Couch to 5k

Options
btmixon
btmixon Posts: 55 Member
Has anyone tried this program? I am running an "adventure race" called Run For Your Lives in just over 3 months. I have started running, but not progressing as well as I would have hoped. Thinking of trying "couch to 5k". What have I got to loose, right? Just want to know if anyone has had success with this program......

Thanks,
Bryan

Replies

• lisadhancock
    lisadhancock Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm doing this now, starting week 2 today. i've never been much of a runner but this seems to make it doable for me. good luck on your run.
  • Clodybo
    Clodybo Posts: 1
    Options
    I've just started it! My auntie and her daughter also did this and can now run 12k after completing this :) deffinately works!
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i am on week 6 and i can't believe how much it has helped me.... i was really skeptical because i absolutely hate running. I ran 2 miles last week and it was the best feeling in the world to accomplish that! I think you should definitely try it!
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've just started it! My auntie and her daughter also did this and can now run 12k after completing this :) deffinately works!
    that's awesome, i'm hoping to be able to run 12k by May (which i should be able to before then, but there is a specific event i'm hoping to do!)
  • ilacasse
    ilacasse Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm doing it also and it does make it easy to get into it. I get anxious to run the days that I don't. I've heard of ppl that started to run with this program doing marathons now. So yeah ! Do it ! :glasses:
  • nicoledemarea
    nicoledemarea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have also been doing couch to 5k. I really like it. I have another friend who has completed it, and she is really happy with the results. I hope to join her and run in my first timed 5k event early this Fall. It's only $2.99 app on the iPhone, totally worth it! :)
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 5 and I have NEVER EVER been a runner at all....even as a kid...hated it. I actually enjoy it now and I'm progressing very well. I strongly suggest it!
  • Nursingmomof2
    Options
    The first time I really wanted to lose weight I did it. It was awesome! With that app and my over do it personality I was running 10 miles a day in a month! It was awesome! The weight loss was great too! However, school got busy and I stopped running and gained the weight right back...now I'm not feeling like running with it being summer so I'm doing gym classes. BUT the app is great!
  • LosinMama2b
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 5 and I have NEVER EVER been a runner at all....even as a kid...hated it. I actually enjoy it now and I'm progressing very well. I strongly suggest it!

I'm the exact same! Hated running...I remember distinctly saying the words "I am not a runner" or "I can't run" several bazillion times through out my life. I too am in the middle of week 5 and LOVE IT...I get so jazzed when I complete it and make a better time. Its indescribable how amazing it feels to do something that you swore up and down you could never do. Highly recommend it to ANYONE...especially those who swear they can't run!
  • btmixon
    btmixon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I'm gonna do it. I'm thinking about starting at week 3 or 4 since I feel I can already do that....
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love it! I'm on Week 5 Day 3, 20 minutes of running.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to run, because I just put my shoes on and starting running - like Forrest Gump or something :bigsmile: I started the Couch to 5k program 7 weeks ago - I am having great success. I am up to running a straight 25 minutes - not real fast yet - but I'm purposely not pushing it so I don't quit or blow out a knee or something! I love the program - it works great to build your running muscles and Help you be successful! Good luck to you. I'm going to do a 5k in the Fall - I can't believe I'm saying that.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I did it before my first 5K in April. It's awesome! I have tried to start running in the past, but I always got frustrated because I wound up either over- or under-doing it. Couldn't seem to find the right distance/time to start out, so I always quit after a few days. Couch to 5K solves that problem perfectly. I ran my first 5K in 30m 31s... Started the program over afterward, and I'm running another 5K in August. I always think the first couple weeks are too easy, but don't let it fool you... Just stick with it. It's the perfect way to ease into running.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm running week 4 day 3 tomorrow. I can't wait. It's definitely turned me into a runner. I'm going to race a 5k when this is done and then from there I'll probably do the bridge to 10k program, and hopefully a half marathon after that. I can't say enough good things about it. Just be sure to give yourself those rest days in between. They are as important as the running days.