I need some help....please

Options
I have polycystic ovary syndrome and loosing weight is almost impossible.
I go to yoga 2 times a week, pilates 2 times a week, Grit 3 times a week and a body pump class once a week. I workout 5 to 6 days a week and eat 1200 calories a day. I drink alcohol once every 2 weeks on date night and since I started 2 months ago I gained 6 lbs. No it is not muscle. Help me. I love working out but I am really disappointed. I am 5 ft 8 and 231.2 lbs my IBM is 37.3.
I need to loose weight and I need advise.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Focus on the calories. How's your logging? Are you using a food scale for all solids? Measuring cups and spoons used for all liquids? Logging everything that passes your lips? Using accurate entries? Using the recipe builder? Accurately tracking exercise calories?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, would you be willing to make your diary public? It would provide some valuable data.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I started at your weight 9 months ago and my PCOS hasnt slowed me down at all. I even drink often. Get a food scale. What the guy above me said if it were true you were only eating 1200 you would be losing. You cant gain off 1200. You have to be measuring wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I go to yoga 2 times a week, pilates 2 times a week, Grit 3 times a week and a body pump class once a week. I workout 5 to 6 days a week and eat 1200 calories a day. I drink alcohol once every 2 weeks on date night and since I started 2 months ago I gained 6 lbs. No it is not muscle. Help me. I love working out but I am really disappointed. I am 5 ft 8 and 231.2 lbs my IBM is 37.3.
    The workouts you're doing don't burn that many calories with MAYBE the exception of Bodypump. Yoga and Pilates MAY burn you 250-300 calories in an hour. With clients I have with PCOs, I have them do more circuit type training and they don't rest much between sets. Even then, they are still moving around (think boxers shuffle here) to keep their heart rate up the whole time. They still lose slower than the average person, but they lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you can exercise til your blue in the face and if you are eating more than you burn you will gain weight, if you eat less you will lose. I have a metabolic disorder and I still lose eating in a deficit,yes its a LOT slower than It should be(like when Im set to lose 1/2 lb a week Im lucky if I lose 0.2lbs) but its still a loss. for me I have to set my calorie goals a little less than MFP gives me.

so If it gives me say 1800 calories to lose 1/2 lb I have to eat 1700 or even 1600 calories. I weigh everything on a scale. sometimes my deficit is a lot higher with exercise and still weight loss is SLOW. but right now Im at maintenance to give myself a break during the winter,I will get back to my deficit once it gets warmer out(personal reasons).

if you are truly eating 1200 calories you would be losing weight,unless you are retaining water which is possible since you are working out more. and you cannot go any lower than 1200. 1200 is the minimum for very short,sedentary or elderly women(or a combination of the 3).At your weight and height you need to be eating more than 1200 calories to lose. your TDEE is Im betting higher than 1200 calories. if you work out that much you need to fuel your body and your workouts. get a food scale if you dont have one, weigh everything solid and semi solid in grams and pick proper entries(a lot of entries are wrong). packaging serving sizes can be off by up to 20% as well(I learned that the hard way)..also if you are free eating on the weekends that can blow any deficit you may have out of the water as well.
  • tiffanttomlin
    tiffanttomlin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you. I will measure my foods. Can I use measuring cups or should I purchase a food scale? I must be eating to many calories still. I prepare my week of meals today so they are done for the week already.
    As far as my workouts maybe I need to change some of my classes or can I add some running into the mix as well.
    Thanks again. I was so upset today thinking all my effort would not effect my weight to becoming healthier.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and I find I have to be meticulous in measuring my food and I've had more success lifting weights progressively when it comes to weight loss. I still do small amounts of cardio but it's definitely lifting that has helped when it comes to exercise.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    without an open diary, all any of us can say is ' you are eating more than you think you are'
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you. I will measure my foods. Can I use measuring cups or should I purchase a food scale? I must be eating to many calories still. I prepare my week of meals today so they are done for the week already.
    As far as my workouts maybe I need to change some of my classes or can I add some running into the mix as well.
    Thanks again. I was so upset today thinking all my effort would not effect my weight to becoming healthier.

food scale, you're eating more than you think.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have success with:

1) Accurate calorie counting at a moderate deficit.
    2) Eating between 100 to 150g of carbs per day. Many of us are insulin resistant and this can be a huge help.
    3) Vigorous exercise at least 45 minutes, 6 days a week. Yoga is beneficial, but it won't count. I use the indoor rower, bike, run, and lift. But I don't count the lifting toward my daily minutes. On lifting days, I also bike or run.

I'm 35 lbs down. 42 left.

It's not impossible. It's going to be slow, but you can do it!
  • LeeBGoode
    LeeBGoode Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a food scale. Measuring cups and spoons are not standardized and vary widely. Also, if you are eating back some of the calories you burn, understand that a lot of the estimates for calories burned are WAY off. I Would start with measuring, and then looking at how many calories you want to eat back, and then go from there.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I'm all for yoga and pilates, i love strengthening through stretch and poise and keeping my core solid... but i'm at maintenance. It's a great idea to keep doing these things to avoid risk of injury, but for loss, they don't burn much i'm afraid. If you want to shock your body into shifting weight, you need to push it harder. Body pump is a great class, more of that style of workout is perfect for your needs right now. Also you may need to be stricter than others without pcos on your intake, that diary needs to be water tight to start with, once you get into the losing flow you can allow some anomalies but if you want to start a change, you have to make a big one. massive good luck i really hope you find success with some of the advice on this thread, people have given you some great pointers :)
  • tiffanttomlin
    Options
    I have earned a ton. Thanks.
  • tiffanttomlin
    Options
    Learned
  • tiffanttomlin
    Options
    without an open diary, all any of us can say is ' you are eating more than you think you are'

• tiffanttomlin
    Options
    How do I get my meal plan to be open?
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I have PCOS and have lost 60 lbs in 7 months. I can give you some help if you want.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think several people have mentioned more accurate measuring/weighing of your food. I also suggest more cardio and possibly you need to consider medication. I take metformin for insulin resistance associated with PCOS. It helps. You may want to discuss with your doctor if medication will be helpful for you. I lose slowly but I do lose.