liquid can irritate me, so I'm careful.