Rest days?

Options
How often should I have rest days?

I was doing 5 days gym and cardio on weekdays back to back, then the weekend off and cardio if I feel like it. Is this a good approach? I have been getting burnt out by Wednesday and wanting to skip, but so far have pushed through this. Should I try a different approach?

Thank you all

Replies

• RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week and have to switch things up so I don't get bored.

I only work out for 30-45 minutes if I'm doing HIIT cardio or running (Tuesday and Thursday). For weight lifting/strength training, I do 10 minutes cardio and warm-ups then 40 minutes lifting (Monday and Friday). I mix in yoga, Pilates, and water aerobics throughout the week (Wednesday and Saturday).

Eating enough is vital. With some workouts, I'll burn upwards of 750 calories so I make sure I'm fueling my body properly.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 7 days a week. I do Insanity twice, Yoga once (rest day), and hit the gym the other days. Sometimes I skip one though. Yesterday I left work early with a sinus cold and just relaxed.

Find what works for you that you can maintain is the best advice. You don't want to burn yourself out and end up doing nothing. And don't beat yourself up if you miss one or change the plan.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If you're burnt out by Wednesday, maybe it would be a good idea to take Wednesday off.
    I am currently working out 4-5 days per week, and I find that I don't perform as well/feel as good if I don't have some days off in between workouts. I try to stay active and do something low impact like a walk on my off days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds good to me. What I like about rest days are the mental break but also the flexibility. E.g. if my schedule jumps the rail during the week, I can just call it a rest day and make up for it on the weekend (when most people have more time anyway). If you do have more time on the weekends, maybe plan for a rest day mid-week to give yourself the mental break? Or like SCoil, do Yoga or something you like that's lower intensity mid-week?

FWIW, one rest day is enough for me. I do ST 5 days (used to do 6 & wondering if I should go back to that) and cardio 6 days (alternating HIIT and easy). Sometimes I get really bored and a little stir crazy on my rest day and just want to get out to do a walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »

I was doing 5 days gym and cardio on weekdays back to back, then the weekend off and cardio if I feel like it. Is this a good approach? I have been getting burnt out by Wednesday and wanting to skip, but so far have pushed through this. Should I try a different approach?

Thank you all

Rest days (think recovery days) are important...they should be viewed as an integral part of a fitness plan...they are just as important to development as the work itself. Also, varying intensity and duration during the week will be beneficial to fitness development. Recovery is where the magic happens...it's just as important as the work.

Also, "two-a-days" performed with regularity are a recipe for burnout, particularly if you don't already have a substantial base of physical fitness...dieting can enhance this issue.

Just an example of what I'm doing right now...I'm not training for anything at the moment, just getting in regular exercise:

Monday - 30-60 minute walk at lunch; lifting PM
    Tuesday - 30 minute sprint intervals on my bike
    Wednesday - 30-60 minute walk at lunch; lifting PM
    Thursday - Rest...I walk at lunch...do some yoga in the evening if I have time
    Friday - 45 minute sprint intervals on my bike
    Saturday - 60 minute ride; endurance pace
    Sunday - 90-120 minute ride; endurance pace

I also listen to what my body is telling me...if I need an additional rest day, I take it. I deload everything about every 6 weeks and just take a week to let my body recover from everything...mostly walking and yoga.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Some of this depends on what you're doing (intensity level) and whether you're new to this exercise routine.

Personally, if one is inactive, I think it can work well to ramp up somewhat gradually, maybe starting with an every other day/3 days a week approach for more vigorous exercise (with rest or light/easy exercise between), then adding more as one gets stronger. This can be especially true if you're combining new exercise with calorie deficit eating targeting a relatively aggressive weight loss (don't know if that's your situation).

How you feel should be your guide, for sure: If you're feeling burnt out by Wednesday, I'd suggest taking a rest day, or at least a low-intensity day.

Just as with weight loss, in adopting an exercise routine, you're ideally trying to find a sustainable routine you can continue enjoyably forever. Getting fatigued or burned out doesn't contribute to that.

And as others have said, even if you eventually become a serious athlete . . . those folks take rest days. They understand that it's part of the process of getting stronger, and staying healthy.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My rest days tend to be based on when other stuff crowds into my schedule. My typical schedule looks like this:

Monday - 90 minute bicycle ride
    Tuesday - 90 minute bicycle ride (60 minutes if I have a committee meeting)
    Wednesday - 60 minutes on Zwift (church night)
    Thursday - 90 minute bicycle ride
    Friday - Week 1 and Week 3, 90 minute bicycle ride, Week 2 and Week 4, 4 hour bicycle ride
    Saturday - 2 - 3 hour bicycle ride
    Sunday - ride bicycle to church (5 - 10 miles total) + two hour ride if time permits

So, basically, Wednesday and Sunday are my rest days.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As often as you need them.

Depending on your training, diet, sleep, stress, lifestyle, etc etc etc, you could need them every other day, you might only need them once or twice a month.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    When you say you're burning out, do you mean mentally or physically? I rarely take rest days but doing weights and triathlon training means I'm rarely taxing myself the same way over and over. A swim means my legs are getting a break. Weights won't hit my cardio system as much.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week, but I walk 7 days a week. On my two 'rest days', sometimes I'll do some biking or yoga or pilates, sometimes I'll go for a hike, sometimes I just run errands and clean the house. It took time to build up to 5 days running. I started out with 3 days a week, then went to every other day, so 3 days one week and 4 the next, then went to 2 days of exercise followed by a day off. In theory, my rest days are Monday and Friday, but I move them around depending on weather or other things going on. (I'd rather run outside if possible, so if it's sunny on Monday and rainy on Tuesday, I'll switch.)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »

Thank you all

Studies show merit and benefit to rest days but really vary on how much rest and how much benefit. I say do what feel right for your body. I mix things up a lot but try to rest at least two days per week, but on those days I might choose to do absolutely nothing, or I might to a light long walk and stretching.
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity Monday-Saturday and lift Wed/Thurs and Sat/Sun. If you are feeling burnt out I think doing 3 days of exercise and one day off is a good rotation because you still exercise 6 days/ week but it feels much more broken up and by the time you get to your second day you are already half done that rotation!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    I exercise 7 days a week ... but I vary what I do so that I'm not doing the same thing at the same intensity or length of time every day.
  • bisky4
    bisky4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if your body is feeling burnt out then its telling you to rest. perhaps rest on wed?