High Protein Low Cal snacks?

Options
Janie5605
Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
DO they exist? I hate hate hate cottage cheese and am getting a little burnt out on low fat cheese sticks and yogurt. Any suggestions? I'd love a protein bar or something a long those lines if you guys know of any. I'm having trouble getting my protein intake up and thought it i could boost my snacks it would help.

Replies

• thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Bump - I have the same question!
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    unsalted almonds
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Edamame is a fabulous protein source. My family eats it all the time. Sam's Club has a giant bag that contains 6 bags of serving size portions. You microwave them and eat. My kids LOVE them! That is their veggie of choice. :wink:

Or how about hard boiled egg whites?
  • jennehughes
    Options
    I snack on quorn fillets :$ the're not to everybody's taste though (especially cold as I eat them) the taste can be improved by dipping in tomato sauce or cooking in a pasta sauce, bbq sauce etc etcc. Two fillets equals 94 calories and 13.1g protein.
  • jennehughes
    Options
    Edamame is a fabulous protein source. My family eats it all the time. Sam's Club has a giant bag that contains 6 bags of serving size portions. You microwave them and eat. My kids LOVE them! That is their veggie of choice. :wink:

oh god. I second the edamame. So so tasty. I can never find frozen soy beans in the supermarket anymore, though.. :/
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    tuna on a chunk of cheese
    shrimp
    almonds
    walnuts
    high protein fage yogurt
    eggs
    protein smoothies
  • deb1130
    deb1130 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like Atkins protein bars. They're not low-cal, but you can still get a lot of protein if you just eat half. I also like a slice of turkey breast spread with laughing cow cheese & rollled up, protein shakes made with unsweetened almond milk (very low cal & I love it), and boiled eggs. I love cottage cheese, too and like to mix it with lite (low-sugar, lowfat) yogurt to up the protein & cut the tartness of the yogurt.
  • hinksa
    hinksa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    KASHI!
    they have a few bars that have over 8g of protein.. but not all of them do.. make sure you read the label.

make your own trail mix.. (go to a bulk food store)
    dont buy them ALL salted.. just a few is enough (if you need/like it)

pumpkin seeds
    dry soy beans
    pecans
    walnuts
    hulled sunflower seeds
    macadamia nuts
    almonds

i then add either dark chocolate chips or dried goji/cranberries/blueberries just for a little different mix..
    a 1/4 cup of this mix is about 150 calories and 10g ish of protein..

but its nice to have a big bag in the cupboard and if you are running out of the house its easy to put some in a small container, or even leave a little baggie in your glove box .
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Shrimp
    Chicken breast tenderloins (I cook a bunch at the beginning of the week and use for snacks/salads)
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% Greek yogurt.
  • bearsfan2334
    bearsfan2334 Posts: 137
    Options

oh god. I second the edamame. So so tasty. I can never find frozen soy beans in the supermarket anymore, though.. :/

I saw these at Wal-mart in the frozen section the other day! I forget what brand though... Around $3-$4 for the 6 individual packs.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I keep shredded Chicken Breasts in the freezer ready to go, I like cottage cheese mixed with a little low sugar jam to make it sweet, and I'm not against having a protein shake for a snack every now and then...
  • Boo67
    Boo67 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A small handful of nuts & seeds is good & release energy slowly, love pumpkin & sunflower, you could also add a few acai berries. Mini bananas, slice of turkey or an egg white omelette. :happy:
  • hajra123
    hajra123 Posts: 13
    Options
    boiled egg whites
    fat free greek yoghurt with 10 almonds
    tuna with low fat mayo on ryvita crackers
    smoothie made with soya milk, silken tofu, blueberries, strawberries or raspberries
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Spirutein protein mixes: Chocolate PB is my fave.
    Luna Protein bars: all flavors.
    FAGE Greek Yogurt.