At home work outs

My favorite way to get exercise is running. But I'm finding it more difficult to keep going this winter. So I'm thinking about starting hiit workouts that can be done at home. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it better to push through the cold and keep running?

Replies

• breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Could you invest in a treadmill? I love mine! It is a lower-end model I got at Sam's Club. Don't remember how much I paid for it, but it helps keep me going during these frigid months.
  • ottbbabe2002
    ottbbabe2002 Posts: 15 Member
    One day I'd like too. Unfortunately I'm a university student and just can't afford it.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    There's a lot of free apps and youtube videos to help with your dilemna. Although running is your favorite, it's not a bad deal to do some different workouts. It will give you a new stimulus and might even promote more weight loss.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    I would highly recommend a kettle bell or two as they're are loads of HIIT workouts you can do with them
  • ottbbabe2002
    ottbbabe2002 Posts: 15 Member
    Is there any sites in particular you would recommend?
  • superjohn71
    superjohn71 Posts: 20 Member
    Have a look at fitnessblender's channel on youtube. Loads of home workouts, most that only require an exercise mat and that's it. I use their videos when the weather means I'm not prepared to venture outside on my bike or for a run. Hope that helps!

https://youtube.com/channel/UCiP6wD_tYlYLYh3agzbByWQ
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Another fitnessblender vote. Been using it for years and never get bored because there's so much variety. I did invest in adjustable weights and that made a huge difference in my fitness level but there are lots of the videos that don't require weights.
  • JuliaFA1980
    JuliaFA1980 Posts: 1 Member
    I do workout at home. There are loads of home workouts with your bodyweight or minimum equipment. If you stick to time and number of St's it helps loads.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i have a stationary bike which i use when i am not running - its excellent cross training.
  • Ljtlafrenaye
    Ljtlafrenaye Posts: 4 Member
    Insanity is cardio Intervals Training with Shaun T. Also chalene johnson has a bunch of HIT workouts on her youtube
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Look on gumtree etc for cheap exercise bikes or treadmills. It's where i got my exercise bike. My treadmill however i did order off Amazon lol max speed of 14kph i hope isn't too slow as i generally hate running outside or infact when people are around haha. Shaun t's insanity max 30 was on youtube last time i did any i imagine it's still there, Really great workouts
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    I've been working out at home for 7 years! I don't miss the gym at all. I love just rolling out of bed, pushing play and being in the shower at my home in under an hour! No driving to a gym, waiting for equipment or freezing my butt off. All my workouts are on demand as well. I wouldn't trade BB on demand for anything!
  • ThatSillyCat
    ThatSillyCat Posts: 12 Member
    My favorite way to get exercise is running. But I'm finding it more difficult to keep going this winter. So I'm thinking about starting hiit workouts that can be done at home. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it better to push through the cold and keep running?

I did Freeletics at home for a year and got nice results (I, too, run as often as I can outside in the fresh air).
    It's an app that you can download on your phone and you don't need any tools.
    Sworkit is another option (that one is free).
    There are also nice workouts available on YouTube, and you have the possibility to invest in gym equipment to use at home... I think that the possibilities are endless, as long as you stay motivated working on your own :)
  • jessiebethin
    jessiebethin Posts: 30 Member
    My favorite workouts are also outside but in severe winter weather, I just cant get out. I decided not to join a gym because I live in a very remote area. Whatever you decide, I would encourage you to do an alternative indoor workout that you enjoy. To be completely honest, I have the Insanity workouts and I do not do them because I HATE every minute. I actually enjoy some of the zumba, pilates, and kickboxing video workouts, so I tend to do those when I cant get out. You may want to check to see what your local library has so you can find out what type of workout suits you. I am unable to do internet streamed workouts due to slow internet, but I have heard others love it. Also, shoveling snow is a great workout. I do encourage you to add in some variation besides running because it will help to improve your overall fitness level.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    I really like the Nike Training Club app and it is free:).
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Insanity is cardio Intervals Training with Shaun T. Also chalene johnson has a bunch of HIT workouts on her youtube

Insanity!! amazing and effective HIIT workout perfect for at home google search it...
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    I suggest you buy a treadmill. I have one, but now I put it in the corner just for show haha lol