Will a healthy diet eating protein and fibre help get rid of belly fat

Options
I've got about 25 pounds to lose and quite a bit of belly fat. Does it matter what I eat to get a flat tummy as long as I count my calories? Or do I need to eat mainly protein and fibre to achieve a flat tummy?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Body fat is lost through consuming fewer calories than your body uses.

We can't target a location for the fat to be lost. It comes off where it wants to come off. Certain food combinations won't target belly fat loss but, as always, you should eat enough protein and fiber to stay healthy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose weight all over when you lose weight, and genetics will determine where you lose most. Not everybody is "cut out" to have a flat tummy, and some of the photos you see are 'shopped. A consistent calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. But a healthy diet (among other things sufficient in protein and fiber, but not too much) is good for your health and wellbeing.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Nah, it will just come off where it decides, when it decides. It's annoying like that. :neutral:
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Everything they said is true. That said, whether your tummy is flat or not could easily be affected by how you eat. Certain foods cause bloating in certain people. That has nothing to do with your body composition, and you will have to discover for yourself what keeps your tummy happy once your body fat is low enough to allow a flat tummy at all.
  • uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    Is it bloat or fat? Take probiotics at all??? If not you may want to give them a shot, you'll be surprised how much "belly fat" can be bloat and things actually stuck in your intestines, especially if highly processed foods are consumed.
  • Hannahjane123456
    Hannahjane123456 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It is fat from having a baby 7 weeks ago.
    I just thought eating lots of sugar and not having much protein and fibre will stop me losing the last bit of belly fat.

I've done my body fat percentage and it says I'm obsese so I really want to get a low body fat so I can see my stomach muscles.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    uggins311 wrote: »
    Is it bloat or fat? Take probiotics at all??? If not you may want to give them a shot, you'll be surprised how much "belly fat" can be bloat and things actually stuck in your intestines, especially if highly processed foods are consumed.

No. There is nothing "stuck" in your intestines.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ok so you just had a baby 7 weeks ago.. your body is still getting back to normal. Try not to put too much faith in your bf% reading at this point. Depending how it was taken, it can be very inaccurate, not to mention you are likely holding on to postpartum fluids which affect the results.

I try to eat a well balanced diet, making sure I eat enough protein, but I am all about my treats. The most important thing is you need to eat in a deficit or you will not lose. Also, if you are nursing be sure to fuel adequately to maintain your supply.
    And have patience!
    Congrats and good luck!