Benefits of exercise?

Babs1
Babs1 Posts: 4 Member
Sorry about the numpty question, but I'd appreciate an answer from anybody who works in the medical or fitness field.

I try to stick to my allotted calories each day, and eat back most of my exercise calories. Am I right in thinking that the exercise also keeps my metabolism highish? I'm assuming exercise doesn't only serve the role of allowing me to eat a bit more, but also helps me burn it just a little faster.

I know it's a really basic question, but would appreciate a knowledgable answer.

Many thanks!

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Exercise has numerous benefits, and not just on our "outer body". Cardio strengthens your lungs and heart, while strength and stretching help your muscles, tendons, and ligaments "stay young". Yes, it does also help boost your metabolism.

That said, it also has a positive effect on your mood, digestion, skin, and so many other things. Exercise is the fountain of youth.
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Weight training builds muscle, which speeds up your metabolism. It also creates lean muscle mass. Cardio exercise is great for your heart & lungs and can increase bone density.
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Good question, I'm always afraid to eat my exercise cals and before I got my heart rate monitor I'm glad I never since mfp was way off mark for me. I kinda stay to normal calorie amount but have a naughty unmarked treat at weekend
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Exercise has numerous benefits, and not just on our "outer body". Cardio strengthens your lungs and heart, while strength and stretching help your muscles, tendons, and ligaments "stay young". Yes, it does also help boost your metabolism.

That said, it also has a positive effect on your mood, digestion, skin, and so many other things. Exercise is the fountain of youth.
    yup, def on the mood. i find days i dont get out and do a little something, atleast walk, i am groggy and lazy and not in the greatest mood. days i go out and do something, im much happier, and more energized as well.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Muscle burns calories more efficiently. More muscle=better burn. Not to mention, exercise increases your energy levels. Ever heard the phrase "it takes energy to make energy"? I live by it (even though I dislike exercising)! :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member

AMEN!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Use it or lose it - this applies to muscle! Exercise helps you keep the muscle you already have. You don't want to be all flabby by the time you are 50. Flab has no shape - muscle is more compact.

Regular exercise helps me sleep better.

Lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar