Inches vs Lbs? When will the scale catch up?

Options
Hi everyone, I joined a boot camp 5 weeks ago. Its pretty intense, mixture of interval, cardio, and weights. I started the camp weighing 236lbs, i'm 5'6. So far my scale fluctuates between 225-231lbs. So 'm not sure if ive lost 11lbs or 5lbs. LOL! I have lost 7" off my waist, and 1" off my thighs, hips, and bust in the last 5 weeks. I understand that "muscle weighs more than fat" and that I should be happy about my inches lost. However all my clothes still fit the same considering i'm pear shaped and not much differnce has been made on my body half. Just wondering how long will it take the scale to catch up. My goal weight is between 145-160lbs.

**** Just an FYI - i've lost 60lbs before, and gained back 70lbs last year after keeping it off for 5 years. Just had a super stressful year. However the first time i lost weight, I was also lifting weights and I was seeing a change in the scale daily... So i'm confused why this time aorund my body seems to be holding onto everything, and yes I know i'm probably over thinking it. lol

Replies

• bisky4
    bisky4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of reasons and these are only a couple. Are you eating enough food daily? are you eating the correct amount of carbs, protein and fat daily? Ive you are depriving yourself of nutrients/calories then you wont lose weight. Are you drinking enough water. You might need to see a personal trainer who will do up your macros/calories for you. Its great that you are doing boot camp, good luck.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bisky4 wrote: »
    Could be a number of reasons and these are only a couple. Are you eating enough food daily? are you eating the correct amount of carbs, protein and fat daily? Ive you are depriving yourself of nutrients/calories then you wont lose weight. Are you drinking enough water. You might need to see a personal trainer who will do up your macros/calories for you. Its great that you are doing boot camp, good luck.

Just no. why do you continue to say this to people. Ignore this entire post honestly..

Op if you've lost 5-11 pounds in 5 weeks why are you saying your not losing weight? thats 1-2 pounds a week, As expected.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I guess what I meant is the scale is fluctuation so much, that I'm unsure if I have actually lost 11lbs or 5lbs as one day it will be 225 and then the next back up to 232. I understand I have lost inches and I'm super happy about that, but I guess I'm confused at the same time with the fluctuations.

I'm eating between 1300-1500 calories per day. My trainer gave us a meal plan to follow. I'm drinking my recommended water daily. My Fitbit says I burn 500-700 calories per workout 4-5 days a week.

Just wonderfing if anyone else who has done weightlifting knew when the scale caught up.
  • sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem. it is so frustrating. I put mine down to my age as I am 55,female, but even if I saw 1lb a month come off I would be happy, I am circuit training 4 times a week and on top of that power walking with a 10lb weight vest 3 times for 90 mins yet still I weigh the same. counting calories,weighing and measuring, I honestly do not know what else I can do.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Lots of reasons why the number on the scale fluctuates. I loathe my scale. Keep doing what you're doing. Pay more attention to the inches. Drink lots of water. And if you can, invest in a nutrionist.
  • jamierobinson12
    jamierobinson12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what the scales say as your weight will change daily depending on water, sodium etc. I recommend tracking your progress by weekly picture. Go off what the mirror tells you rather than the numbers on the floor.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what the scales say as your weight will change daily depending on water, sodium etc. I recommend tracking your progress by weekly picture. Go off what the mirror tells you rather than the numbers on the floor.

This.

And also in regards to your query about weightlifting and water retention, it happens a lot. It is individual as to when it goes away, but for the record, mine went away like six weeks in. But my body composition was beginning to change, even if the scale wasn't.

Nobody is going to know what you weigh. They won't look at you and say 'oh, she weighs xxx pounds'. If you're losing inches, people will notice that. And your clothes will fit looser and that's always nice.

• gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!! I'll just keep drinking my water and doing what I've been doing!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've put away my scale,,I rely on my tape measure and how my clothes fit.